Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-17-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Multiple devices in different formats

I know some of you have more than one device supporting different formats, such as a kindle with mobi and different device supporting epub. When reading a book do you only read the one specific book/format on one ereader or do you switch back and forth between a mobi and then to epub or the other way around. If so, do you just remember the page/chapter you were on?

The reason for my question is I have a Kindle but am thinking of adding a Nook Color for night/bed reading and surfing.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
I know some of you have more than one device supporting different formats, such as a kindle with mobi and different device supporting epub. When reading a book do you only read the one specific book/format on one ereader or do you switch back and forth between a mobi and then to epub or the other way around. If so, do you just remember the page/chapter you were on?

The reason for my question is I have a Kindle but am thinking of adding a Nook Color for night/bed reading and surfing.

Carol
I'd say I don't switch back and forth very much. When I have, the page number isn't very useful. Mostly I flip pages until I find my spot, like I would if I lost my place in a paper book.

Greg Weeks
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Switch back and forth between Kindle and Nook STR. A quick search for 3 or 4 words and I'm right back to reading.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:

Why not root and/or put generic Android on the Nook and get the Andoid Kindle App for reading the same books as you have on the Kindle?

The Nook boots first from the SD card if you have one and it is bootable. And you can buy SD cards with CM already installed. You can install the Kindle and B&N apps on that, and when you want a pure Nook experience, just shut down, remove the card, and reboot.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Why not root and/or put generic Android on the Nook and get the Andoid Kindle App for reading the same books as you have on the Kindle?

The Nook boots first from the SD card if you have one and it is bootable. And you can buy SD cards with CM already installed. You can install the Kindle and B&N apps on that, and when you want a pure Nook experience, just shut down, remove the card, and reboot.
Yes I may one of the pre made cards if I get a nook. Maybe not right away though.

I'm not familiar with Android. Does the Kindle android app sync like the apple one. Do you have to put it in a special folder like you do with the iPhone.

Carol
Advert
Old 09-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I read different books on my different ereaders.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #7
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I have tried reading the same book on both a Kobo and a Kindle, switching between chapters. The reading experience was essentially identical; the Kobo has more display control but that's entirely a matter of personal taste. I currently read on one or the other depending on where the content was purchased.

I like the idea of syncing but the reality is I am not going to read on a Blackberry Torch; I'll surf news sites there if I have spare time. And I dislike long form reading on a computer with the exception of lengthier newspaper articles.

So for me, syncing is most helpful as a back up. I happen to have two Kindles and two Kobos so if the battery dies on one, I can pick up where I left on by firing up the back up device.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I'm not familiar with Android. Does the Kindle android app sync like the apple one. Do you have to put it in a special folder like you do with the iPhone.
I don't have anything Android, Apple, or Microsoft, so I have no direct experience with "Kindle for X" for any X except a Kindle. But I see no reason that syncing would be any different between them, except for whatever complications have been added by Apple lately in their quest for ever higher levels of jerkdom.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool nope

i have two kindles, a 2nd gen and a 3rd gen [wifi] and actually the k2 is my wife's reader. i have reader software that is capable of displaying most ebook formats on my pc, but the k3 reader is the only device that i actually read. i don't want a tablet or a netbook and i don't read on my pc. nuff said by me.
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #10
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Yes I may one of the pre made cards if I get a nook. Maybe not right away though.

Carol
I have iMac Running OSX, Android Gingerbread phone, Android Honeycomb Tablet, Android CM7 Nook Color, and a Windows 7 PC that ALL run the Kindle App. Whisper Sync works remarkable well, and as long as I let all the devices on the Internet it syncs great.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:31 PM   #11
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have just the Nook Color and it is rooted. I got it free too. I used my Am Ex points.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Also consider two other tablets that should be out soon - Kindle Tablet and Lenovo IdeaPad A1; and posibly a Nook Color 2.

The Kindle and Lenovo will natively run the Kindle for Android app; and the Nook Color will also run it after a simple root. You'll be able to sync your reading between your Kindle and an Android tablet.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:26 AM   #13
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I'd just wait for the Kindle tablet and see if you like it. Two formats is a hassle.

I have a Kobo and Kindle but do almost all of my reading on the Kindle. Nothing against the Kobo but it's a 1st generation device and the Kindle is 3rd generation, and the Amazon shopping experience beats everyone else hands-down.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #14
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Also consider two other tablets that should be out soon - Kindle Tablet and Lenovo IdeaPad A1; and posibly a Nook Color 2.

The Kindle and Lenovo will natively run the Kindle for Android app; and the Nook Color will also run it after a simple root. You'll be able to sync your reading between your Kindle and an Android tablet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
I'd just wait for the Kindle tablet and see if you like it. Two formats is a hassle.

I have a Kobo and Kindle but do almost all of my reading on the Kindle. Nothing against the Kobo but it's a 1st generation device and the Kindle is 3rd generation, and the Amazon shopping experience beats everyone else hands-down.
I do want to check out what Amazon is putting forth as their tablet. But am getting impatient. I think it will be a closed system though. And if so I just may opt for the Nook Color and buy one of the CM7 SD cards.

Wish Amazon would hurry up and announce already if they are coming out with a tablet.

Carol
Old 09-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #15
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
If you are going to get a tablet... I would not get the Amazon one because any Android or iOS tablet can read Amazon books AND Nook books AND just about every other kind of ebook. The Amazon one is likely to be locked to Amazon only.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote