Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-05-2012, 04:20 AM   #1
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
European ruling could have major impact on e-books

Europe's highest court has ruled that reselling software licences is legal. Among other things this could have a major impact on the redistribution of computer games and e-books.

The European Court of Justice (ECJ) case involved Oracle, which lost its case on July 4 to the ruling that software vendors have no rights to block resale.

According to a TechCentral report, the ruling means software authors cannot oppose any resale of their product, as the exclusive right of distribution of a copy of a computer program covered by such a licence is exhausted on its first sale, This applies to downloaded software or that which is bought on CD or DVD. The ECJ's ruling sets a precedent for trading used software licences throughout the European Union.

Last edited by terencek; 07-05-2012 at 06:07 AM. Reason: paraphrasing
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I disagree. I think it applies mainly to software and games that comes with licenses, or physical software. Things like the Kindle Store, Apple's App Stores, Steam, and Google Play are excluded.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I disagree. I think it applies mainly to software and games that comes with licenses, or physical software. Things like the Kindle Store, Apple's App Stores, Steam, and Google Play are excluded.
Why do you think that?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The full judgement can be read in English here. See here for other languages.

It does seem that it may only apply to computer programs, in that it relies on a bit of law that is specific to computer programs, and not to general literary works.

It is a very hopeful sign that the courts consider that resale of licences to use is legal.

But even if it did apply to ebooks, DRM would prevent resale happening at the moment.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Even if just for computer software that is a huge step in the correct direction for consumers. Consumers buy but cannot control what they bought. Now they can trade and sell THEIR property regardless of what a software company desires. I hope the USA follows suit, but I doubt they will. Here in the USA big business tends to get what it wants and consumers tend to get bent over a barrel.
Advert
Old 07-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
I wonder who is going to be the first to try to fight their case with a software company that has locked their license to their PC (MS/Windows) or to their account (Steam etc)

It seems like a ruling that may have little impact. I hope it does though, I miss not been able to buy old versions of software cheaply from people who have upgraded to the latest thing There's several software packages I'm doing without atm that I'd pay a few hundred for if people could legally sell/transfer their old unused licenses.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
I miss not been able to buy old versions of software cheaply from people who have upgraded to the latest thing
If someone has upgraded to a new version, they don't have an old licence to sell. They still need the old licence as a base for the upgrade licence, in most cases.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If someone has upgraded to a new version, they don't have an old licence to sell. They still need the old licence as a base for the upgrade licence, in most cases.
That's a battle I've fought occasionally with purchasers of my own software. Some joker buys an upgrade (which costs a small fraction of the initial purchase price) and then tried to sell their original CD. Some people just don't "get it".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Years ago you could sell older software versions after buying a newer version. Even if the older version was used to get a discount on a newer version, it was still doable. For example, if I had ACME Software 2.x and I used its license to purchase ACME Software 3.x, I could sell my old ACME Software 2.x but it could no longer be used as a discounted upgrade path because I had already used it as such. I had to make it clear to the buyer that my old ACME Software 2.x was a "dead end" license, that is it could not be used for upgrades. To some people that is perfectly acceptable. It will be much less expensive to buy a dead end ACME Software 2.x license than to buy a new ACME Software 3.x license. And even with upgrade paths it might still be less expensive a couple years down the road to then buy a dead end ACME Software 3.x license after ACME Software 4.x has been released. And it will almost always be less if you wait and buy every other just out dated release. Let's face it, not all software newest releases are worth updating to and some folks would be perfectly happy to be one release behind.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #10
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
That's if they buy an upgrade license.

Some software only provide upgrade licenses if you upgrade with each version. Skip one and you've to buy again. Those old licenses would then it seems to me, be fair game to sell on. I guess I mudded the water by saying "upgrade" when it's really a re-purchase of a newer version. They're upgrading in terms of getting a newer version but not via an upgrade path/discount.

Whether you could sell an old version after using it as basis for an upgrade, I don't know. My gut says no, but with the new ruling, who knows how it would be interpreted if it also went to court. Maybe companies will instead adopt a "trade-in" policy for upgrades. You hand back the old license and they give you a new one. That would mesh with the non-digital world where upgrading a product wouldn't prevent you reselling the older version if you still had it, but trading-in the old in order to upgrade, would.

Last edited by JoeD; 07-05-2012 at 01:04 PM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #11
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Here in the USA big business tends to get what it wants and consumers tend to get bent over a barrel.
Sorry, but I get tired of hearing this stuff. We get to buy goods at lower prices in large part because we don't have legislation that is consumer biased, as they do in the UK and the EU.

It's great that folks in the EU get better consumer protection, but they pay for it every time they buy something and seem to forget the cause when they are whining about how "unfair" it is that they have to pay more. Somebody has to pay the cost, and you know it isn't the manufacturer
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #12
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Why do you think that?
For things like DRM like someone else mentioned.

But on another note... You can still get away with selling Windows licenses, you just have to make sure another computer isn't using it.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #13
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Why do you think that?
In much of Europe, the phrase "moral rights of the author," translated into various languages, is taken seriously. Unfortunately for Harry, I doubt the phrase "moral rights of the programmer" has the same resonance.
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #14
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
For things like DRM like someone else mentioned.

But on another note... You can still get away with selling Windows licenses, you just have to make sure another computer isn't using it.
Yeah. I had to do this when I put together a machine for a friend. We thought he still had his existing license sticker - but it was in a booklet that was destroyed in a wonder water-damage-fest when a pipe froze and turned his house into a mold-pit.

So, we bought a "used" XP license and it worked just fine.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Why do you think that?
I think she means that the Kindle reading app and others aren't physical media. They're just data that you download and each copy downloaded is in effect a new copy of that software. If I have a old copy of Win 98 and sell it to you I am reselling the physical media and the data that was burned to the disc by Microsoft way back in the 90's but every copy of the Kindle App is in effect a new copy, created when you download it.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote