Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-10-2023, 09:51 AM   #1
tonyRobinson
tonyRobinson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 3
5.15.1.1 still runs RUNME.sh - any hope?

To my dismay, my PW3 ran an upgrade yesterday, so I currently have no KUAL.

mrpi doesn't work, it just returns the 'destroying package' message.

However, I can still run RUNME.sh as root (mount as USB, copy RUNME.sh to mount point, unmount, put ';log runme' into search bar).

Is there any hope of getting KUAL back? I've read that the key location has changed (not that I can find that message again).
tonyRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 12:15 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyRobinson View Post
Don't feed it an (outdated) "hotfix" package, that'll work much better.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 12:15 PM   #3
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
To my dismay, my PW3 ran an upgrade yesterday, so I currently have no KUAL.

However, I can still run RUNME.sh as root (mount as USB, copy RUNME.sh to mount point, unmount, put ';log runme' into search bar).

Is there any hope of getting KUAL back? I've read that the key location has changed (not that I can find that message again).
Are you sure you attempted to install the proper package? The 'destroying package' message sounds like you attempted to install one that is not targeted for your device. There are several KUAL packages out there.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 01:00 PM   #4
tonyRobinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Don't feed it an (outdated) "hotfix" package, that'll work much better.
I didn't mention any hotfix package or any version of a hotfix package. Would you like to explain what you meant?
Old 04-10-2023, 01:17 PM   #5
tonyRobinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Are you sure you attempted to install the proper package? The 'destroying package' message sounds like you attempted to install one that is not targeted for your device. There are several KUAL packages out there.

Dave
Not only are there many KUAL packages, there are many versions of those packages, many target architectures and much documentation, so very very many ways to get this wrong. I run off the sticky thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030 which I assume means I get the latest version and I haven't checked older versions. I know I have a PW3 both because I've done this before and because I've rechecked the serial number against a wiki page. Note that even the latest version can be out of date, for example I'm looking at the README.txt for KUAL-v2.7.29-g7750a3a-20221017.tar.xz and it says that for the PW3 "Put KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 in documents folder. Run it by clicking icon." - but as stated I'm running 5.15.1.1 and it doesn't see KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2.

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned KUAL. I am running 5.15.1.1, I can still run a script as root, is there anyway to recover?
Old 04-10-2023, 01:45 PM   #6
luketheduke
Connoisseur
luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.

Device: PW3, PW2, KT2, 2xKT, 2xK3G
Quote:
I am running 5.15.1.1, I can still run a script as root, is there anyway to recover?
Same. For now, I'm made a RUNME script to open extensions like KOReader and stuff.

Also, for some reason, I cant get KTERM to open for the life of me from the RUNME script.
I tried running the kterm.sh, running the kterm binary it self, and logging the output.
Only kterm -h ever produces any result.
Somthing I'm doing wrong?

Last edited by luketheduke; 04-10-2023 at 01:47 PM.
luketheduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 02:05 PM   #7
tonyRobinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by luketheduke View Post
Same. For now, I'm made a RUNME script to open extensions like KOReader and stuff.

Also, for some reason, I cant get KTERM to open for the life of me from the RUNME script.
I tried running the kterm.sh, running the kterm binary it self, and logging the output.
Only kterm -h ever produces any result.
Somthing I'm doing wrong?
It's good to know I'm not alone, thanks. I also tried to run the kterm binary, it would feel so good to get an interactive root shell and poke about a bit.
Old 04-10-2023, 11:02 PM   #8
luketheduke
Connoisseur
luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.

Quote:
It's good to know I'm not alone, thanks. I also tried to run the kterm binary, it would feel so good to get an interactive root shell and poke about a bit.
You might still be able to install UsbNetwork (if you haven't already) and ssh into the kindle.
Old 04-11-2023, 04:35 AM   #9
tonyRobinson

Quote:
You might still be able to install UsbNetwork (if you haven't already) and ssh into the kindle.
Thanks a lot, this does look like my best way forward. My RUNME.sh has

/bin/sh /mnt/us/usbnet/bin/usbnetwork > /mnt/us/RUNME.log

and it seems to work, in that ';log runme' says that it's toggling between usbnet and usbms.

Now ssh in as root over wifi used to work for me, I guess I'll have to relearn it and to do a lot of logging to get this going again. But there is now hope, thanks for that.
Old 04-11-2023, 10:31 AM   #10
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
I can't really explain the mechanism, but this worked for me (KO3).
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 12:53 PM   #11
luketheduke
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
I can't really explain the mechanism, but this worked for me (KO3).
Worked like a charm! Thanks!
Old 04-11-2023, 12:58 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Hotfix packages are designed for the UYK updater (Update Your Kindle, a.k.a., the stock OTA updater). They *can* run under MRPI, but it *will* validate them like UYK (meaning they'll fail to pass with a "destroying package" warning on unsupported firmwares).

But, everything that is packaged as a hotfix is also packaged as a standard, unversioned package, too. (i.e., JB bridge for the JB hotfix, and the non _hotfix files for each KUAL Booklet variant).

TL;DR: Never feed MRPI hotfix packages, use the standard one for what you want to install instead. (That'll most likely be coplate's KUAL installer in this context).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-11-2023 at 01:00 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 04:09 PM   #13
tonyRobinson

Quote:
Worked like a charm! Thanks!
And for me too - thanks so much.

So I know that the instructions say don't do this, but I did it anyway, I have a PW3 and I used
Update_KUALBooklet_hotfix_v2.7.29_install.bin Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7.29_install.bin into mrpackages and then ran ';log mrpi' which invalidated one and one worked. I could have sworn I'd tried that before, and pretty much everything else that MRPI can install, but this time it worked and that's what counts.

I had USBNetwork installed but sshd was failing for some reason, it's still not 100% reliable, I'll look at that tomorrow. The 5.15.1.1 'upgrade' blatted my /etc/passwd, but having given it a new root passwd I'm back ssh in over WiFi, so I'm very happy.

Tomorrow's job is to research all the OTA blockers! I've had Alpine Linux take up most of my space for years, I think when I deleted it then the OTA had enough space to do a download, which is why I was hit by this so late.

Many thanks to all that have helped here, I had pretty much given up hope, but now I have a super lightweight Linux box and all my books to take on long distance wild camps again.
Old 05-19-2023, 11:00 AM   #14
DINA51
DINA51 began at the beginning.

Device: KO3
The google following is the translation, please forgive me if it is blurry ��
--------------------
I am from China and my device is KO3
First of all, I have never had any interest in jailbreaking and piracy, the Amazon e-book store is very convenient and cheap enough. Unfortunately, the KINDLE system made by Amazon is very bad! I try not to upgrade it.
But always got framed twice by Amazon's way of upgrading!
For the first time, 5.12.3 was forced to upgrade, and it was finally maintained at 5.14.2. For this reason, I complained to the headquarters, but nothing worked. Just a few months ago, it was quietly updated to 5.14.3 by Amazon, which just closed the last system version that can be jailbroken. I am very angry!��
----------------------
So, now I'm only eager to go back to a practical version of the system by jailbreaking and then downgrading the system.
And your work is my only hope. I hope you can break Amazon's code as soon as possible and give us a chance to downgrade the system.

Thank you very much, I will always look forward to it, and wish you all the best of luck!������
DINA51 is offline   Reply With Quote