Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your Covid vaccination status?
I’m fully vaccinated and it’s been over two weeks. 55 63.95%
I’m fully vaccinated but it’s been less than two weeks. 9 10.47%
I’ve had my first shot of two. 12 13.95%
My first shot is scheduled. 1 1.16%
I’m qualified, but I haven’t been able to schedule a shot yet. 1 1.16%
I’ve not yet qualified or it’s not available here yet. 3 3.49%
I’m still undecided. 2 2.33%
I won’t be getting it because of contraindications 1 1.16%
I won’t be getting it for some non-medical reason 2 2.33%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 11:46 AM   #31
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
We're not going to rehash all of this this in this new poll thread. That was one of the stipulations of its creation.
Wasn't wanting a re-hash. Just used that as an example to amplify my comment that people have different views. You said, "The vaccination can only reduce the chances of getting or transmitting the virus, right?" ... which I happen to agree with 100%. But there are people with a totally different viewpoint on that claim. They believe that getting the vaccine can indeed harm other people. I was trying to point out that no matter how ridiculous we may believe some statement to be, as soon as we say that, we will find someone who actually believes what we think is ridiculous. And they would say the same thing about us. People have been disagreeing about things ever since people were invented. Generally, the intelligent ones would stay in the middle and the fools would stake out the extremes. But it seems like when covid/vaccines are involved, even the intelligent are dividing and sliding out towards the extremes.
Old 06-23-2021, 12:38 PM   #32
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Okay. But what I said about the vaccine not using a live virus sample still applies. We don't have to worry about a live virus being transmitted from the vaccine to us or to another person.
Yep. I would never have gotten the vaccine if it used a live virus.
Old 06-23-2021, 01:58 PM   #33
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Okay. But what I said about the vaccine not using a live virus sample still applies. We don't have to worry about a live virus being transmitted from the vaccine to us or to another person.
Sure. But the belief about altering DNA are among the worst falsehoods about the vaccines being shared on social media and conspiracy sites. Making a comment like that isn't responsible, not when it is a flat out lie.
Old 06-23-2021, 02:56 PM   #34
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Sure. But the belief about altering DNA are among the worst falsehoods about the vaccines being shared on social media and conspiracy sites. Making a comment like that isn't responsible, not when it is a flat out lie.
I'm hard of hearing and likely heard it incorrectly. I never mean to state things incorrectly, but poop happens sometimes. Get over it and move along.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:01 PM   #35
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I'm hard of hearing and likely heard it incorrectly. I never mean to state things incorrectly, but poop happens sometimes. Get over it and move along.
Considering that spreading lies about Covid-19 vaccines causing DNA damage has been one of the pet activities of the anti-vaxxers, it seems hard to believe that anyone who has not been napping under a rock for the last year had not heard of it.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:00 PM   #36
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Yet you left the false info in your earlier comment, for anyone to read. You know now it is incorrect, why not not remove it?
Old 06-23-2021, 06:18 PM   #37
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD

(source)
Old 06-23-2021, 06:49 PM   #38
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
Unfortunately my wife is having chemotherapy for the next year and has been advised not to have the vaccination until that.
Cancer-related vaccine deferrals, at at least one U.S. comprehensive cancer center, by some measures the best one, are much shorter than that. I’m not saying we know better — often we do and often we don’t.

If your wife’s medical staff listens to President Duterte, they will soon all be vaccinated, making the importance of Philippines patients being vaccinated perhaps a little less.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 06-23-2021 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:33 PM   #39
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Got my shots (Moderna) in March and April and just had my annual physical. I get a blood test as part of the physical to check boring things like cholesterol, blood sugar, etc., etc. I asked the doctor if the blood test would check for COVID antibodies. She said that they didn't routinely do that but could if I was interested.

I was definitely interested.

Got the results back today. I am awash in antibodies (my non-technical assessment).
Old 06-23-2021, 08:37 PM   #40
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
There are plenty of good explanations for how mRNA vaccines (like the Moderna vaccine) work. This one is short and simple.

Old 06-23-2021, 09:42 PM   #41
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Your wife takes herself to her chemo sessions?
No, she goes with her niece. The hospital only allows patients and staff to enter the hospital. People accompanying patients have to wait outside and she prefers me not having to do that. Despite my protests.

With regard to my own vaccination, I know in the past people receiving some vaccines that the medical advise was not to be around immune compromised people for a timr. It may be the case that this advice is no longer valid so I am getting medical advice to check.

It was my wife's Oncologist said to wait until her chemotherapy had finished before getting vaccinated. Vaccination was not available before she started chemotherapy.

I did not intend to restart the arguments about pro/anti vaxxing. I find the anti vaxxers arguments ludicrous but they are entitled to their ludicrous opinions.

Thank you for the concern you are showing for my wife's and my health. It is much appreciated.

Last edited by Thasaidon; 06-23-2021 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:11 AM   #42
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
With regard to my own vaccination, I know in the past people receiving some vaccines that the medical advise was not to be around immune compromised people for a timr. It may be the case that this advice is no longer valid so I am getting medical advice to check.
Vaccines using live viruses potentially have some amount of viral shedding; for example, the rotavirus vaccine has been known to shed through the stool. But none of the COVID-19 vaccines use live viruses.
Old 06-24-2021, 06:34 AM   #43
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
they are entitled to their ludicrous opinions.
No, they aren’t. No one is entitled to an opinion contrary to fact. That might be the single largest issue today, that people think all opinions are equally valid and even that they label them as such. An opinion should be a matter of taste or concerning an issue with ramifications. Believing and promulgating a false notion is sheerest dishonesty and duplicity.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:37 AM   #44
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
No, they aren’t. No one is entitled to an opinion contrary to fact. That might be the single largest issue today, that people think all opinions are equally valid and even that they label them as such. An opinion should be a matter of taste or concerning an issue with ramifications. Believing and promulgating a false notion is sheerest dishonesty and duplicity.
The famous facts and “alternative facts”.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:39 AM   #45
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
No one is entitled to an opinion contrary to fact.
The problem is, there are too few true "facts". 2+2=4 is a fact. "The virus did not come from a lab in China" is not a fact, although it was treated as one for a long time. Now we come to "The vaccines do not modify your DNA". Personally, I believe that to be a fact. But the only reason I do is because some very smart scientists have said it is a fact. And their explanations are believable and plausible. But I have zero personal knowledge or experience to prove or disprove that as a fact. So I am "choosing my facts" when I say I believe it does not modify your DNA. If think it highly unlikely that the vaccines modify any DNA based on what I've read, but will I leave the door open to that opinion/alternate fact? Yes I will, just a little crack. But as of this moment in time I will state "No, the vaccines don't modify your DNA" when engaging in conversations. I state that as a fact, but really, it's just my opinion.

We have to be careful throwing the "fact" word around. Sometimes it turns out that what we thought was a fact, turns out not to be. So people are indeed entitled to an opinion that is contrary to the so-called facts. That's the basis of how we find out the things we thought were facts are not indeed facts.
Closed Thread