Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-04-2018, 03:20 AM   #1
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
Firmware 4.9.11311

Is it worthwhile to install the latest firmware (4.9.11311) on the KA1 if "Enhanced page-turn speed" is not used?

Good luck.
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:45 AM   #2
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
It's only for devices:
Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v1 Mark 6
Kobo Aura ONE (not LE) Mark 6
Kobo Aura Edition 2 v1 Mark 6
Kobo Aura ONE LE Mark 6
Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v2 Mark 7
Kobo Aura Edition 2 v2 Mark 7
Clara HD Mark 7

Release Notes:
Quote:
Enhanced page-turn speed tips:
• While still holding, drag your finger across the bottom edge of the screen to change speed or direction.

• While reading a Kobo book, hold the bottom corner of your screen to quickly flip through pages in either direction.

More changes & improvements:
• You are no longer limited to 100 in-book search results.

• Fixed: Sideloaded books were not always presented in the correct date order (including in My Books, Home, Sleep, and Power off views).
Download links:

Mark 4 firmware 4.9.11314 build number (8c2fd38797).
Mark 5 firmware 4.9.11314 build number (8c2fd38797).
Mark 6 firmware 4.9.11311 build number (112578920c).
Mark 7 firmware 4.9.11311 build number (112578920c).

*Mark 3 not available.

Last edited by oren64; 07-05-2018 at 06:18 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2018, 05:06 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Finally one of the long standing grips has been fixed. The 100 search result limit is now gone.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:51 AM   #4
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I download firmware 4.9.11311 mark 4 to my device, in the device information it show as firmware 4.9.11314 build number (8c2fd38797).

Mark 6 build number (112578920c), I suspect firmware 4.9.11314 is also in mark 5 and 7.

edit: mark 5 is 4.9.11314, mark 7 is 4.9.11311.

Last edited by oren64; 07-04-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:54 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
I download firmware 4.9.11311 mark 4 to my device, in
I'll wait until the patches are ready for this firmware. I was going to give the previous firmware a go later today. But I'll wait for this one to be fully ready to go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2018, 06:06 AM   #6
oren64
I need a chapter break

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'll wait until the patches are ready for this firmware. I was going to give the previous firmware a go later today. But I'll wait for this one to be fully ready to go.
Sorry I saved the post before I finished writing, see the post above.

Last edited by oren64; 07-04-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:46 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As has been discovered, firmware version 4.9.11311 has been released. This is a mainly a fix for 4.8.11090 and should be the merge of firmware versions for the Clara HD and other devices.

The release notes cover the changes I know about. But, I'll add a comment about the search.

The in-book search limit has been removed, except if the search term is three characters long or less. This is deliberate and not a bug. The search also seems to be faster.

Recent known and new bugs:
  • Still a tap to change the reading progress display.
  • For epubs, the initial display is shifted up so that there is virtually no top margin. But, when you change the reading settings, the page is reformatted to have the usual top margin. It will also be fixed after using the previous location button, after navigating to another page via the ToC or the navigation bar.

For calibre, I will be checking in the update to support the 4.9.x firmware shortly. This will be in the next release. But, there are no changes needed except to bump the supported version. It is safe to use the "Attempt to support newer firmware version" option in the driver.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:55 AM   #8
Lusephur
Connoisseur
Lusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma

They also fixed a peeve I didn't realise I had until they changed it.
The book cover when device was sleeping, the progress panel/widget (call it whatever you want) is now semi transparent.

https://imgur.com/a/Uq6U4l2

Last edited by Lusephur; 07-04-2018 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Added photo
Lusephur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:34 AM   #9
Nemo1984
Connoisseur
Nemo1984 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Since the Kobo Glo HD is also a Mark 6 device, what would be the effects of installing it?

Thanks!
Nemo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:42 AM   #10
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

Recent known and new bugs:
  • Still a tap to change the reading progress display.

Is this a bug?? I like the single tap to toggle through the reading progress display options.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:28 AM   #11
Zorka
Enthusiast
Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kobo Mini(5), Kobo Touch, Kobo H2O, Poke2, Pocketbook Color, Remarkabl
Installed on Mini. Working fine so far....
Zorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:32 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Is this a bug?? I like the single tap to toggle through the reading progress display options.
I don't think it is deliberate. Previously, you needed to do a long press on the page number to change it. Changing to a tap should be OK, but with this, two of the page turning options mean that it can be hard to open the menu. You need to tap a little above the page number. They have also changed the area to change the display from just the page number to most of the bottom of the screen. And overall, it is just to easy to accidentally change the display.

Until Kobo tell me it's a deliberate change and won't be changed back, I'll keep considering it a bug.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:33 AM   #13
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
I download firmware 4.9.11311 mark 4 to my device, in the device information it show as firmware 4.9.11314 build number (8c2fd38797).

Mark 6 build number (112578920c), I suspect firmware 4.9.11314 is also in mark 5 and 7.

edit: mark 5 is 4.9.11314, mark 7 is 4.9.11311.
Hmm. I wonder what this is about. Do any affiliates get it for mark 4 and 5 (none of the ones I know of do)?

Also, I wonder why kobo has been messing with the firmware versions recently (4.8 vs 4.8.10956 in mark 7, and this). I might change my firmware page to check the actual versions in the update zip. For now, I'm going to write a tool to extract the firmware version and revision from the update zips.

I'm going to go and see if there is any obvious differences between the two versions you discovered.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:03 AM   #14
oren64
I need a chapter break

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Hmm. I wonder what this is about. Do any affiliates get it for mark 4 and 5 (none of the ones I know of do)?

Also, I wonder why kobo has been messing with the firmware versions recently (4.8 vs 4.8.10956 in mark 7, and this). I might change my firmware page to check the actual versions in the update zip. For now, I'm going to write a tool to extract the firmware version and revision from the update zips.

I'm going to go and see if there is any obvious differences between the two versions you discovered.
From the filel "libnickel..." size that I check the two firmware are different.

You forget to add the Clara HD to your site.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:20 AM   #15
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
OK. Between the 2 versions, it does not seem like there are any major changes (at least in the symbols and strings, as I don't have time to compare the assembly from objdump). The biggest changes seems to be a restructuring of the Table of Contents view and some internal changes to the code which handles the sorting and layout of the different views.

Also, based on the layout of the update zip (I haven't actually tested it by sideloading), it seems like kobo has moved .kobo-images to .kobo/images in 11314.

Another thing (but I might be incorrect about this) is that Kobo seems to be removing the mini-specific CSS from nickel.

I have attached a zip with the dumped symbols and strings.
Attached Files
File Type: zip fw.zip (1.81 MB, 256 views)
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote