Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-17-2018, 10:12 AM   #46
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
When an image is so very large that it overrides the standard forum margins, please take the time to add it as a thumbnail instead.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:26 AM   #47
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
When an image is so very large that it overrides the standard forum margins, please take the time to add it as a thumbnail instead.
Sorry. I don't know how to do that. I would have found a smaller image, but magenta Aura images are rare.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2018, 10:39 AM   #48
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Incidentally, I would love if Kobo (or any manufacturer) would rip-off the metallic designs of the old Sony readers. Those babies were beautifully designed.
Yep. I really liked the PRS-350 except for slow refresh and lack of front light. The rubber texture back was really convenient, too.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:12 AM   #49
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Sorry. I don't know how to do that. I would have found a smaller image, but magenta Aura images are rare.
I'll respond here for the benefit of anyone else who might not know how to do this, as it's not obvious although it's easy.

When posting, don't pick "Post Quick Reply." Choose "Go Advanced" or quote anther post. When the new window opens, scroll down to "Manage Attachments" and click. Paste the image URL in the box that says "Upload File from a URL," close the window and that's it! If it sounds complicated, it isn't. Try it once and then you'll have it.

I'll add that while we're not going to go all draconian on image sizes, the restriction is in the Guidelines for the reason that it's a courtesy to fellow members to keep threads legible. And you can always ask!

Sorry for the thread hijack, folks.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:48 AM   #50
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Incidentally, I would love if Kobo (or any manufacturer) would rip-off the metallic designs of the old Sony readers. Those babies were beautifully designed.
Me too. Very nicely made with kind of "clingy" back texture that stopped them from slipping in your hand. And I have to agree with Richwood (I haven't seen any posts from him lately), the red Sonys were really classy looking (so were the navy blue ones, if you could get them into enough light to tell them from black).

Last edited by rcentros; 04-17-2018 at 11:50 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2018, 12:04 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So what sort of changes would you make to Kobo hardware to make it more interesting?

What Readers are of an interesting design?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:43 PM   #52
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So what sort of changes would you make to Kobo hardware to make it more interesting?

Try looking up the thread. I'd like metal bodies like the Sony readers had. I'm realistic to know that's probably cost prohibitive.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:14 AM   #53
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

I, personally, would like to see page turn buttons and a new, non-front-lit model.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:16 AM   #54
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Try looking up the thread. I'd like metal bodies like the Sony readers had. I'm realistic to know that's probably cost prohibitive.
Yep. Unfortunately, the Sony design was made for eReaders when the bottom lines ones were selling for $179 (and, originally, more).
Old 04-18-2018, 12:35 PM   #55
JohhnyMix
Connoisseur
JohhnyMix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O V2
I love the h2o design of the new model. but for a kobo to be perfect i want to see a NFC/Bluetooth feature where i can beam up epubs from a other mobile device.
JohhnyMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:50 PM   #56
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
What matters to me in terms of form factor is how lightweight and compact a device is. I want a light as a feather device that I can hold comfortably for long periods of time and travels easily. Hence devices heavier than 7 oz or with screen sizes larger than 6" are useless to me.

I'm a little disappointed in Kobo for going with large screens on their latest devices. You're getting into tablet territory with those sizes. Also, while Kobo is very innovative they seem a tad less refined than Kindle in some regards. Little things like adjusting the backlight on the Kindle are much smoother than the Kobo.

The reader that piques my curiosity the most is the Oxyn Boox Poke. On paper it looks great. Super light and slim, running Android in the background.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:55 PM   #57
wingmongyee
Enthusiast
wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
The Poke's weight definitely makes it very attractive to me.
wingmongyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:17 PM   #58
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
I'm a little disappointed in Kobo for going with large screens on their latest devices. You're getting into tablet territory with those sizes. Also, while Kobo is very innovative they seem a tad less refined than Kindle in some regards. Little things like adjusting the backlight on the Kindle are much smoother than the Kobo.

The reader that piques my curiosity the most is the Oxyn Boox Poke. On paper it looks great. Super light and slim, running Android in the background.
I actually love how the light adjusts on the Kobo with a quick slide on the side of the screen. Much easier and quicker than on Kindles for me. (Unless they've made changes to newer Kindles that I'm not aware of.)

Agree about the Onyx Boox Poke, it looks really nice!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:44 PM   #59
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I actually love how the light adjusts on the Kobo with a quick slide on the side of the screen.
I haven't checked recently on my Aura. When you slide on the side of the screen, does the light adjust live? Or only after you let go of the screen?

One version of the firmware, when you slid two fingers up or down, the light would increase/decrease like it was using a dimmer switch. But that feature has been broken for a long time.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:10 PM   #60
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I haven't checked recently on my Aura. When you slide on the side of the screen, does the light adjust live? Or only after you let go of the screen?

One version of the firmware, when you slid two fingers up or down, the light would increase/decrease like it was using a dimmer switch. But that feature has been broken for a long time.
On my H2O 1 it adjusts as you slide your finger up and down the left side of the screen, just like a dimmer switch. I use it often.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad, kindle, kobo, nook, onyx