Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-21-2017, 12:23 AM   #46
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
The swipe up/swipe down short cut is pretty close to unusable on my Aura One. I just use the adjustment accessed from the top menu.

The swipe light adjustment shortcut works pretty well on my Aura HD. I'm running an older (3.15) firmware on the HD.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:42 AM   #47
Insomniac55
Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
I was actually just about to manually update on my H2O. Stand by, I will report back on the brightness shortcut.

UPDATE: The screen seems to flicker every time I lift my finger after swiping up or down to adjust the brightness. Is that what you're seeing too?
Yep, that's it.

Basically what's happening is that as your finger lifts off, it doesn't happen perfectly symmetrically. The IR sensors interperet this as a slight finger movement and adjust the brightness accordingly.

The algorithm should be smarter, and ignore all brightness changes made in the final few milliseconds before your finger lifts off (when your finger lifts off the screen, it should set the brightness to whatever it was a few milliseconds earlier).
Insomniac55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2017, 12:43 AM   #48
engine5
engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I've had this problem with most, if not all, of the firmwares of the KA1. You'd need to set the brightness one step before where you actually want it. If you swipe up and let go, it goes up another step; and it goes down another step when swiping down. At least, it did a few firmwares ago. I haven't used this shortcut since.
Yes, I can confirm this. Works fine on my H2O, but on the Aura One it's unusable. I have to change the brightness over menu -and also there it's a pain. It's so laggy if you choose plus or minus -and trying it direct with the switch to slide it a litte bit to the left or right is almost impossible! ...stroke he almost. It's impossible (to get it there where you want).
engine5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:53 AM   #49
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac55 View Post
Yep, that's it.

Basically what's happening is that as your finger lifts off, it doesn't happen perfectly symmetrically. The IR sensors interperet this as a slight finger movement and adjust the brightness accordingly.
That's exactly it. And it's a lot more noticeable when increasing the brightness than when lowering the light.

It's also a bit annoying.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:36 AM   #50
Insomniac55
Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

The frontlight is my biggest frustration with my H2O, and the most annoying thing about it is that it should not be difficult.

As a side note, does anyone with the H2O notice a big jump in brightness between 19% and 20%? I assume it's some quirk of the hardware and not something that will ever be changed (it's probably switching between different constant-current LED drive circuits or similar).

Last edited by Insomniac55; 04-21-2017 at 01:38 AM.
Advert
Old 04-21-2017, 01:41 AM   #51
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I don't care for the brightness gesture so thanks to help here I disabled it. I was always accidentally hitting it.

The light does seem to be more unstable during a full screen refresh it dims then brightens. Reminds me of a CFL bulb.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:41 AM   #52
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I don't care for the brightness gesture so thanks to help here I disabled it. I was always accidentally hitting it.
Yeah, same here.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:29 AM   #53
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
How is the brightness gesture disable?
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:36 AM   #54
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
By deselecting the option in the settings.

Whoops, pretend you didn't see that

Last edited by davidfor; 04-21-2017 at 08:20 PM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #55
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3478411

Sent from my XT1528

Last edited by Blossom; 04-21-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:01 AM   #56
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Yeah, I was afraid of that. I don't want to mess with the firmware.

Thanks anyway!

Last edited by petercreasey; 04-22-2017 at 01:36 PM.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:10 PM   #57
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Quote:

Once you make the change in that file it stays that way even if you upgrade your firmware. It's a simple text edit if the config file.

volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:45 PM   #58
Ceiyne
Enthusiast
Ceiyne can name that song in three notesCeiyne can name that song in three notesCeiyne can name that song in three notesCeiyne can name that song in three notesCeiyne can name that song in three notesCeiyne can name that song in three notesCeiyne can name that song in three notesCeiyne can name that song in three notesCeiyne can name that song in three notesCeiyne can name that song in three notesCeiyne can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I haven't updated my Kobo Glo HD in over a year and it's on firmware 3.16-something. I only read Japanese books on the device (I'm learning Japanese, so it's slow going) and I have some custom Japanese dictionaries for this purpose.

I've been totally out of touch with the Kobo "scene" so I don't know if I should update my firmware or not. I did some digging and see posts where people were unhappy with some post 3.19 firmwares so if I'm going to take a step backward I'd rather just keep the 3.16. Can anyone give me some insight on this?

I'm assuming I still need to back up and restore my custom dictionaries after an upgrade?
Ceiyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:19 AM   #59
Vladi69
Enthusiast
Vladi69 began at the beginning.

Device: PW3, Kobo Glo HD
Firmware update

I am owner of Kobo Glo HD after 2 days, never had a Kobo before.
My device is on firmware 4.3.8945 and would like to update it. If I understand well, this is done syncing the device, but nothing happens.
Is it normal? Should I update manually? Can you please link the thread with spet-by-step for manual update?

Thank you!
Vladi69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:55 AM   #60
Insomniac55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladi69 View Post
I am owner of Kobo Glo HD after 2 days, never had a Kobo before.
My device is on firmware 4.3.8945 and would like to update it. If I understand well, this is done syncing the device, but nothing happens.
Is it normal? Should I update manually? Can you please link the thread with spet-by-step for manual update?

Thank you!
The firmware you get depends on what region you are in. They release it region-by-region so that any bugs don't affect everyone at once.

If you want the fastest updates, connect to a computer and find the 'affiliate.conf' file in the .kobo directory of your device. Change the affiliate to 'RakutenBooks', and you should get the latest firmware.

Tags
firmware, kobo