Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-27-2014, 08:31 PM   #1
magmanpi
Enthusiast
magmanpi can extract oil from cheesemagmanpi can extract oil from cheesemagmanpi can extract oil from cheesemagmanpi can extract oil from cheesemagmanpi can extract oil from cheesemagmanpi can extract oil from cheesemagmanpi can extract oil from cheesemagmanpi can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Elipsis character displays in code view but not in book view

I'm trying to fix a book that contains many sentences that have no closing punctuation -- in this case an elipsis. These sentences all end a paragraph, and in book view there is no elipsis visible. When I look at the sentences in code view, though, there is a three-dot character that looks like an elipsis, but it's not the exact same elipsis you get when you click special characters. There's more space between the special character elipsis.

I thought it would be a simple fix to have Sigil search for the rouge elipses and replace them with the special character elipses. But when I copy the rogue elipsis out of code view and do a search for them, Sigil doesn't find them. Of course when I try to paste the code into this forum post, the rouge character also doesn't appear, which I guess is why the character doesn't appear in Sigil's book view.

The code looks like this:

<p class="calibre6">"But I would not be able to get another job, with no academic record, no past work history"</p>

In code view, there are three little dots after the word history. The sentences in question aren't broken paragraphs, though. They're supposed to end with an elipsis because the speaker has been interrupted by another person in the book, and his quote follows.

If anyone knows what the elipsis-looking characters are and how to replace them, I'd be most grateful. Thanks!
magmanpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:46 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by magmanpi View Post
I'm trying to fix a book that contains many sentences that have no closing punctuation -- in this case an elipsis. These sentences all end a paragraph, and in book view there is no elipsis visible. When I look at the sentences in code view, though, there is a three-dot character that looks like an elipsis, but it's not the exact same elipsis you get when you click special characters. There's more space between the special character elipsis.

I thought it would be a simple fix to have Sigil search for the rouge elipses and replace them with the special character elipses. But when I copy the rogue elipsis out of code view and do a search for them, Sigil doesn't find them. Of course when I try to paste the code into this forum post, the rouge character also doesn't appear, which I guess is why the character doesn't appear in Sigil's book view.

The code looks like this:

<p class="calibre6">"But I would not be able to get another job, with no academic record, no past work history"</p>

In code view, there are three little dots after the word history. The sentences in question aren't broken paragraphs, though. They're supposed to end with an elipsis because the speaker has been interrupted by another person in the book, and his quote follows.

If anyone knows what the elipsis-looking characters are and how to replace them, I'd be most grateful. Thanks!
What font are you using? It may be missing that glyph.
& hellip; or & #8230; (no space in either)

Last edited by theducks; 02-27-2014 at 11:19 PM. Reason: mising semicolon
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2014, 09:58 PM   #3
magmanpi
Enthusiast
magmanpi can extract oil from cheesemagmanpi can extract oil from cheesemagmanpi can extract oil from cheesemagmanpi can extract oil from cheesemagmanpi can extract oil from cheesemagmanpi can extract oil from cheesemagmanpi can extract oil from cheesemagmanpi can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
What font are you using? It may be mising that glyph.
& hellip; or & #8230 (no space in either)
Thanks for the response. I'm not very experienced at this, so please bear with me. I'm not sure how to check the font, but when I go to the font folder in Sigil, it's empty.

& hellip; and & #8230 are html codes for an ellipsis, correct?
Old 02-27-2014, 11:18 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I'm not very experienced at this, so please bear with me. I'm not sure how to check the font, but when I go to the font folder in Sigil, it's empty.

& hellip; and & #8230 are html codes for an ellipsis, correct?
yes, they are two ways of representing the SAME character
(and they usually show)

No fonts in the font folder just means the fonts are not EMBEDED

The line in the stylesheet
font-family: "Times New Roman", serif;

Anything other than serif or sans-serif indicates a specific font face call
When the font is not embeded, it is supplied by the system.
If the system does not have it, the generic alternate is used (serif or sans-serif part)
Old 02-28-2014, 02:14 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I would be amazed if there is a standard font on a reader that does not have the ellips on board. What you can do is extract the XTHML and open it in a hex editor to check the actual (hex)code of the ellips. That should help in solving this.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2014, 07:34 AM   #6
magmanpi
Enthusiast

Quote:
yes, they are two ways of representing the SAME character
(and they usually show)

No fonts in the font folder just means the fonts are not EMBEDED

The line in the stylesheet
font-family: "Times New Roman", serif;

Anything other than serif or sans-serif indicates a specific font face call
When the font is not embeded, it is supplied by the system.
If the system does not have it, the generic alternate is used (serif or sans-serif part)
When I check the stylesheet, the font-family is "Times New Roman", serif;

What now? Thanks!
Old 02-28-2014, 07:38 AM   #7
magmanpi
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I would be amazed if there is a standard font on a reader that does not have the ellips on board. What you can do is extract the XTHML and open it in a hex editor to check the actual (hex)code of the ellips. That should help in solving this.
Sorry for not being very familiar with this stuff, but how do I extract the XTHML, and where do I find a hex editor? Thanks for your patience.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:56 AM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Right click on the document in the Book Browser on the left. Select 'Save as'. There are various free hex editors out there. I used XVI32 in the past.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #9
magmanpi
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Right click on the document in the Book Browser on the left. Select 'Save as'. There are various free hex editors out there. I used XVI32 in the past.
Toxaris, I've found phantom em dashes that also don't appear in book view, the same as the ellipses. I downloaded a hex editor, and this is what the phantom em dash looks like:

tell me—"

And the corresponding hex numbers:

74 65 6C 6C 20 6D 65 C2 97 22

What now? Thanks!
Old 02-28-2014, 11:35 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Toxaris, I've found phantom em dashes that also don't appear in book view, the same as the ellipses. I downloaded a hex editor, and this is what the phantom em dash looks like:

tell me—"

And the corresponding hex numbers:

74 65 6C 6C 20 6D 65 C2 97 22

What now? Thanks!
Ah! that looks like there is a Character (cp1252) encoding issue with your document.

that & Agrave; should have been a & rdquo;
Old 02-28-2014, 06:57 PM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Ah! that looks like there is a Character (cp1252) encoding issue with your document.

Actually, it looks kinda like the rdquo is there, but the emdash isn't. Does anyone else think this looks like Wordperfect?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:58 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Actually, it looks kinda like the rdquo is there, but the emdash isn't. Does anyone else think this looks like Wordperfect?

Hitch

Hitch caught me again
Old 02-28-2014, 07:53 PM   #13
magmanpi
Enthusiast

Quote:

Thanks for the information. I'm afraid, though, you're talking above my lowly pay grade. I think &agrave; and &rdquo are unicode, but I'm still not sure what I need to do to fix my document. Is there a way to get Sigil to do a search and replace to find and fix the bad code? Sorry for the dumb questions and thanks for your patience.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:55 PM   #14
magmanpi
Enthusiast

Oops! I posted the above reply before I saw the latest from Hitch and theducks. I'm still lost, though.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:53 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Oops! I posted the above reply before I saw the latest from Hitch and theducks. I'm still lost, though.
Those are characters.

But Hitch may be closer (She does do this for a living), with the idea that this is a Wordperfect artifact.

Did she get that correct? (WP had it's own way of encoding some characters)