Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-11-2018, 03:47 PM   #76
the.Mtn.Man
Fanatic
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It is an epub only problem.

What I do is bring up the navigation bar and tap the return arrow on the right hand side. It will also get fixed if you navigate away from the current page and use the "Previous location" to return. Or whenever you change the font settings.
Or you can simply stick with the previous firmware and avoid the hoop-jumping altogether while we wait for a proper fix.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:22 PM   #77
Derf
Connoisseur
Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD / Mac User
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Or you can simply stick with the previous firmware and avoid the hoop-jumping altogether while we wait for a proper fix.
That's a good point. But for new users *cough*, who just bought a Clara, that last firmware had some bugs too. There is some issue with cover art of most recent not showing correctly?

If Clara users upgrade to the new firmware I believe this bug is fixed, but a new bug exists to contend with. So pick your annoyance?

Also, who is to say that the next firmware will be bug free?
Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:44 PM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Oh nevermind. I see this update isn't for the original H2O.
Of you could download a version for the H2O and side load.

http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...-4.9.11311.zip
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:27 AM   #79
Semwize

Semwize has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySemwize has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySemwize has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySemwize has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySemwize has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySemwize has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySemwize has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySemwize has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySemwize has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySemwize has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySemwize has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo
Yes, no, you try to get around this error, it's not nonsense, it's ....

Last edited by issybird; 07-13-2018 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Vulgarity deleted.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:12 PM   #80
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
After testing this firmware, that's what I'm doing.

Best regards,

[INCANUS]
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:43 PM   #81
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I fail to see why the uproar over the top margin bug; it doesn't make any difference to my reading experience.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:56 PM   #82
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook Glowlight 3, Kindle Oasis 2, Onyx T68 Lynx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derf View Post
Also, who is to say that the next firmware will be bug free?
Pretty safe to say it won't be!

I'm with those who think this is minor and easily worked around. But I know there was a bug in the past that really annoyed me that others actually thought was a feature! So obviously YMMV.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:53 PM   #83
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I fail to see why the uproar over the top margin bug; it doesn't make any difference to my reading experience.
Personally, I'm waiting for the uproar when it is fixed and the "wasted space" returns.

And I've realised how much it bugs me depends on where I am and the lighting. In bed at night with the room light off, it doesn't worry me. On the train with good lighting from multiple directions, it doesn't worry me. But, on the couch in the living room with a single light source, the top bezel tends to throw a shadow over the top line, and it does bug me. But, the fix is quick.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:05 PM   #84
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
Yes, no, you try to get around this error, it's not nonsense, it's ....
Assuming you are responding to me:

At no point have I said that this not a bug. At no point have I said it doesn't need to be fixed. And at no point have I told anyone that they must upgrade to this firmware. Or, apart from Clara HD owners, even recommended that people use it. And for the Clara HD owners, it was slight push to consider it as I think the previous firmware had a worse bug for them. All I have done is told people how to workaround the problem to give them more information to make their own decision.

And most importantly at all, I have not been insulting or denigrating when discussing this.

And there is one thing I have done, and I'm sure you haven't:

Within an hour of sitting at a computer after discovering this bug, I informed Kobo of it. And the hours delay was as I experimented with my various devices to see if it affected and to what extent. And I wanted to include screenshots in the report. Have you bothered to report the bug to Kobo?

Last edited by issybird; 07-13-2018 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Quote edited.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:40 PM   #85
the.Mtn.Man
Fanatic
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derf View Post
If Clara users upgrade to the new firmware I believe this bug is fixed, but a new bug exists to contend with. So pick your annoyance?
Par for the course for Kobo.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:41 PM   #86
the.Mtn.Man
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
It annoys me. That's all.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:53 AM   #87
Lima7
Connoisseur
Lima7 solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Lima7 solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Lima7 solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Lima7 solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Lima7 solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Lima7 solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Lima7 solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Lima7 solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Lima7 solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Lima7 solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Lima7 solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Aura
Anyone else experiencing battery problems with the new firmware?
Lima7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:00 PM   #88
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbusan View Post
The Firmware page lists this firmware as not available for Glo HD. Is this still true? Has anyone tested it already on a GloHD?

Thanks
I just installed it on my Glo HD and there's no problems at all that I can see. The fast page turns do work on the kepubs, but not on epubs. Searching brings up all entries within the book, not just the first 100 like it used to. Other than those 2 changes, I don't see anything else different, normal page turns don't seem to be any faster.

I don't know what the comments about the top navigation bar refer to, I don't see any issue. I do patch though, and especially love getting rid of the 3rd row on the home screen now. Thanks to the many people who always put in the time to give us these useful patches.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:59 PM   #89
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I don't know what the comments about the top navigation bar refer to, I don't see any issue. I do patch though, and especially love getting rid of the 3rd row on the home screen now. Thanks to the many people who always put in the time to give us these useful patches.
I can't think of a reference to a problem with the top bar. The problem that has been discussed about the top of the screen is that when an epub is opened, their is no margin at the top. Changing the font settings or any navigation involving the previous button will shift everything down to have the margin that was seen before.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:33 AM   #90
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I'm not seeing that problem at all on the Glo HD, but then I have small line spacing and very little margins either on the top or the sides. Maybe it's some specific setting in an epub causing it that the 5 books I tried just doesn't have that setting? But I see no problem with the top margins in either epubs or kepubs.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote