Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 02-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
loreno
loreno began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Books from RAR Archives?

Hello,
i want to import Books from inside an RAR Archive. I dont want to unpack the archive before. This should be done at the time of Import.
Are there an Plugin for that? I cant found such one.

Thanks
loreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by loreno View Post
Hello,
i want to import Books from inside an RAR Archive. I dont want to unpack the archive before. This should be done at the time of Import.

Thanks
You can add any SINGLE format book even if it is within a RAR. Calibre will do the unpack if needed (HTML books are left inside a RAR).

Calibre will NOT deal at all well with Books in Nested Zips/RAR (it will store the RAR, but not do anything else with it)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
loreno
loreno began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Thanks

Thanks,

but I have some books inside of the rar files. So I cant do that.
loreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Talking Experiment

I just made a Test RAR with 4 formats (TXT, EPUB, PDF, Lit)

I the used the Drag and Drop (my normal way) method to add to my Test Library

A new record was created: Opening the Metadata Editor, I see a single RAR of the size I imported.

When I double clicked to View, I see the TXT format

I guess the logic to split an Non-Nested Archive into multiple Single File Book formats is rather complicated.

Would a 'Multiple Formats Detected [Abort-Proceed-Show List]' Archive Import warning be possible for Archives the contain Multiple Standalone book file formats (eg PDF, Lit, Mobi...) ?

On a similar thought: 'Nested Archives Detected' warning (not to break storing some of other uses of an archive within Calibre)
Old 02-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
What's preventing you from extracting them before importing them into calibre?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
What's preventing you from extracting them before importing them into calibre?
Nothing! (OK, Laziness )

Keeping multiple Backup formats within a single archive is just a convenience...UNTIL I forget to extract them Part of the reason for the warning request as not all archives contain multiple formats.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you only want a few books from a very big archive then I suggest you drag the books you want out of the archive into a folder and then add the books to your Calibre library from that folder. Any archive utility worth its salt will allow you to drag items out of an archive into the file system.

If you have folder that Calibre monitors for new books then you could drag them out of the archive into that folder and then Calibre will automagically add them to your library and remove them from the monitored folder.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
If you only want a few books from a very big archive then I suggest you drag the books you want out of the archive into a folder and then add the books to your Calibre library from that folder. Any archive utility worth its salt will allow you to drag items out of an archive into the file system.

If you have folder that Calibre monitors for new books then you could drag them out of the archive into that folder and then Calibre will automagically add them to your library and remove them from the monitored folder.

BR
You misunderstand.
This is a Single Title Archive Containing just what you would see if you chose a Title in Calibre and Tapped 'o'

When I download my order from Baen, I grab the EPUB and the Mobi (I assume my publisher optimizes each, rather than release a simple, strait 'conversion' ). I archive my 'Originals' as I tend to Tweak my EPUB to my taste (I keep the Mobi, just because there is a Kindle in the house)
Old 02-17-2013, 03:10 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You misunderstand.
This is a Single Title Archive Containing just what you would see if you chose a Title in Calibre and Tapped 'o'

When I download my order from Baen, I grab the EPUB and the Mobi (I assume my publisher optimizes each, rather than release a simple, strait 'conversion' ). I archive my 'Originals' as I tend to Tweak my EPUB to my taste (I keep the Mobi, just because there is a Kindle in the house)
I think he wants to import multiple books from his RAR - as in importing multiple books from a folder

Quote:
Originally Posted by loreno View Post
Hello,

I often download large document archives (up to 2GB with thousands of items). Usually I only want a handful of files, which are rarely more than 200K in total. So I do as suggested, its much faster and avoids waking up malware scanners, content indexers etc etc.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote