Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
Edy
Enthusiast
Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, new iPad,
Thumbs down ENG - GER dictionary

Could you please recommend me a good ENG - GER dictionary for the Kindle2?

Could be another format, which I would need to convert first and make DRM free. I just want to be sure, it works fine as the default dictionary.

Thanks
Edy
Edy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I believe I've seen that Duden has released one, ore maybe about to. Since I'm not in the market for one, I didn't really think about it too much.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
Duden did release one (Pocket Oxford Duden), I bought it just after my Kindle 2 arrived last year.
Unfortunately, it's not for sale in Europe any more, I guess I was lucky

Greets from Munich!
Pascal

BTW, there's a similar thread in the German Forum: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88670

Last edited by bear4hunter; 07-09-2010 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Update - Link to another maybe relevant thread
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Not selling a German-English dictionary in Europe (read: Deutschland, Österreich and Helvetica) doesn't really make any sense does it?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Well, maybe amazon doesn't have the international rights any more?
Or an updated version is on it's way, I checked the product page on amazon, could change the region to any I picked, nowhere available.
After all, it was published in 2002 - just don't remember if the german spelling reform was before or after that

Grüße aus München,
Pascal
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
Bikemike
Connoisseur
Bikemike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Bikemike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Bikemike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Bikemike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Bikemike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi, what happens if....

a german spoken kindle user wish to have the oxford duden english german kindle edtion. But, he can not buy it.
Some friendly guy in the states say okay, i will buy it for you. The german user gives with paypal 10 Bucks or so to the guy in the states. This guy will buy the dictionary and will it than send per mail to the german kindle owner.
I think this would be legal, or?

Mike
Bikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #7
bear4hunter
Addict

Well, at least if there's no DRM or the US friend stripped it...
Since I own a legal copy (bought last year) why not try it out ?
Old 07-09-2010, 06:20 PM   #8
Bikemike
Connoisseur
Bikemike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Bikemike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Bikemike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Bikemike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Bikemike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
No, i think it can not work. If the guy in the states will buy it, the Dictionary was registered for his kindle. I cannot use it on my kindle.
Okay, was only an idea, lets reading german books again ;-)

Mike
Bikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #9
katzenstreik
Winged Ape
katzenstreik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.katzenstreik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.katzenstreik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2i
Hey Edy,

as far as I heard this one does work fine with a kindle and is supposed to be really good. Of course you have to strip it of DRM first as you mentioned.

@PhillipA82
Pocket Oxford is not available in Germany.
katzenstreik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:01 PM   #10
bear4hunter
Addict

it was last year, and I'm lucky enough to have bought it then.

Sad thing though that amazon does not offer basic translational dictionaries for all countries they sell the kindle.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:44 AM   #11
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Or take this one http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/...p?BookID=86466

It costs 50% of the ENG-GER / GER-ENG one mentioned above by katzenstreik.

Then you'll have to strip the DRM off it (what will take you a long time, have enough patience, 50 Minutes or more is nothing.)

After it will be DRM free copy it to your kindle change your dictionary in the settings - done! Enjoy!
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote