Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-02-2007, 10:25 AM   #31
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
I plugged it in the notebook of my GF. PC with Windows XP.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:56 AM   #32
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
Tnks for the information.

Cant promess anything but wondering if just the USB driver would wake the port enough to allow it to feed current to the reader.

Even tried a hub without hooking it to a computer. No dice.
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2007, 03:03 PM   #33
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Joy! I found a small gamestore and it had a third party PSP charger for like $15,-. It's charging right now so I finally can read the last 30 pages of "Chasing the dead" .
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:59 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Excellent news .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:21 AM   #35
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
Glad you found a unit!
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2007, 05:54 AM   #36
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Good price too!
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:32 PM   #37
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Well, I just managed to drain my batter this afternoon, it would be at half and then down 3/4's and then I was playing with the little toggle button and well it killed it, said I needed to charge that I was low.......... so lets see, I have had to small charges in between and have read 4 books with them being on the large side of fonts if at all possible and approximately 3350 pages total of what I have read and am reading at this time..... sure isn't no 7000, is that what they claimed? I think font size has a lot to do with it..... either way, I have it charging in the wall unit and wish it would hurry up.......
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:52 PM   #38
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
They claimed (and still do) 7500 pages, but that was probably machine tested along the lines of:

1) click
2) wait five second
3) repeat 'til the battery's flat
4) report number of clicks.

And who can tell what sort of effect the actual testing approach itself might have had on the battery drain?

For instance, we know that it does use some small amount of power between page changes for monitoring the buttons. I'm guessing the pause between pages which an actual person requires to actually read the page may make up a lot of the difference. If they waited my above assumed 5 seconds between flips in their testing, but it takes me 30 seconds to read the page then right there I've increased the 'waiting' power consumption by a factor of 6 per page.

Then there're the times I set the Reader aside 'just for a minute' while I'm doing something else 'real quick' and come back to it half an hour later.

I don't know how we'd even figure that into the equation without knowing the exact power consumption during the 'wait' state (and good luck getting that info).
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:22 PM   #39
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
I don't think I will be worrying about it too much. At least it came with a rechargeable batter and cables to do so. So when I think it's about time to charge it up, will do so a day before and so I am not stuck here waiting for it to charge as I am now. This is usually the time I am reading so now instead I am waiting........@@

How can I complain, at least I can read books on it and transfer stuff I have on this computer to it........ still love it regardless.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:30 AM   #40
stxopher
Nameless Being

I'd guess it was more like:

1) click
2a) wait five second
2b) repeat for 500 clicks (guesstimate of average daily use)
2c) turn off unit for 24 hours
3) repeat step 2 'til the battery's flat
4) report number of clicks.

That gives the battery a little more time to bounce back between sessions and can be legitimately claimed as "practical usage".