Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-21-2006, 02:18 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
SciFi/Fantasy Book recommendations

Here is a site that with links to recommended book lists and custom recommendation systems...
http://www.sfwa.org/reading/

Diomark also mentioned this in another thread, but I haven't tried it...
http://www.metacritic.com/books/
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:24 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Thanks for the links, Bob. I am currently reading the first book of Robin Hobb's latest series, The Soldier's Son. Highly recommended if you like fantasy novels with strong character development.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2006, 03:31 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
For newer books in the SciFi/Fantasy genre, have a look at this list of the "Best Books of The Millenium (Thus Far)":

http://speculativereviews.blogspot.c...-thus-far.html
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:33 PM   #4
deathpack
deathpack began at the beginning.

Device: ipod
If you want some really good fantasy book recommendations, check out www.bestfantasybooks.com; it's got a really huge recommendation list for the best fantasy books. What's particularly useful is that the author explain what he/she likes about the book.

I've been using the site the past few months to find new fantasy series and the author's been bang on as far as his/her recommendations go.
deathpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:57 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathpack View Post
If you want some really good fantasy book recommendations, check out www.bestfantasybooks.com it's got a really huge recommendation list for the best fantasy books. What's particularly useful is that the author explain what he/she likes about the book.

I've been using the site the past few months to find new fantasy series and the author's been bang on as far as his/her recommendations go.
The site is an advertising avenue for Amazon.com. Every book has a link and the sidebar adverts for Amazon are rather annoying (IMHO).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2008, 10:16 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The site is an advertising avenue for Amazon.com. Every book has a link and the sidebar adverts for Amazon are rather annoying (IMHO).
Your probably skewing the facts a bit. They are most likely an Amazon affiliate and they get a little commission if you buy a book from the books link on the site. I'd be surprised if they make enough to run the site.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:45 AM   #7
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
this is the list i use to find out about authors of some of the classics

http://home.austarnet.com.au/petersy...oks_rank1.html

I hated Electric sheep by philip k d1ck. and i guess im nto really into cyberpunk cause neuromancer by gibson. it was a bore. but the other things ive read ive liked.

anyone know a good place to find out about new Scifi? the only author im reading that is still writing is Orson Scott card, and Joe Haldeman. i would like to add to that list.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 05:09 AM   #8
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
anyone know a good place to find out about new Scifi? the only author im reading that is still writing is Orson Scott card, and Joe Haldeman. i would like to add to that list.
I like http://www.sfsite.com/
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:05 AM   #9
MdB
Advocate/Initiate
MdB doesn't litterMdB doesn't litter

Device: Undecided
Thank you all guys, for these great resources.
MdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:15 PM   #10
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Thanks Sparrow. Exactly what im looking for
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:12 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
If you want to find some great authors who are most definitely still actively writing, you can do no better than to head over to Baen and check of some of the books in their free library.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:41 AM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you want to find some great authors who are most definitely still actively writing, you can do no better than to head over to Baen and check of some of the books in their free library.
Actually I think that is bad advice. If you like a certain kind of sf you will find it on Baen. But if you like challenging sf or like to read about interesting ideas this is the wrong place to look.

Here are some links:

http://www.strangehorizons.com/reviews/

http://www.sfsite.com/

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/books/column/sfw19233.html

http://www.johnclute.co.uk/
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:08 AM   #13
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Actually I think that is bad advice. If you like a certain kind of sf you will find it on Baen. But if you like challenging sf or like to read about interesting ideas this is the wrong place to look.

Here are some links:

http://www.strangehorizons.com/reviews/

http://www.sfsite.com/

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/books/column/sfw19233.html

http://www.johnclute.co.uk/
I think that is a little hard on Baen. That being said, they don't tend to do Hard Science Fiction. Still some of the books and stories that their authors have written do contain challenging ideas.. just not scientifically challenging ideas.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:33 AM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I think that is a little hard on Baen. That being said, they don't tend to do Hard Science Fiction. Still some of the books and stories that their authors have written do contain challenging ideas.. just not scientifically challenging ideas.
They do not seem to have the authors I find most interesting like Charles Stross, Ian M. Banks, Ian McDonald, James Morrow, Cory Doctorow, Adam Roberts, and so on. The Baen authors I read are more straightforward action stories. I like to read a lot of the Baen books but I do not think they accurately reflect the state of science fiction today. On the other hand looking now at their catalog I find authors like Vernor Vinge so maybe things have changed since I last looked at this.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #15
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
They do not seem to have the authors I find most interesting like Charles Stross, Ian M. Banks, Ian McDonald, James Morrow, Cory Doctorow, Adam Roberts, and so on. The Baen authors I read are more straightforward action stories. I like to read a lot of the Baen books but I do not think they accurately reflect the state of science fiction today. On the other hand looking now at their catalog I find authors like Vernor Vinge so maybe things have changed since I last looked at this.
Ah, but it is important to keep in mind that your viewpoint is your viewpoint. What you find interesting, others might find pretentious or boring. As for reflecting the state of SF today, considering they are one of the more successful publishers at the moment, I would suggest they do represent at least part of the state of SF today.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote