Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-23-2010, 07:01 PM   #46
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Battery life is the biggest tech limitation we have right now IMO. And I don't think that will get better, it will be widespread wireless electricity etc. that ends up moving portable technology forward, rather than some breakthrough in battery tech IMO.
Battery life is improving quickly. The problem isn't increases in battery life, it's that every time we get the slightest improvement in power or duration, all the machines shift focus to *use* that power to get the same amount of battery life.

It'd be incredible to put modern batteries in an eBookwise.

Wireless electricity is probably the next major breakthrough--but the utility companies have a vested interest in preventing that. (They didn't like it when Tesla came up with it a hundred years ago; they won't like it any better now.) And the first dozen devices that use wireless electricity will be awful, buggy novelties whose main purpose is just to prove they can do it.

Solar rechargers are probably what's next for most devices--making the the tech that works for calculators cheap enough & powerful enough to power a whole netbook in the sunlight, or allow leaving it out in the sun for a couple of hours to recharge the batteries. That wouldn't require any major breakthroughs; just cheaper components & more efficient energy transfers, and those are always being improved.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:40 PM   #47
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I can't say I'd have all that much interest in solar charges since I never use gadgets outside (nor do spend much time outdoors period), and keep my blinds shut (don't get much direct sun in my windows anyway).
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 11:10 PM   #48
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
My calculators work fine in an artificially lit room. Could there be an e-book reader with a ultra low power screen (E-ink, Liquavista, Mirasol) screen on one side, and a solar charger on the other side of the device, that closes like a book?

But then it would be too durable....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:31 AM   #49
Randolphlalonde
Author
Randolphlalonde has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Randolphlalonde has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Randolphlalonde has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone
You know, if they actually did manage to get this kind of spyware running, I'd be in some serious trouble.

Not the kind of trouble you think, however.

I have a whole database of eBooks that I never purchased. I own the copyright because I wrote them, but the exact same files have popped up on download sites that are widely used for piracy because someone purchased then shared the books.

Just imagine if some anti-piracy organization added those files to their list because they were spotted on piracy sites. Do any of us actually think that they'd be smart enough to add some kind of differentiation mechanism into their software so my copies weren't wiped out? I didn't buy them, after all.

These people are generally backwards thinking politicians, and the software they develop will only be as smart as the ideas they concoct and the programmers they hire. Those programmers will probably not exceed the mandate of their job either, so we can expect the software to be just as clever* as the politicians and industry suits who commission it.

The incompetence is more frightening than the arm of the law here, I'm thinking...

* I use the term "clever" with deep sarcasm
Randolphlalonde is offline   Reply With Quote