Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-25-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Palm T/X to Nook

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member here, but have been reading e-books for years on my Palm PDA's. I've done a little research and have settled on the Nook as an e-reader device, but do have some questions before I actually pull the trigger.

I've purchased a few books through the Palm store in a .pdb format. Does anyone know if I will be able to read them on the Nook?

Also, has anyone tried textbooks on the Nook? Currently I use Coursesmart.com and my laptop, but if I could get versions for the nook, I think that might be better.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Rich
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
Schmots
Connoisseur
Schmots began at the beginning.

Device: nook, prs-505, iphone
I know the books that Barnes and Noble sells come in drm-laiden pdb format.

I don't like pdb I like epub, so I just use calibre to convert them. If your gonna get an ebook reader.. you want to get calibre.. and its free.
Schmots is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
primetime34
Zealot
primetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3, Nook 3G
I have some pdb files that I changed just fine to epub. You might get Calibre and do some conversion first and make sure it works.
primetime34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:11 AM   #4
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I read eReader drmed-pdb ebooks on Palm. Those books can be read on Nook without problem.

I don't think any 6" device will handle such text books very well because of complex page layout and graphic intensive.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:39 AM   #5
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the help. I'll download Calibre and give it a look. It sounds like a useful tool. I'm a month away from a Nook!
Advert
Old 03-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
Rich_D
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
I read eReader drmed-pdb ebooks on Palm. Those books can be read on Nook without problem.

I don't think any 6" device will handle such text books very well because of complex page layout and graphic intensive.
Funny, I never gave a thought to the different screen sizes. I kept thinking that it would be similar to a word document that will wrap to fit the size of the window...
Old 03-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Whether or not it will wrap to fit the size of the window depends on the ebook format. With textbooks, they may be PDF and that typically does not wrap. Also if the ebook has pictures/charts/graphs, these are not good on a 6" screen.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #8
pamcas
pamcas began at the beginning.

Device: nook
RE: Palm T/X to Nook

I am also a Palm Tungsten owner. I've chosen to buy a Nook because it supports the pdb format and I'll be able to read the ebooks I already own on it. In fact, I'm now buying BN ebooks (because they've apparently limited what ereader.com can sell now that they own it) and reading them on my Palm and on my computer. Now I can wait to pay cash for my Nook.
pamcas is offline   Reply With Quote