Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-27-2006, 04:40 PM   #1
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

large pdf files with many figures

has anyone tried LARGE pdf files, e.g some of the user manuals

12 MB DVD Studio Pro User Manual
42 MB Final Cut Pro User Manual

what are your experiences in large files with alot of figures?
thanks.
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:57 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Um, I didn't, but I think Bob mentioned he had a complicated PDF with him that day.

You may have to wait 'til they start arriving at people's homes. And 'til the euphoria wears off.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2006, 05:00 PM   #3
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

haha, indeed. i am about to go to the sony corporate store on east 55th street to see if they have them on display.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:29 PM   #4
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Large files are a weakness on the Librie. I hope they fixed this on the Reader, along with a whole shopping list of other BBeB issues...

For example, I noticed on the book store last night that many titles were noticeably bloated compared to other ebook formats.

BBeB you usually get sentence/format unit level compression.
PDF you usually get page compression.
LIT you get whole book compression.

Don't worry, I have many 150MB to 300MB PDF files I'll run on the Reader the day I get it. Euphoria won't keep me from reporting back.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 05:27 PM   #5
Paul Moews
Enthusiast
Paul Moews began at the beginning.

pictures of large manual pages

I was asked to contribute to this thread by taking pictures of
two fairly large manuals - a DVD Studio Pro User Manual (12 M) -
and the Final Cut Pro User Manual (42 M). This are rather elegant
manuals - page size is 7.5 x 9 inches but I suppose meant
mostly to be viewed at a terminal. They zoom all the way
to 400% while maintaining their crisp look.

They loaded OK from a SD card to the Sony reader, and page turning
was reasonable once opened. The larger could take up to 45 seconds
or so to load and maybe 30 seconds or so to exit - I suppose the closing
time was caused by the updates to cache.xml. On the Sony reader the
pages looked "washed out", i.e. type seemed less than black, but of course
the type size was very small. In landscape view they could at least be read
but they were still washed out. They might load quicker once the cache
is updated. Not quite good enough to be useful but almost. Note that
they are apparently ver 1.5 PDF's not necessarily supported by Sony.

I did two pages - 443 of the DVD Manual and 1040 of the Final Cut
Manual (Page III-253 - absolute page 1040). For comparison I also loaded
page 1040 to the Iliad. The Iliad does not yet have a landscape mode.
However the display is larger and it handles big PDB's without difficulty.
The page is also washed out on the Iliad but not as badly. It's
readable but small - tantalizing close to being really useful.
The Sony reader pictures show both portrait and landscape views - the
two landscape views are combined.

The pictures are fairly high resolution jpegs - 200 - 300 K taken outdoors
in full sun - Not too big I hope. By the way none of the pages I looked at
caused trouble - all viewed OK. Note the highlighted line on page 443.
This is an active link on the Sony - links are not implemented on the Iliad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	443_land.jpg
Views:	1021
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	1650   Click image for larger version

Name:	443_port.jpg
Views:	844
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	1651   Click image for larger version

Name:	1040_land.jpg
Views:	874
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	1652   Click image for larger version

Name:	1040_port.jpg
Views:	801
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	1653   Click image for larger version

Name:	1040_irex.jpg
Views:	934
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	1654  
Paul Moews is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2006, 07:23 PM   #6
jakeluck
Groupie

Paul,

Thank you so much for the photos! That gives us a much better idea of Sony's usability with real world full manuals. The Illiad indeed looks more promising because of its increased resolution.

jake
Old 10-01-2006, 10:12 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The resolution is the same (~160 dpi), it's the size that makes the difference. And it does make a difference for that.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:14 AM   #8
segatang
Connoisseur
segatang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kolin i-library
It seems the Sony Reader uses a lighter font to display the smaller fonts, but the iLiad uses a bold one as Librie does. Right?

Or just the resolution difference between Sony Reader and iLiad caused that?
segatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:37 AM   #9
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
It's the size difference, I tried to display a pdf like that and the smaller the text is the lighter it looks. Your best bet is to rotate the pdf.
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote