Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-07-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
ePub slowdown then lockup

I have a strange problem with one ePub book. It was originally html and I converted it to ePub using Calibre. It's about 160 pages - 12 chapters.

As I was reading it and got to about chapter 11, I noticed it was taking longer and longer to change pages, particularly at chapter boundaries. Then it eventually lockup up. I couldn't change page, and couldn't exit the book, not even bring up the menu.

So I reset the PP and opened the book again. It opened, but at Chapter 6, so I used the catalog/chapter menu to go to the last chapter. The first page of the chapter opened, then it froze again.

I reset it, then went and read a different book. It was fine on this other book. I have read about 10 other books since buying my PP, and the battery is full (before anyone suggests that ) so I think hardware problems are unlikely.

Anyone else experienced anything like this? I have the latest firmware from late last year. This is the worst possible way to fail, as it prevented me finishing a book that I had been avidly consuming. I guess I will have to try to finish it using Calibre on my computer.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I did not get to lockup stage before I rolled back to the Nov FW.
Have you check the filesystem the file is stored on? It may be damaged :/

You might try a fresh conversion with the latest Calibre (.44). Things get improved every week.

What does another EPUB (on the PC) Viewer do with that file?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Might be a problem with the epub. I had created a few epubs where they would open in the Calibre viewer without issue, but load on to the PP and the last page I could go to was 2/3 into the book. Converted the files (at the time) to both .mobi and .fb2 and the files opened without issue.

For me I think the problem was during the conversion either some non-standard characters or non-standard formatting tags were used during creation of the epub. I revisited the problem at a later date and found if I did the conversion through eCub it worked flawlessly, so my experience was that Calibre was doing something funny.

You could always test by converting your html to epub using eCub (http://www.juliansmart.com/ecub) and see if that fixes your problem.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:26 AM   #4
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Might be a problem with the epub. I had created a few epubs where they would open in the Calibre viewer without issue, but load on to the PP and the last page I could go to was 2/3 into the book. Converted the files (at the time) to both .mobi and .fb2 and the files opened without issue.
Yes, 2/3rds was about where it started to slow down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
For me I think the problem was during the conversion either some non-standard characters or non-standard formatting tags were used during creation of the epub. I revisited the problem at a later date and found if I did the conversion through eCub it worked flawlessly, so my experience was that Calibre was doing something funny.

You could always test by converting your html to epub using eCub (http://www.juliansmart.com/ecub) and see if that fixes your problem.
Thanks for the link to eCub. Worth a try. As for non-standard formatting, yes this html had some. There were inline graphics and also a small quote at the start of each chapter that was formatted quite differently from the main text.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:28 AM   #5
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I did not get to lockup stage before I rolled back to the Nov FW.
Have you check the filesystem the file is stored on? It may be damaged :/

You might try a fresh conversion with the latest Calibre (.44). Things get improved every week.

What does another EPUB (on the PC) Viewer do with that file?

I will try finishing my reading using Calibre's viewer and see what happens.

Yes, there's new versions of Calibre and even new firmware for the PP coming out - so many chances it may get fixed, you are correct.
Advert