Notices

Old 11-16-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
ChaseKR
Connoisseur
ChaseKR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch, iPad 1 3G
Talking Big, Nasty Crack on my Kindle DX

Hi Everyone,

So today, I noticed a big crack on my Kindle DX after I dropped it on a hardwood floor while it was in its M-Edge case. I've already sent an email to Amazon's customer support. Out of curiosity, what cosmetic damages do you have on your Kindle?

It's cosmetic damage right now since the device is fully functional, but I'm afraid that could change if the crack isn't repaired.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 3.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	39357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 5.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	39358  

Last edited by ChaseKR; 11-16-2009 at 11:33 PM.
ChaseKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:40 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseKR View Post
Hi Everyone,

So today, I noticed a big crack on my Kindle DX after I dropped it on a hardwood floor while it was in its M-Edge case. I've already sent an email to Amazon's customer support. Out of curiosity, what cosmetic damages do you have on your Kindle?
I'd be interested in Amazon's response.

My Kindle has no cosmetic damages. I've been careful, and extremely lucky.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2009, 10:43 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I'd be interested in Amazon's response.
"You break it, you buy it."

Of course, the OP already bought it... (as did the Kindle)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:46 PM   #4
ChaseKR
Connoisseur

If you look at Amazon's drop test video (see http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/m29AN24ZT4S6UX), their Kindle is really durable. There's no reason why it would be less protected while fully strapped inside of a good case. I bought my Kindle partly because of its supposed durability.

It seems like misleading advertising, really.

I pledge no loyalty to Amazon and I'm willing to buy from a competitor if necessary... I'm sure Plastic Logic would love a Kindle convert.

Last edited by ChaseKR; 11-16-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
"You break it, you buy it."

Of course, the OP already bought it... (as did the Kindle)

BOb
Bob's reply is about what I'd expect.

The Kindle isn't breakproof. A lot depends on what it was dropped on, from what height, and exactly where it hits.

If I ever did drop and break mine.........I'd be blaming myself. Ebook readers are notoriously fragile.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2009, 11:14 PM   #6
ChaseKR
Connoisseur

Customer service just called me--they're going to send me a replacement!

I must say, Amazon has a fantastic CS dept. Thank you, Mike M.!

Last edited by ChaseKR; 11-16-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:14 AM   #7
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:

Wow, I think you are very very lucky!
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:44 AM   #8
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Superglue it before the crack spreads. Not kidding.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:14 AM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
If you look at Amazon's drop test video (see http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/m29AN24ZT4S6UX), their Kindle is really durable. There's no reason why it would be less protected while fully strapped inside of a good case. I bought my Kindle partly because of its supposed durability.

It seems like misleading advertising, really.

I pledge no loyalty to Amazon and I'm willing to buy from a competitor if necessary... I'm sure Plastic Logic would love a Kindle convert.
phbbbbbttttttt~~~~~~~~~~~~~ neener neener neener

Quote:

kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:20 AM   #10
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
It's cosmetic damage right now since the device is fully functional, but I'm afraid that could change if the crack isn't repaired.
A crack on the case is worlds better than a cracked screen. It's great to see Amazon CS come through for you though.

My kids distracted me once, and my K2 slid from my lap onto the concrete of my front porch. It dented the metal casing on one corner but caused no other damage (which was a lucky thing for those damnable, life-sucking kids of mine).
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:36 PM   #11
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_hand View Post
Superglue it before the crack spreads. Not kidding.
Yes that would stop it in it's tracks!!

I've been lucky and haven't dropped any of my Kindles *touch wood*. The last catastrophe was water getting into a 32gb iPod touch and killing it in seconds. Dead in the water, so to speak.

The integrity of the shell surrounding the screen is essential to stop lateral movement of the screen (which can be catastrophic). I would 'carefully' apply a small amount of that superglue into the crack. It will harden like a rock. After that I would grab a flinstones bandaid to cover the wound.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:40 PM   #12
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I have dropped my kindle in its Oberon cover many times. It has bounced several times. Luckily, no issues. Of course, then I went ahead a lost it! No customer service for that one!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:15 PM   #13
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
you are luckyl...if i were amazon, i definitely would not have replaced it.

it's like...u buy a car....accidentally crash it...and then get a new one from Ford?

the math might work in the case of a kindle since your loyalty to amazon might be worth it.

i think this action by amazon induces a bit of moral hazard if u ask me.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote