Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
jstorrrep
jstorrrep began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Block Certain Websites or Entire Web

Does anyone think it would be possible to modify the netfront configuration file or perhaps use another method to block certain websites on the browser? Or perhaps there is a way to block the web altogether while still allowing ota downloads and the kindle store? This would be for parental control, so I can let my kids use the kindle for reading while keeping them from certain websites or the web entirely.

This could also be used for self-control, to minimize distractions and keep us focused on .

I'm not as concerned for the kindle store use, and I'd like to keep it working--they know what consequences there would be for a charge showing up on my bill.

jstorrrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Hello jstorrep - welcome to MobileRead.

I don't have a Kindle, so can't contribute to the discussion, I just wanted to say hi.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
waingateman
waingateman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
Don't know what the method is but must be a way as the IK2 only allows the Kindle STore and Wikipedia - I'll take alook
waingateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I don't know what you could do but if you or your kids have used the browser, you it's on the slow side. Your kids would probably give up in frustration. Plus it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that will allow them to view videos on youtube or download music or pretty much anything but visit mobile friendly sites and check email.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote