Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-17-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
DanielCoffey
Connoisseur
DanielCoffey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Q : .epub or .lrf for a new library?

I am a newcomer to the ebook scene and my PRS505 is my first reader. Since I am starting from scratch with books from the Baen Free Library, I was wondering...

Do I want to choose .epub or .lrf for these non-DRM books and why?

Will there be formatting differences on the 505 between these books given they are from a single source? Page flow or performance issues?

I certainly intend to keep the Sony a good while, but if it explodes in a year or so out of warranty and I end up with a different reader, I cannot guarantee it will be a Sony. I would like to get my library format sorted now while it is still small.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
DanielCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
This has been discussed at some length in this thread. I'd say that when reading on a 505 there are advantages and disadvantages to both and a lot of it is down to personal preference, but you'll see them both discussed in the thread I've linked.

There's also the issue of transferable formats, which seems to be a reason for choosing epub, but with software like calibre many books can be converted to other formats.

As you're based in the UK, you'll find that UK based shops generally offer epub for sony readers rather than lrf.
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
DanielCoffey
Connoisseur
DanielCoffey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks for the reference - a great read.
DanielCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
In case you decide later on to use a device other than Sony then ePub is the format of choice.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:38 PM   #5
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
As Ruth says, here in the UK, epub books are far more common than lrf and there will be more devices coming out in the future that use will epub. I use calibre as to convert books to different formats.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert