Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
saiyuki
Enthusiast
saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: binatone ReadMe, Kobo Touch, Scroll Extreme 2
Logic? What Logic

Hi all. In promoting my 'need' for another e-reader to my wife (looking at a Pocketbook Pro 912), i knew i had it sealed. It was perfect, no chance of tangental counter arguements, just plain and simple

I read books, that's what i like to do. I can add my own imaginative interpretations to the written characters and surroundings. I can escape to whatever time and or planet the book takes me to. I can experiance untold levels of immersion.

My wife watches soaps. This i know is the daily staple of many, and i would not wish it otherwise. If the person who watches soaps enjoys them then where's the harm. By stark contrast I generally don't watch TV because of the mind-numbing plot similarity between them. Can someone explain why everyone is so miserable in these programs. It makes me miserable thinking about it even now

Anyway. As i said, i had the perfect solid reason for my need of a new reader. My reason was i argued, it's no problem having an expensive flat screen TV which only my wife uses, but purchasing an expensive reader is a problem.

The outcome i must now admit, was expected. There was a total failure to prove the point. I somehow got lost in the logic that was used against me. Perhaps i need to start reading stories involving complex court cases because really, i thought i had nailed it

Back to the drawing board i guess

Regards

Last edited by saiyuki; 10-24-2013 at 07:37 PM. Reason: I called the Pocketbook a Powerbook :(
saiyuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
I always seem to get my latest toy when I threaten to start watching TV (which my husband considers to be HIS TV). It drives him nuts when I take HIS remote and start flipping through the channels in search of something, anything I can stand to watch. Worth a try.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Isn't it funny that when it is something you want it is a toy. When it is something they want it is a necessity.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Pick something much more expensive, lobby for that endlessly, and after the eventual failure, accept what you really want as the compromise.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I usually try to upgrade to something that looks similar to the original item --- that way my wife never notices I have a new toy. Most are black squares, anyway. Or you can try the birthday/Christmas routine, how can she refuse?

On another note, however, are you sure about that Pro 912? Seems very few users are happy with it.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2013, 10:55 PM   #6
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I find these little glimpses into married life quite fascinating.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:00 AM   #7
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
My next door neighbor went through his middle age crisis by buying several European motorcycles -- along with the fairings, leathers, etc., etc.

I bring this up whenever my wife mentions my hobbies -- cruising thrift stores and tinkering with computers. I'm a cheap date!
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:00 AM   #8
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
You need to ask your wife permission to buy a ereader ???
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:40 AM   #9
saiyuki
Enthusiast
saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: binatone ReadMe, Kobo Touch, Scroll Extreme 2
Hi all. The background (to clarify my predicament), is that as a full time carer for my disabled wife, it's natural that she has priority over what others would deem a trivial matter. Limited funds aside, it's what carers do We often find ourselves looking for ways to alleviate the guilt we feel when (yes), we do ask for something. I think you'll find most long term carers feel exactly the same way (see, i'm even doing it here ).

My choice of the Pocketbook is that i find my large screen 10" tablet much better for reading with. I have many books which include PDF's of old text, and whilst the tablet works ok for this, it would be great to be able to add notes for text correction. Also unlike my tablet, i would not have to charge it every night

When it comes down to it there are not many choices available for large format interactive readers. Tablets are good, but are not naturally made for text input. I rest my hand on the surface when writing so it's precise and legible, try as i might, this is impossible with a tablet as it contains no palm recognition. Why use something not designed for your purposes when you can use something that is

On choice of a large screen interactive reader i find both good and bad reviews. i know there will never be a 'perfect' reader as faults are invariably be found in all according to the users preferences.

Time for a cup of tea

Regards
saiyuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:55 AM   #10
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
If you need logic, use the reduce it the ridiculous argument. Figure out how many hours of use you expect to get from it, calculate the cost savings from not having to charge it so often, etc. Then you can say, "I've done the math and by my calculations, it will cost me about $0.01/hour of use to buy this new reader." But if your math comes up with a number closer to $10/hour, you're going to have a harder sell.

How much you have spent on other things is irrelevant. For each purchase, you have to justify the cost based on its own merits.

If you find that such arguments are trying and tiresome, instead suggest an "allowance" in the budget where you each get a certain amount each month to spend on whatever you want. In our household, the only criteria for that money is that it must be legal, moral and ethical. Then keep track and save up your allowance money and spend it wherever you think you'll get the most benefit.
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salgueiros View Post
You need to ask your wife permission to buy a ereader ???
Different married couples operate under different rules but it is very common for discretionary spending to be a joint decision. Or strictly the purview of the "home economist/manager".
I had a friend that held off upgrading the family PC for a full year because he knew it would come with a mandatory accessory piano.

Logic won't serve in these cases.
The technique I've noticed works best is to identify a pricier purchase she would enjoy and tie the two: "One for you and one for me."
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #12
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
"Oops. Well, just look at that, honey. I accidentally swung a ball peen hammer onto the screen and now it doesn't work. Guess I have to buy a new one..."
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #13
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Seems to me if you are the full-time carer for your disabled wife, she would want you to have something that would brighten your life, without having to justify it with logical arguments as long as the purchase isn't going to cause economic deprivation in another area. Isn't that what married people do - want the best for each other and to make each other happy?
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:28 PM   #14
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Pick something much more expensive, lobby for that endlessly, and after the eventual failure, accept what you really want as the compromise.
I think you all need to man up!! Take a stand as the man in the relationship. I do and have a wonderful life. In my marriage what I say goes, what I want I get.....provided the wife has pre-approved, given permission and in some cases I have purchased her something of equal or greater value......hmmm maybe I am under the thumb, not sure I will check with her

Seriously relationships are funny things and I don't think people ever really understand them indepth, but I do know when wanting something you need to be clear that it is something you want/need, and not just dropping the idea seeking confirmation that you have justified whatever it is you want, be a new ereader or TV. ie: I'm going to buy a new ereader because.... VS I'm thinking of buying a new ereader, your thoughts??
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #15
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
You don't need a new e-reader right now. You need to educate your wife on the matters of "hobby". Afterward, she'll throw e-readers at you by the dozens.

Wait until Sparklemotion sees this topic; she'll probably paste my recent rant regarding matters such as these in here (I'm too lazy to go find it at 4AM.)

Last edited by Katsunami; 10-25-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote