Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #16
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
Did you miss the next bit where it was suggested that the OP not believe everything that he or she reads, including the response that you are taking exception to. It was humorous - tongue in cheek.
I read the post three times, and I couldn't decide if it was supposed to be sarcasm or not. I imagine a newbie would have a harder time figuring it out.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #17
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
Did you miss the next bit where it was suggested that the OP not believe everything that he or she reads, including the response that you are taking exception to. It was humorous - tongue in cheek.
Sarcasm is hard to hear in text, but I didn't respond until it seemed as if the OP may have taken the info as gospel.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #18
ForsCream
Connoisseur
ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite
I read a news about a girl who has suffered this kind of terrible thing.
She bought hundreds of books in Amazon, and somehow, she violated Amazon's guideline carelessly.
Guess what, her books are deleted by Amazon with just one guideline violation notification letter, they even don't tell her which term of guideline she has violated.

For me, I'd like to strip the copy-protection and back them up in my portable drive.
I don't like manage my books with Calibre either.
ForsCream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #19
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsCream View Post
I read a news about a girl ...
There's a lot of this kind of urban mythologizing going on. My best friend's cousin's friend knows someone who knows....

(this isn't to say that it didn't happen, just that I mistrust this kind of lead in without a link.)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #20
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Someone was saying a few weeks ago that Amazon removed all the ebooks they had bought when they got banned from the site?
And did it actually happen?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #21
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
And did it actually happen?
I suspect they are referring to this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=194580

where Amazon closed the account (thereby removing the person's access to their ebooks online), but did not remove the ebooks from the person's [finally fessed up to be broken] Kindle.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #22
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I suspect so too.

And didnt Amazon say that even when they close an account, the person should still have access to their archives? (she didn't in this case, but that's what they said)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #23
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I suspect so too.

And didnt Amazon say that even when they close an account, the person should still have access to their archives? (she didn't in this case, but that's what they said)
Plus, once the weekend was over and the regular crew on duty, didn't they reopen the account anyway?
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:36 AM   #24
ForsCream
Connoisseur
ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
There's a lot of this kind of urban mythologizing going on. My best friend's cousin's friend knows someone who knows....

(this isn't to say that it didn't happen, just that I mistrust this kind of lead in without a link.)
http://www.bekkelund.net/2012/10/22/...by-amazon-drm/

Hey, the link you want.
ForsCream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:22 AM   #25
Valentino
Connoisseur
Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: some.
I haven't read the linked articles but I believe this person was living in finland and purchasing all their books by pretending living the U.K. to get deals or books that weren't licensed in finland. I read the original article a couple weeks ago and the person acted innocent while admitting they were breaking the law or something. Amazon cracked down on her. I think the new articles are fluff that ignore the important things.

Still Amazon shouldn't be able to do this, and we should remove drm and protect our purchases.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:22 AM   #26
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
And it turns out that the Kindle was broken
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:27 AM   #27
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Except that that isn't the only complaint posted on MR about the same issue. When I'm working, I'll do a search, but others can, too.

(Nocturnal lunch is now officially over.)
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #28
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
We know, ever few months, I am guessing six, someone posts about it. A few days into the hysteria the person admits that yes they have had other accounts closed, or that they have returned a large number of big ticket items, or that they have been buying a ton of geographic restricted books, or some other violation of Amazons terms of ssservice. Then a week later we find out that Amazon has re-opened the account or that the person never really lost access to the account but was not being allowed to buy new books.

So the pattern is every once in a while someone does something that gets them in trouble with Amazon, complains, says they are innocent, and it turns out they are not.

If this was a threat to people, there would be more then the occassional posting on it and people would stop using Amazon.

That said, I store my books on my computer and I removed the DRM to make sure I have access to them.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #29
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
I haven't read the linked articles but I believe this person was living in finland and purchasing all their books by pretending living the U.K. to get deals or books that weren't licensed in finland. I read the original article a couple weeks ago and the person acted innocent while admitting they were breaking the law or something. Amazon cracked down on her. I think the new articles are fluff that ignore the important things.

Still Amazon shouldn't be able to do this, and we should remove drm and protect our purchases.
The first round of articles were full of incorrect information. Nearly every important point was, in fact, wrong. You're complaining about something that didn't happen.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #30
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
We know, ever few months, I am guessing six, someone posts about it. A few days into the hysteria the person admits that yes they have had other accounts closed, or that they have returned a large number of big ticket items, or that they have been buying a ton of geographic restricted books, or some other violation of Amazons terms of service.
You seem far more confident than I that everyone who has complained so far has been lying. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm only saying you might not be 100% correct. 100% would only be possible if we could look into the souls of everyone who has complained and ascertain whether or not they were speaking the truth. And as I'm sure you know, we have no way of ferreting out their hidden motives and intentions unless they confess.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-09-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote