Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 08-17-2007, 08:29 AM   #1
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Unhappy Can not log in to Moblieread from Ubuntu Linux

I visit the mobileread site daily.
At work I use Windows XP and Mozilla engine based browser. I can log in without problems.

At home I use FreeBSD and various Linux distributions to browse the internet. About a month ago I started to have a problem with logging in. I type in name, password, click on "Save?" checkbox and clickk on "log in" button. After that I see a redirection screen saying something like " Thank You Kacir for logging in, you will be redirected ...." and then I am redirected, but I am NOT logged in.
If I delete all cookies originating from mobileread.com I CAN log in, but when I refresh the page or try to post a message I find myself logged off again.

I experience this problems on several independent systems from FreeBSD 6.0 Release (about couple of years old) with a quite old version of Firefox to the newest Ubuntu Linux with the newest and greatest incarnation of Firefox.

My cookies are switched on, and I have no problems with logging in to various other sites (like Groklaw).

Is there anybody out there succcesfully loging in from a non-windows machine?
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:14 AM   #2
Egghead
Mentat
Egghead has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Bookeen Gen3 Cybook
Works fine with Safari 3 Beta on the Mac.
Egghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I visit the mobileread site daily.
I experience this problems on several independent systems from FreeBSD 6.0 Release (about couple of years old) with a quite old version of Firefox to the newest Ubuntu Linux with the newest and greatest incarnation of Firefox.

Is there anybody out there succcesfully loging in from a non-windows machine?
For me, it works perfectly with Firefox/2.0.0.6 using an up-to-date Ubuntu-feisty system. And it always had

L.
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:47 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
If I delete all cookies originating from mobileread.com I CAN log in, but when I refresh the page or try to post a message I find myself logged off again.
That is strange indeed. The only possible reason I can think of is that we switched in our cookies from www.mobileread.com to mobileread.com like half a year ago or so (to allow for the same login throughout various parts of our site, like the gallery). It's possible that you still have an old cookie somewhere left in your browser, although I doubt it since you said you deleted all mobileread.com cookies. Can you double check to see if there is really no cookie left before you try to relogin?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:21 PM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
That is strange indeed. The only possible reason I can think of is that we switched in our cookies from www.mobileread.com to mobileread.com like half a year ago or so (to allow for the same login throughout various parts of our site, like the gallery). It's possible that you still have an old cookie somewhere left in your browser, although I doubt it since you said you deleted all mobileread.com cookies. Can you double check to see if there is really no cookie left before you try to relogin?
Perhaps my browser is configured by default not to allow sites to read cookies set up by different sites. And mobileread.com is perhaps different from www.mobileread.com. At the moment I am using Mint Linux - a customized version of Ubuntu Linux

I am trying to correct the problem by whitelisting www.mobileread.com amd mobileread.com cookies, playing with cookies.txt file.
So far I can log in, but the behaviour is highly inconsistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leandroide
For me, it works perfectly with Firefox/2.0.0.6 using an up-to-date Ubuntu-feisty system. And it always had
Perhaps it works for you because you have that half a year old cookie from www.mobileread.com still in your cookies.txt file

I suspect that an old cookie in my long used firefox installation expired or got deleted and I can not remain logged in.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2007, 06:29 AM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

kacir, please try to delete all www.mobileread.com cookies. They should no longer be created if you login fresh because we switched to the .mobileread.com cookie format.

It's possible that the old www.mobileread.com could interfere with the login process.

Good luck!
Old 08-18-2007, 08:26 AM   #7
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
Quote:
Perhaps it works for you because you have that half a year old cookie from www.mobileread.com still in your cookies.txt file

Quote:
Originally Posted by leandroide View Post

L.
I don't think so. I made a fresh install when the stable version of ubuntu feisty was released, and this was 2007/04/19.

L.
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:35 AM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:

I suspect that an old cookie in my long used firefox installation expired or got deleted and I can not remain logged in.
Actually it's the way around... having the old cookie still in your browser's cache could cause problems.