Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-04-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Skiff reader is largest yet with 11.5" display to debut at CES

This is the Reader from the Hearst consortium formerly known as FirstPaper. 1600x 1200 11.5 inch touch screen. Finger and stylus touch say the articles

Skiff Reader is 1/4 inch thick weighing just over a pound with a battery that will last "typically " a week" Download content with WiFi or 3g (via sprint) from the Skiff store etc. You'll be able to purchase it at Sprint stores.

The Skiff content delivery service will available for other devices.

Display is LG's flexible display using e-ink and their "foil-backed" tech instead of glass. I wonder which is more durable Platic Logics or LG?

press release

http://wireless.sys-con.com/node/1234459

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/04/s...-a-sprint-sto/

There are some photos and a 360 view at the Skiff site.

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 01-04-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The first Skiff Reader will be demonstrated at an invitation-only CES event presented by Sprint on Jan 7th and 8th.
hmm. so no hands on outside the events Thursday and Friday
Old 01-04-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I'm waitlisted for the sessions, darnit.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:58 PM   #4
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
It looks good...too bad it's e-ink still...but if adequately powered, it could prove formidable against the Que for news/document reading...
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
It looks snazzy! Every day sees new contenders for large screen readers, I love it!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #6
Dulin's Books
Wizard

this is an interesting step for Hearst el al.

The foil backed display tech from LG is also being tested with OLED displays. They probably are looking at flexible/durable PHOLED for future versions
Old 01-04-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Hell, that's great.

Wanna have but they should change the green ring to a grey color - it takes the focus from the reader =(.

Last edited by joblack; 01-04-2010 at 02:35 PM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:37 PM   #8
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Hm, looks spiffy, wonder what formats it uses.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:40 PM   #9
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I guess I'm not that tuned into the colors, because I had to go back to see what you were talking about. What green ring? I thought. It still took me a few seconds to see it, when I DID look again. I was too busy drooling over the rest of it, I guess.

I WANT a reader, darn it. I just need to find the right one, and I'm getting impatient.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:50 PM   #10
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I don't see how this is the largest display...the Que panel is spec'd at 8.5" x 11" which means about a 14" diagonal measurement. Still it's a nice true large format panel.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:52 PM   #11
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
If you go to the website and check on the tech specs, the display is "the world's first metal-foil e-paper display". The substrate is stainless steel which means no glass! The screen was developed by LG Display.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:55 PM   #12
Dulin's Books
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
...the Que panel is spec'd at 8.5" x 11" which means about a 14" diagonal measurement.
No the Que device is spec'd at 8 1/2 by 11 the Que display is smaller. Its 10.6 or something diagonal
Old 01-04-2010, 02:55 PM   #13
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
I don't see how this is the largest display...the Que panel is spec'd at 8.5" x 11" which means about a 14" diagonal measurement. Still it's a nice true large format panel.
As far as I remember, it is the size of the Que device not the screen alone.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #14
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
If you go to the website and check on the tech specs, the display is "the world's first metal-foil e-paper display". The substrate is stainless steel which means no glass! The screen was developed by LG Display.
well, it is not as if the plastic logic FLEXIBLE panel is going to use glass...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
As far as I remember, it is the size of the Que device not the screen alone.
About the size of the Que's panel here is the summary page form the PL site:

http://www.plasticlogic.com/ereader/index.php

Quote:
The Largest Screen in the Industry. At a whopping 8.5 x 11 inches, the letter-sized QUE makes reading business documents, newspapers and periodicals effortless.
I see they got me...it sounds like a letter sized panel but it's not...d'oh!! RIF, huh? hehehehe...thanks!

Last edited by brecklundin; 01-04-2010 at 02:59 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:00 PM   #15
nezroy
nezroy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
It looks good...too bad it's e-ink still...but if adequately powered, it could prove formidable against the Que for news/document reading...
Only e-ink devices have a chance of reaching a mass audience outside of the geek niche, and luckily it seems that most current device makers realize that. The iSlate may make techheads drool in comparison, but reading on an emissive display will never have a chance against the paper and e-paper experience.
nezroy is offline   Reply With Quote