Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-15-2016, 02:35 AM   #1
in_finem
in_finem began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
"Did something wrong": [Update Kindle] is greyed out

Hi everybody - I've been peeking at this site over the past week, and tonight I've been having a blast jailbreaking my kindle. I've been following this particular post, got to the hotfix installation, and couldn't run any updates afterwards. I did a bit of searching, and it seems like this is a common theme. The only thing I've seen for help is "You probably did something wrong." So my question is this: Can we make a sticky on how to handle a greyed-out update? Are there any common mistakes that make this happen? Anyway, thanks to all y'all for such inspiring hacks! I really want to develop my own extension!

Cheers!
in_finem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:53 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_finem View Post
Hi everybody - I've been peeking at this site over the past week, and tonight I've been having a blast jailbreaking my kindle. I've been following this particular post, got to the hotfix installation, and couldn't run any updates afterwards. I did a bit of searching, and it seems like this is a common theme. The only thing I've seen for help is "You probably did something wrong." So my question is this: Can we make a sticky on how to handle a greyed-out update? Are there any common mistakes that make this happen? Anyway, thanks to all y'all for such inspiring hacks! I really want to develop my own extension!

Cheers!
Why write a sticky for people not to read?

Please just try reading the rest of the instructions, including the spoilers and follow them carefully.

Your only problem is you stopped reading too soon.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:38 PM   #3
in_finem
in_finem began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Thanks for the reply! So did I stop reading too soon before the hotfix, or after? I read the spoilers, and even logged my steps as I went along to ensure, to the best of my ability, that I wasn't doing it recklessly. I'm not asking this to be spoon-fed, I'm asking to see where my blind spot is - apparently, something went under the radar, and it wasn't because I spent only 5 minutes to read the material. I really respect everybody's investment of time and livelihood to this forum and I'm not trying to just say "Yo, i got a kindel and i cnt hack it. halp?" To the best of my ability, I'm trying to approach this rigorously.
in_finem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:55 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_finem View Post
Thanks for the reply! So did I stop reading too soon before the hotfix, or after? I read the spoilers, and even logged my steps as I went along to ensure, to the best of my ability, that I wasn't doing it recklessly. I'm not asking this to be spoon-fed, I'm asking to see where my blind spot is - apparently, something went under the radar, and it wasn't because I spent only 5 minutes to read the material. I really respect everybody's investment of time and livelihood to this forum and I'm not trying to just say "Yo, i got a kindel and i cnt hack it. halp?" To the best of my ability, I'm trying to approach this rigorously.
Reread all the instructions.
Double check that you followed all steps.
Read your logs again.
Post exactly what you did so we can look over it and find your blind spot.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 11-16-2016 at 10:57 PM.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 06:56 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Read and follow Step #8.a
There is no substitute for Step #8.a

You claim to have completed Step #6.
Follow that link again, read the sentence directly above the attachment:
Quote:
If you're coming straight from the 5.6.5 JB or the Factory Downgrade threads and you completely skipped the first post of *this* thread, be aware that on FW >= 5.5.x (i.e., you), using MRPI is REQUIRED to install every other custom packages!
Plus, the first post of the thread about MrPI (which you haven't seen yet):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=251143

= = = = = =

Translation:
On firmware 5.5 or newer, the UYK button will always be grayed out with our packages.
It can not be used with our packages on the firmware version you have installed.
Sorry, that is Amazon's idea, not ours.

- - - - - - - -

If the use of MrPI does not fix your problem -
Then follow the directions given by Cinisajoy in the post above -
I.E: Post the entire story so we can find out for certain what you need to do.

Last edited by knc1; 11-17-2016 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:14 AM   #6
melovesflying
Groupie
melovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura, Kobo Glo HD
Maybe OP is asking about how to update to the latest firmware OTA or manually but the "Update your Kindle" option is greyed out?
melovesflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:03 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by melovesflying View Post
Maybe OP is asking about how to update to the latest firmware OTA or manually but the "Update your Kindle" option is greyed out?
Step #7 comes before Step #8 in the number system that I used.

Prior to Step #8, there is no possible way except the one described by Amazon for installing their packages.
And if OTA updates are blocked, it is because the user intentional did that.