Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Perfect Summer Reading

Why would anyone's reading preferences change for the summer? Is this label simply "marketing code?" Does it mean; "not engaging enough to have to worry about frequent distractions?" "The perfect accessory to complete this season's beach ensemble?" Seriously: what. does. it. mean? And why have they chosen to hide whatever its true meaning is behind some sort of code?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-11-2013 at 08:54 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Maybe they're all stories about winter, to help you keep your cool.

Or maybe they're all stories about summer, to help you get in the mood.

Or maybe they're all short, because the nights are shorter so you presumably have less time inside reading because you're going to be outside enjoying the weather.

Or maybe they're all long, so you have something to fill those long days when it's too hot to go outside.

Or maybe they come with water proof covers - to protect at the beach and from sweaty fingers.

Or maybe they didn't sell over winter, so they assume they must be books for summer.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
It means the book equivalent of movie summer "blockbusters" - mostly big, shallow, easy to read stuff that doesn't make you think much, which you can read in short bursts. The type of thing you'd spot mom-types reading in a beach chair while their kids are off in the water.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I always buy my books based on how the cover matches my wardrobe.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
It means the book equivalent of movie summer "blockbusters" - mostly big, shallow, easy to read stuff that doesn't make you think much, which you can read in short bursts. The type of thing you'd spot mom-types reading in a beach chair while their kids are off in the water.
+1

I also think it plays into a phenomenon similar to marketing certain items for New Years Resolutions. I've known a lot of people, especially females, that spend all year claiming they don't have time to read, but "This summer I'm going to..." Sometimes it's because they have relaxing vacations planned, or the kids are being shipped off to the grandparents for a few weeks, etc.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have a three year old, work a full time job, make meals most days and I manage to read quite a bit. This no time thing is a myth.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So they're basically for people who normally don't really -- you know -- read (or read one book per year)?

I always get a visual of someone packing away all their winter books getting ready for the summer reading season.

I guess I'm really out of touch. It just never ocurred to me that there were people who only read when they're on vacation--likely in summer. I gotta get out more.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I always get a visual of someone packing away all their winter books getting ready for the summer reading season.

Quote:
I guess I'm really out of touch. It just never ocurred to me that there were people who only read when they're on vacation--likely in summer. I gotta get out more.
There are certainly a number of people that fit that demographic among folks I know. They consider it odd that a few people I know, and myself, almost always have something that they're currently reading.

I read somewhere (can't recall where) that publishers consider someone who buys twelve books a year to be a heavy book buyer. Not sure what that makes someone like me.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I actually know quite some people who consider any activity that doesn't make you money in some way a waste of time.

If that activity *costs* you money (buying a book to read, a game to play or a movie to see), they are of the opinion that you're not only wasting your life, but your money as well.

Still, those people book vacations that cost thousands of dollars, because "they have worked for that and more than earned it". Do they read anything on vacation? I don't know, but seeing the places they go, and how they look when they get home, they don't get any farther than lying on the beach for 2-4 weeks. IMHO, *that* is an utter waste of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

I read somewhere (can't recall where) that publishers consider someone who buys twelve books a year to be a heavy book buyer. Not sure what that makes someone like me.
An addict, without any hope of redemption whatsoever
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I always buy my books based on how the cover matches my wardrobe.
...but of course
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

"I'm looking for something that will match my wrap. Maybe something in a silver Trebuchet bold font?"
Old 07-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #12
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
It's such a wild idea that people on vacation in the summertime have more time to read than they do when they're not on vacation? And that consequently they might choose a lengthier book to take to the beach?

And it there something inherently baffling about reading a book with a summer vibe in the summer? Is it odd to read Christmas-themed books at Christmas too?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #13
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Maybe it's just me, but if I have more or less time, then I'll just finish the book earlier or later. If Christmas comes along while I'm reading a 1000-page horror novel, I'm certainly not going to put it on hold or anything
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #14
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
I suppose there's also the small advantage that others are likely to be reading the same book which is a quick conversation starter. This obviously doesn't work with ebooks though.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
It's such a wild idea that people on vacation in the summertime have more time to read than they do when they're not on vacation?
Nope. Not it all. It's a wild idea to me that someone who claims a desire to read would do so ONLY (or even mostly) on vacation.

Quote:
And that consequently they might choose a lengthier book to take to the beach?
Does length have something to do with being labeled "A Perfect Summer Read?" I had no idea. Thanks.

Quote:
And it there something inherently baffling about reading a book with a summer vibe in the summer?
Sorry. Never really noticed books with the "Perfect Summer Reading" label having much of anything to do with a "summer vibe" before. I guess I'll take your word that many do? Thanks again.