Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
Naloomi
Building Better Worlds
Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.

Device: PRS-600, 3G Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6+, Paperwhite 2
Avoiding the 'Horizontal Lines' on my Kindle Keyboard

Hello all. My 'good' Kindle Keyboard is currently missing (been missing for a couple months). In theory it is in my house 'somewhere' but only those omnipotent beings would have a clue. Went to buy the Nook ST from RadioShack last week, but everywhere I went was told 'we don't have any in stock', 'when they went clearance I bought them all up to sell on ebay', etc etc etc. So, I thought I was out of luck reading wise (I have an iPad but I really don't like reading on LCD, hurts my eyes) since I am not lucky enough to get any of the awesome e-reader deals of late.

That was until an awesome friend of mine gave me her old Kindle Keyboard. She stopped using it and bought a paperwhite (which she LOVES) because there are 2 horizontal lines right through the 'middle' of the screen that block everything out beneath them.

I've done some basic troubleshooting, all for naught, and Kindle support says they'll 'give' me a Kindle xxx for like $10-$20 off their refurb prices (not much of a deal if you ask me since you can usually find them from other e-tailers for the same price they were offering me) if I send this one in.

Since the basic troubleshooting has not worked, I was wondering if there is a 'hack' out there that would let the ebooks completely 'avoid' that section of the screen. I can change the font size to make it 'readable' to some extent at the least. If there isn't any way around this, I can live with that. I was just hoping someone here might know how so that I can get buy until able to get a new e-reader or until I find my old Kindle Keyboard.

Chris
aka Naloomi
Naloomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
post a picture.

maybe we can create a modification of the "framebuffer moving" thingy in KUAL...

So what you want them to just draw as "nothing?" that might be possible...
BUT: read on:

I suspect though that screen is broken and no amount of clever programming is going to change the color of those lines... as the data to "change the beads' configuration" can no longer reach them....

Simple test... are they there AT ALL TIMES - even when you do a hard reset etc... even when the machine reboots?

at that point - you will need a new screen....

Last edited by twobob; 05-15-2013 at 01:28 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
Naloomi
Building Better Worlds
Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.

Yes, the lines are always there:

I don't care if the color of the lines is changed, but I'd love it if the text did not use the area the lines are in.

Chris
aka Naloomi
Old 05-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 wifi, K3 3G, K Touch, K Paperwhite
New screen can be had for $40 or less to your door anywhere in the world and if a ham-fisted oaf like me can swap one in 15 minutes anyone can.
hunnymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What Hunny said.

Although I would have said about 30£ around my way... 1 bit of case popping open, 10ish fiddly screws, a little connector thingy and a bit of care will see you with a new one fitted.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
Naloomi
Building Better Worlds

I was afraid that might be the case. My hands are not that good with tiny screws. Ah well. Guess I'll read around it until I can find an awesome deal on an e-reader.

Chris
aka Naloomi
Old 05-16-2013, 01:46 AM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naloomi View Post
I was afraid that might be the case. My hands are not that good with tiny screws. Ah well. Guess I'll read around it until I can find an awesome deal on an e-reader.

Chris
aka Naloomi
The K4 or Kindle Basic is only $69 dollars. It's a great little reader. I have two of them. I use my Paperwhite now and recommended it over all Kindles but my second choice would be the K4.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:26 AM   #8
twobob

That's a fair point. for like 30% more you can just buy a new one.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #9
Naloomi
Building Better Worlds

Which is exactly why the 'deals' Amazon was sharing with me if I sent this 'broken' kindle in. I'll just keep my eye out for a $40 or less deal or continue tearing my house apart until I find my 'good' kindle. In the meantime I suppose I'll live with the lines.

Thanks everyone.

Chris
aka Naloomi
Old 05-17-2013, 03:03 AM   #10
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 wifi, K3 3G, K Touch, K Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
What Hunny said.

Although I would have said about 30£ around my way... 1 bit of case popping open, 10ish fiddly screws, a little connector thingy and a bit of care will see you with a new one fitted.
I'm in the same area (country) as you. Most expensive K3 screen I've replaced was $40.12 delivered (£26). Granted it took a fortnight to arrive but price was the key.
hunnymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #11
electronicfur
Connoisseur
electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Samsung Note FBReader, Nook Simple Touch FBReader, (Kindle3 died)
My Kindle screen has similar issue, half the screen looks faded like a poor photocopy. Seems many Kindles suffer this fate.

Poor customer service from Amazon, as they wont repair it.

Was going to get diy replacement screen, cheapest I could find was £30 from Hong Kong, but no point when Kindle Simple Touch can be bought for £29 in Sainsburys.
electronicfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #12
Edward_R
Zealot
Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Pacific Northwest (about 35 miles northeast of Seattle)
Device: K3 / HP 10" Tablet (FBreader Installed)
You could always PM twobob and see if the scroller that he references in post #6 in this thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212902) would work in your case.
Edward_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #13
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicfur View Post
My Kindle screen has similar issue, half the screen looks faded like a poor photocopy. Seems many Kindles suffer this fate.

Poor customer service from Amazon, as they wont repair it.

Was going to get diy replacement screen, cheapest I could find was £30 from Hong Kong, but no point when Kindle Simple Touch can be bought for £29 in Sainsburys.
29£? REALLY? SERIOUSLY? *jumps online to check that*

you mean 69 no???

Err... you mean the NOOK... And they are out of stock.

Last edited by twobob; 05-17-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #14
Naloomi
Building Better Worlds

Yeah,

Nook Simple Touch was on clearance at RadioShack here in the states for $19, and I heard it was clearanced somewhere on the other side of the pond. No where in SE Michigan could you get one the day AFTER they went on clearance. I was all over and either managers/staff bought them all up or they were no longer in stock.

Chris
aka Naloomi
Old 05-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #15
twobob

meh. I was gonna hack Doom onto that. Ho hum. I'll live.

So... did you manage to configure the "Scroller" thing to be helpful?

Tags
hack, kindle keyboard