Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #16
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I do know you can buy apps for Chrome or Android that are good at spread sheets. However Google's stuff seems to be free.
If something on the internet is free, you are probably the product...
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #17
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I... Google's stuff seems to be free.
Google offers a lot of freebies. But the reality is that its not free. What it costs is you. Your privacy, your information, your likes and dislikes, your interests and hobbies, what you think, where you go and so on and so on ad nauseam. There is NO way I am giving over my entire OS/apps/purchasing/activity behaviours to one entity... and especially not if I cant even store my own stuff on my own computer. Not for me, this latest invasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
Yes. For example, facebook: Free.. ya think? I run Abine's Do not track and it blocks facebook from following you on thousands of sites (Facebook is one of several companies that secretly tracks you at millions of websites. You blocked Facebook from tracking you 13282 times on other sites. ). Google +...same thing (Google is one of several companies that secretly tracks you at millions of websites.You blocked Google from tracking you 3624 times on other sites. ). You think all those cute little "like" and "+1" buttons are handy? They are.. but they aren't actually for you. These companies may not charge but they are making money hand over fist on YOUR information, your "stuff".

Last edited by kyteflyer; 12-14-2012 at 09:30 PM.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2012, 07:13 AM   #18
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Facebook Google+ Myspace

want to know too much!
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #19
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/201...g-laptops.html

Friday, December 14, 2012
Chromebooks, Best-Selling Laptops
Who said that Chromebooks aren't popular? If you look at Amazon's list of the best sellers in the "Laptop computers" category, you'll find 4 Chromebooks in the top 11:

#1: Samsung Chromebook (57 days in the top 100) - out of stock
#5: Samsung Chromebook 3G (57 days in the top 100) - out of stock
#9: Samsung Series 5 550 Chromebook (199 days in the top 100)
#11: Acer C7 Chromebook (6 days in the top 100)

Samsung's ARM Chromebook is also best selling laptop at Amazon.UK

France, Germany, Spain, Italy - sold out
Old 12-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #20
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Tried both at BB and I would prefer the Acer.

Only available currently via shipping at this point, BB is out of stock most anywhere close to me. The Chrome market is only a small subset of google's play store is my assumtion?

For $199 I may give it a try though. Reviews seem decent enough but I have a Nexus 7 so maybe lots of duplicity is my first thought.

Last edited by robertc88; 12-15-2012 at 12:21 PM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #21
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/201...g-laptops.html

Friday, December 14, 2012
Chromebooks, Best-Selling Laptops
Who said that Chromebooks aren't popular? If you look at Amazon's list of the best sellers in the "Laptop computers" category, you'll find 4 Chromebooks in the top 11:

#1: Samsung Chromebook (57 days in the top 100) - out of stock
#5: Samsung Chromebook 3G (57 days in the top 100) - out of stock
#9: Samsung Series 5 550 Chromebook (199 days in the top 100)
#11: Acer C7 Chromebook (6 days in the top 100)

Samsung's ARM Chromebook is also best selling laptop at Amazon.UK

France, Germany, Spain, Italy - sold out
I picked up my Chromebook last month, the Samsung model. It seems no one can keep these things in stock. I saw that Best Buy had some one day, so I rushed over. I had to wait a while because it hadn't yet been unloaded from the truck.

There are people who say "why would you want a Chromebook when you can have a tablet?" I have a Tablet, a Kindle Fire. Each device has its own strength and weaknesses. I'd much rather read a book on a tablet than on a Chromebook. But I would rather use the internet on a Chromebook than on a tablet. You can put a keyboard on a tablet, but that seems like an awkward solution. The Chromebook is going to be the right choice for everyone, but I'm happy with it.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #22
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I picked up my Chromebook last month, the Samsung model. It seems no one can keep these things in stock. I saw that Best Buy had some one day, so I rushed over. I had to wait a while because it hadn't yet been unloaded from the truck.

There are people who say "why would you want a Chromebook when you can have a tablet?" I have a Tablet, a Kindle Fire. Each device has its own strength and weaknesses. I'd much rather read a book on a tablet than on a Chromebook. But I would rather use the internet on a Chromebook than on a tablet. You can put a keyboard on a tablet, but that seems like an awkward solution. The Chromebook is going to be the right choice for everyone, but I'm happy with it.
Browsing the net was good enough from my perspective but is it 4:3 rather than 16:9? I know there were keys to make what one was viewing larger and smaller which I liked alot. And a brightness key as well. I found the Acer display more pleasing to me but I didn't try to adjust the Samsung.

I was rather impressed with my first experience. With the wifi in BB, the Acer was pretty speedy considering everything using that hotspot in the store.

No stock anywhere with zipcodes I checked. No telling how many are out there for availability at this point versus what the demand is. Maybe they cannot make them fast enough but who knows.

Last edited by robertc88; 12-15-2012 at 12:31 PM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #23
forsooth
tec montage

Quote:

Always.
"can't get them yet. try next week"
"sold out"
"try next week"
Old 12-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #24
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
The Chromebook is going to be the right choice for everyone, but I'm happy with it.
I meant to say "The Chromebook is NOT going to be the right choice for everyone, but I'm happy with it." One little word changes so much...

I think they are all 16:9 these days.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #25
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I meant to say "The Chromebook is NOT going to be the right choice for everyone, but I'm happy with it." One little word changes so much...
It's OK. Uncertainty is all the rage in the quantum era.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:59 AM   #26
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
My brother managed to get a Chromebook. I'm pretty impressed with it.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:42 AM   #27
forsooth
tec montage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultBoy View Post
My brother managed to get a Chromebook. I'm pretty impressed with it.
Yes that is way it is.

'I know guy who knows guy who dates girl who father works with guy who son is electronic guy who got one and sold it double price.'

Same story all time.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #28
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
Exceptions include free and open source software, at least some of the sites hosting public domain works, and at least some sites hosting works with creative commons licenses.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:04 AM   #29
forsooth
tec montage

Acer showed on website briefly revised C7 chromebook model

had twice ram 4gb
had 500gb hard drive not 320gb
had large battery 5000mAh for 6hour twice old

problem cost is 300USD 150% old cost
Acer took it off site
said just test no decision
Old 12-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #30
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I am still waffling around thinking about it, though Christmas slowed me down. Has anyone first hand experience yet with the two new ones?

Samsung S3 $249
Acer C7 $199
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote