Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
Can't read 100 this year? Try 5!

While skimming through a book about modern day hermits I came across an interview with an American poet Robert Lax.
The interview made its way to the subject of possesions and eventually, books.

"Take the five books you'd take to a desert island and keep re-reading them."
-Robert Lax

I thought it would be interesting to share top five lists, not for a desert island but just one year of reading.

My hypothetical list:
1. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
2. Lilith (George McDonald)
3. Fight Club
4. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
5. House of the Dead (Dostoyevsky)

I don't know if I could go all year without some non-fiction, I was considering the Bible but then I wanted to put a bunch of other texts along with it. I tried to choose books that had alot of depth to them and rich characters over more plot driven titles.
There you go, Im curious to see what books others would choose to "study" for a year.

*Sharing*
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Can't limit it to 5 - gotta have my kindle and a solar charger!

I'd take the complete works of Lois Bujold, to start.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
My 5

Portrait of a lady
Jeeves and Wooster omnibus (yes cheating)
Foundation anthology (cheating again)
Emily Dickinson
How to get off this f$&@ing island for dummies.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
hmmmmmm....

1984-orwell
The Long Walk-king
God's Demon (great novel by sf/fantasy artist Wayne Barlowe)
a Lovecraft omnibus (cheating )
Biohazard by Tim Curran
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
1. Cloudstreet
2. To Kill a Mockingbird
3. A Prayer for Owen Meany
4. Life of Pi
5. Watership Down

(the first I have read several times, but I could still read it again, the rest are on my personal "to be re-read" list)
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Nevermind.

Last edited by Synamon; 05-05-2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Apparently the topic is quantity not quality.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
1. Sherlock Holmes omnibus (cheating, don't care)
2. The Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan
3. The Lord of the Rings
4. The Shining
5. 1984
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
1. Canoe Building

Kidding of course...

1. The Bible
2. The Iliad/Odyssey
3. On Moral Fiction
4. Moby Dick
5. Sense & Sensibility

Edit: Though, I might try to squeeze the whole "Game of Thrones" cycle and "The Lord of the Rings" in there too.

Last edited by djulian; 05-02-2012 at 10:16 PM.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
My 5

Portrait of a lady
Jeeves and Wooster omnibus (yes cheating)
Foundation anthology (cheating again)
Emily Dickinson
How to get off this f$&@ing island for dummies.
You don't need #5. All you need is enough duct-tape. I saw a Mythbusters episode where they survived on a deserted island with nothing by duct-tape. They eventually made a boat and got off that way.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:46 PM   #10
ala380
ala380 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet
Wow, this is really hard!

1. Jane Eyre
2. Wicked
3. Tao Te Ching
4. Les Miserables
5. Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe
ala380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:44 AM   #11
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
The Complete Works of Shakespeare.
Nicholas Nickleby
A Fine a Private Place, Peter Beagle
Book of Edible Island Plants and Where to Find Fresh Water
Castaway, Lucy Irvine

Perhaps I should take a large book about cats, I would miss them so much. Can I smuggle them onto the island? In which case, I'd also want:

How To Care For a Cat on a Desert Island, by U. R. Hapi
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:27 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Since cheating seems to be allowed, I'm going to have a server farm with unlimited storage and every book ever written as an eBook and I'm going to have unlimited solar & wind power to run the servers and devices to read what I want when I want. So I'll be all set for reading for life.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:52 AM   #13
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Since cheating seems to be allowed, I'm going to have a server farm with unlimited storage and every book ever written as an eBook and I'm going to have unlimited solar & wind power to run the servers and devices to read what I want when I want. So I'll be all set for reading for life.
I wouldn't consider an omnibus cheating, so long as it is all contained in one binding.
I think the whole idea is to become more familiar with your favorite works. Personaly, when I read I dont make it a point to understand EVERYTHING that is going on simply for the sake of flow. I imagine I miss alot of foreshadowing, metaphors, and all that other boring stuff from High School because I rarely re-read something.
Right now I have nowhere near the amount of discipline it would take to focus on five books all year.
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:57 AM   #14
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBanned View Post
I wouldn't consider an omnibus cheating, so long as it is all contained in one binding.
I think the whole idea is to become more familiar with your favorite works. Personaly, when I read I dont make it a point to understand EVERYTHING that is going on simply for the sake of flow. I imagine I miss alot of foreshadowing, metaphors, and all that other boring stuff from High School because I rarely re-read something.
Right now I have nowhere near the amount of discipline it would take to focus on five books all year.
i don't really think about what i read either. i may pick something up on the rare occasion i re-read a book but generally i just let it flow.

on a side note all that breaking down of books in school truly made reading a chore.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:27 AM   #15
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If in one binding isn't cheating...

Douglas Adams - The More than Complete Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy
Italo Calvino - Italian Folktales
John Steinbeck - The Short Novels of John Steinbeck
The Orphan's Tales: In the Night Garden - Catherynne M. Valente
is there some sort of complete Terry Pratchett collection?
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote