Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-07-2011, 05:28 AM   #31
Gustav Gans
Enthusiast
Gustav Gans began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I have to charge almost every day because I use Wi-Fi to surf the web, and that can drain the battery within 1 day.
Gustav Gans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:56 AM   #32
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I can't get over how good my battery is - 3 weeks now - charging via 650 mains charger .
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #33
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav Gans View Post
I have to charge almost every day because I use Wi-Fi to surf the web, and that can drain the battery within 1 day.
You must be doing some heavy-duty surfing to drain your battery in a day. That could be a defective battery. Did you ever not use wifi so heavily? If so, how much battery did you get out of it? Plus, with the issue you reported with the buttons, maybe think of returning it and getting another unit

Last edited by jersysman; 12-07-2011 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Additional info came to lite.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #34
DirkGently
DirkGently began at the beginning.

Should the wall charger be micro usb or ordinary usb?
DirkGently is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkGently View Post
Should the wall charger be micro usb or ordinary usb?
Micro USB. I use an iGo wall charger with the blackberry tip.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:09 AM   #36
capuchino71
Enthusiast
capuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony prs350 ,and awaiting PRS-t1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Micro USB. I use an iGo wall charger with the blackberry tip.
Strange, my IGo can't charge the PSR-t1, but can charge the prs350
capuchino71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:32 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capuchino71 View Post
Strange, my IGo can't charge the PSR-t1, but can charge the prs350
That is odd. I wonder why that is.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:04 AM   #38
hary12
hary12 began at the beginning.

Device: deviced
I bought my dell charger on the side http://www.scontobatteria.com , and it has not had any problems.
hary12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #39
tnoko
Immobile
tnoko began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRST1
Sony PRST1 charging problems (solved)

I could not figure out the charging issues with this device. Sometimes it sit for for days in the charger, with no positive effect.

So I made my own charger out 5Volts 5Amps power source. It had an amp-meter too. This is what I found out:

PRST1 starts charging cycle with load tests (max 750mA). If the charger is able to provide, it happily continues using the biggest. If all of those tests fails, the charging current will be extremely tiny (50mA), which would take WEEKS to charge the battery.

The problem is that the Sony's test is TOO DAMN SHORT, it does not allow the the voltage to settle.

I found plenty of USB-cords that could not provide. And in fact often the RF-filter (the black round thingy) seemed to raise the inductance just enough for the load test to fail. Sony's own USB cord is OK. Also all cords which are very short and do not have the RF-thingy are good.
tnoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by conocan View Post
Hi guys,

I just ordered a PRS-T1 and now looking for charger. I don't wanna buy the original sony charger since it is slightly expensive.

Does anyone has this:
http://www.amazon.com/Generation-Cha...pr_product_top

I would appreciate your comments and suggestions.
If you want something of know good quality that works and is cheaper, go with iGo.

http://www.igo.com/mobile-devices/wa...t/ps002540008/

it is a wall charger that comes with a free tip and the price is $11.99 . Just get the blackberry tip. It is what I use to charge my 650 and it works well with a T1.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #41
Hartsock
Enthusiast
Hartsock began at the beginning.

I really can't understand the T1 battery performance. Sometimes the charge can be full, or near full... I put the T1 into Standby, wi-fi and wi-fi standby off. Pull it out a day later and the T1 has shut off. Powering up and battery meter is showing nothing.

On the other hand it can go a couple weeks left in Standby after reading and no such problem as above. Don't know if it is a battery problem, a power metering problem, of something completely different.
Hartsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:07 AM   #42
mochaiso
mochaiso began at the beginning.

I've had mine since April and was not having any problems and then just a week ago I started seeing this. It seems that the battery is ok, but what ever software manages it on the reader gets buggered up. My unit is non-rooted and I use Calibre to manage the books on it. How do you recalibrate the battery if the unit is not rooted? There is no /data/system/batterystats.bin file on my unit.
mochaiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:37 AM   #43
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
Without root you only have 2 options:

1) Fully charge the battery and do Factory Reset. You'll loose all data of course...

2) Do a couple of full charge / discharge cycles, the reader should calibrate automatically.

Maybe there's also a third option: enter recovery console (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...covery_Console), be sure the battery is fully charged. Now you can delete the file via
Code:
cd /tmp
mkdir data
mount /dev/mmcblk2p9 data
rm data/system/batterystats.bin
umount data
reboot
Even the unrooted reader has the Testmode app installed and there must be a way to activate it, I'm not sure. But with Testmode app, you can boot into recovery console too.
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #44
mochaiso
mochaiso began at the beginning.

uboot,

I tried your idea but it's not working due to the same issue discuss here.

Last edited by mochaiso; 08-15-2012 at 11:01 AM.
mochaiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #45
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
Ok, if you want to go for the third option, let's continue in the thread you mentioned. I'm sure there is a solution, we just need to find the magic files needed to make an unrooted reader boot into recovery...

I also updated the wiki instructions: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...covery_Console

Last edited by uboot; 08-15-2012 at 11:53 AM.
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote