Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: EZReader
Question Maybe a simple Calibre question.

I found portable Calibre, which pleases me immensely - and here is what I'd like for it to do:

Take a folder of plain TXT files - do the most basic possible conversion to EPUB, save them using JUST the filenames they have (as in filename.TXT-> filename.EPUB), and save in the same folder...

Don't catalog them - don't make - extraneous copies - don't transfer them to anyplace or anything - don't 'help' me out in any fancy way...JUST convert 'em !

Is this possible ?

Last time I used Calibre it did WAAAAY more stuff than I wanted and saved copies of copies of copies of stuff that were just not needed...

Thanks !
smallhagrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Use the command line tools. This thread might help.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #3
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Thumbs up Way cool !

My thanks:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Use the command line tools. This thread might help.
That thread is a keeper - especially where Manichean contributed:
Code:
for %%i in (*.pdf) do start /wait ebook-convert "%%i" "%%i.epub"
(I wish the search here had revealed that wonderful info !!!)
All that remains is to see if it finds what it needs when started from the portable Calibre I have now...

Thanks Again !

Last edited by smallhagrid; 04-07-2011 at 09:50 PM. Reason: me stoopid.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallhagrid View Post
All that remains is to see if it finds what it needs when started from the portable Calibre I have now...
If the portable doesn't work install the full version locally and just use the Command line.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
smallhagrid
Hillbilly

Thanks but I'll pass on the installed Calibre - last time I did that on my old desktop it made too many changes which I did not approve of; portable is the way to go with this one I think - even if I must change my path statement for it.

Thanks !
Old 04-08-2011, 02:35 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallhagrid View Post
Thanks but I'll pass on the installed Calibre - last time I did that on my old desktop it made too many changes which I did not approve of; portable is the way to go with this one I think - even if I must change my path statement for it.
Strange you should say that - I thought Calibre made hardly any changes and as such had one of the least intrusive installers I have seen in a while!

When you talk about a Portable calibre, are you talking about one based on a portable bootable system or one based on the batch file supplied with Calibre? If you are using the latter technique it can always be upgraded to the latest version without having it installed on you hard disk.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:50 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Strange you should say that - I thought Calibre made hardly any changes and as such had one of the least intrusive installers I have seen in a while!
It is not intrusive at all, he didn't like the books being copied to his library and renamed. Of course even installing the full program locally would be no more intrusive then the portable version (I believe he is using the one found here) as long as you use the command line tools.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:18 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I interpreted him as saying that it was the install that was intrusive - not the way that Calibre operates.

That was why I was asking which portable approach he was using. Using the one based on the calibre-portable batch file does not preclude one from updating to the latest version at any point, and still does not require a local install.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:35 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

This is the confusion that happens when a poster opens up two threads on the same topic. I had info he stated in this thread.

In some parts of the world opening two threads on the same topic would be a capital offense.