Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-14-2010, 04:09 AM   #1
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
Question What does it actually mean.

I have almost reached the dizzy target of 650 downloads of my very first ebook I have published. (648 to be honest at this time)

I am quite pleased with myself considering I am an unknown, Its my first Novelette, and it's in a niche market (gay erotica)

But because the book is free, and the fact each download counts what does it actually mean. Is it any good as no one has reviewed it.

I'm questioning myself for the following reasons.

1. user of smashwords know that once you've paid for it you can download it as many times as you want in all different formats. (I wholeheartedly endorse this by the way)
2. It's free and readers aren't going to lose anything by downloading
3. No reviews - quite common on smashwords I think.

I guess this along with my writers block (see other thread) I'm suffering a crisis of confidence.
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:43 AM   #2
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Perhaps your book is still on the TBR pile of some readers? I tend to grab any low priced or free books I find interesting when they come along, adding them to the queue of books to read. Often it's only till some time later I get around to reading these books and leaving a review. So perhaps don't get discouraged just yet, especially if it's only been early days?
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I'm with Viviena. I have a couple of freebies that sound interesting and the sample I downloaded seem well-written but I have a few other books that I paid for that will get read first. I have two by one author and if I like the first, I suppose I'll read the second quickly.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
For many, many years I was a shareware author. The number of downloads I got was entirely irrelevant; the only thing that mattered was the number of people who bought the product after downloading it. There are many people who will download something for the simple reason that it's free. Doesn't matter whether or not it's any good.

If you want to know whether or not you're any good as a writer, sell your books and then you'll see whether or not people place any value on them.

I'm afraid the number of downloads of a free book really is a completely meaningless figure.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Harry, make me feel better ;o)
Old 08-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm definitely not knocking your success in getting so many downloads. I would, however, strongly encourage you to set a price on your books, even if it's only $1. That way you'll see how many people really think that you're a writer worth reading, rather than merely acquiring "free stuff".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I agree, sell it for $1 instead of giving it away. With niche markets, price isn't really an issue, and books I am interested in enough to pay something for them always jump ahead of free books in the reading queue.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:27 PM   #8
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I happen to have a ton of free books that I have downloaded but have never read because my list of book to read is long and in constant change
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:55 PM   #9
mjhudston
All round good egg

The first story was very short anyway, but this other one is much longer, so a $1 or $1.50 may be a good figure.

Tags
erotica, gay, mjhudston, no confidence, writers block