Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-10-2018, 01:55 PM   #1
sirdave
sirdave began at the beginning.

Device: original Kindle, Kindle DX, Keyboard Kindle, Voyager, Oasis1
Why I Bought A Second Oasis 1

These days, all the attention is directed towards the Oasis 2 (2017), but I finally decided to buy a second Oasis 1 on EBay, one with 3G, rather than a new Oasis 2. In the end, the Oasis 2 benefits of a 7 inch screen and waterproofing were overridden by the poor battery life and less pocketability. The premise of a larger screen coupled with one of the smallest Kindle batteries escapes me.

On the other hand, IMO the Oasis 1 is one of the best Kindle designs ever. I am so impressed with the screen, the size (the main unit disappears in your pocket) and the overall battery life when connected to the cover.

While the Oasis 1 sometimes still appears on Amazon, it is usually in only one format and you don't see the 3G anymore. This is probably just residual stock. I don't recall any other Kindle model where Amazon dropped it so quickly. Especially one at the high end.

I'm not sure why Amazon dropped the Oasis 1 so quickly. Were sales relatively low because of the price or confusion of buyers over the original design with a battery cover and a small battery in the main unit? I don't know of any major structural defect that could account for it. Dropping it leaves a gap of a relatively tiny unit between the Voyage and the Oasis 2.
sirdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:54 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I think the battery cover was a put off for many customers, myself included.

I love my Oasis 2017. I don't care that I need to charge it every 4 days. I wanted the larger screen, but would not have bought it if the cover had a battery like the first one. I want a cover to stay put, I don't read without the cover.

The battery in the cover seemed gimmicky to me, and the added battery life that was promised didn't come to be.

My Oasis 2017 is the best Kindle I've had yet, and I started with the K2 which I loved, the little basic Kindle which I despised, and the 1st and 2nd Paperwhites. The only thing I don't care for, or need, are the buttons.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2018, 03:21 PM   #3
ShortNet
Connoisseur
ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (all flavors from 1 thru Oasis)
I have, like, and use both Oasis 1 & 2. The Oasis 2 lives in the living room while the Oasis 1 goes back and forth between work and home. They fulfill different niches. If my Oasis 1 died, heaven forbid, I would replace it with another Oasis 1. It is just the best for portability. If the Oasis 1 was unavailable, or only available in Wi-Fi, the semi-retired Voyager would have to step up into the portable mode. Oasis 2 is great for reading at home, but I wouldn't want to carry it around all day.

If I had to change anything about the Oasis 1 it would be to add the ability to charge separately instead of only via the Oasis. Then the extra battery could be charging while I continue to read.
ShortNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:30 PM   #4
sirdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNet View Post
I have, like, and use both Oasis 1 & 2. The Oasis 2 lives in the living room while the Oasis 1 goes back and forth between work and home. They fulfill different niches. If my Oasis 1 died, heaven forbid, I would replace it with another Oasis 1. It is just the best for portability. If the Oasis 1 was unavailable, or only available in Wi-Fi, the semi-retired Voyager would have to step up into the portable mode. Oasis 2 is great for reading at home, but I wouldn't want to carry it around all day.

If I had to change anything about the Oasis 1 it would be to add the ability to charge separately instead of only via the Oasis. Then the extra battery could be charging while I continue to read.
I agree that the Oasis 1 & 2 play 2 different useful roles which is another reason I can't understand why the Oasis 1 was dropped. My biggest issue with the Oasis 2 is the small battery, not the overall design.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:34 PM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I think the battery cover was a put off for many customers, myself included.

I love my Oasis 2017. I don't care that I need to charge it every 4 days. I wanted the larger screen, but would not have bought it if the cover had a battery like the first one. I want a cover to stay put, I don't read without the cover.

The battery in the cover seemed gimmicky to me, and the added battery life that was promised didn't come to be.

My Oasis 2017 is the best Kindle I've had yet, and I started with the K2 which I loved, the little basic Kindle which I despised, and the 1st and 2nd Paperwhites. The only thing I don't care for, or need, are the buttons.
How much Reading Hours did you get over the 4 days?
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2018, 08:42 PM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
I've no idea. I open the cover numerous times over the course of a day, and read for a few minutes or more. I also have the light all the way up during the day, and only turn it down when reading in a dark bedroom. I use a large font, and read fast so lots of page turns.

I also switch hands a lot, so the screen flips many times also in any given day.

I would guess 10-12 hours tops. I know the battery life chomps, but I love it anyway. I have micro usb cables in two easily accessible areas so plugging it in is no challenge.

I plug it in when the battery gets to 15% or so.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:58 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hummm
Old 04-11-2018, 09:46 PM   #8
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdave View Post
These days, all the attention is directed towards the Oasis 2 (2017), but I finally decided to buy a second Oasis 1 on EBay, one with 3G, rather than a new Oasis 2. In the end, the Oasis 2 benefits of a 7 inch screen and waterproofing were overridden by the poor battery life and less pocketability. The premise of a larger screen coupled with one of the smallest Kindle batteries escapes me.

On the other hand, IMO the Oasis 1 is one of the best Kindle designs ever. I am so impressed with the screen, the size (the main unit disappears in your pocket) and the overall battery life when connected to the cover.

While the Oasis 1 sometimes still appears on Amazon, it is usually in only one format and you don't see the 3G anymore. This is probably just residual stock. I don't recall any other Kindle model where Amazon dropped it so quickly. Especially one at the high end.

I'm not sure why Amazon dropped the Oasis 1 so quickly. Were sales relatively low because of the price or confusion of buyers over the original design with a battery cover and a small battery in the main unit? I don't know of any major structural defect that could account for it. Dropping it leaves a gap of a relatively tiny unit between the Voyage and the Oasis 2.

I regret selling my Oasis 1. I got 4x more battery life. I wonder if Amazon can design a battery cover for the Oasis 2? I know its missing the contacts in the back but maybe a fintie charging cover that has a port to snap into the charging hole or what ever its called. Just an idea. Its beyond me why they did not do a charging cover. Also Amazon should have been more realistic in the battery life. Light level 10 works in some light conditions like natural sunlight but in most you kinda need to up it
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:49 PM   #9
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
I charge about every 4 days and i am a light reader. 30 minutes to 45 minutes on workdays an hour or 2 on my off days
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:45 PM   #10
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Fortunately I kept my oasis 1, I was going to trade it in but decided against it at the last minute. I mostly use the O2 but pull out the O1 at work during lunch. In looking at the battery size specs listed on Wikipedia the O1 has second largest battery capacity (including cover) with the kindle keyboard back in the day being the biggest (1750 vs 1535 mAh).
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:08 PM   #11
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I regret selling my Oasis 1. I got 4x more battery life. I wonder if Amazon can design a battery cover for the Oasis 2? I know its missing the contacts in the back but maybe a fintie charging cover that has a port to snap into the charging hole or what ever its called. Just an idea. Its beyond me why they did not do a charging cover. Also Amazon should have been more realistic in the battery life. Light level 10 works in some light conditions like natural sunlight but in most you kinda need to up it
Buy a Battery Boost.... I get mine a Best Buy for $8
Old 04-13-2018, 02:09 PM   #12
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I charge about every 4 days and i am a light reader. 30 minutes to 45 minutes on workdays an hour or 2 on my off days
2-4 hours... not much at all
Old 04-13-2018, 03:23 PM   #13
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I have two Paperwhites. I bought a Voyage and hated it so it belongs to a university student now. I skipped the Oasis 1 because I didn't like the battery case, don't like bu ttons, and didn't think it was worth the price. I did order an Oasis 2 to take a look. It wouldn't fit in my pockets as do my Paperwhites and when I learned Amazon did not have a protective case for the Oasis 2 I returned it with no regrets.

I'm happily reading on my Paperwhites. I alternate them an always have a fully charged Paperwhite waiting to take over.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:01 PM   #14
sirdave

I understand people being a little wary of a battery case (I was at first). After all, it was a totally new concept. But, I see now how ingenious the design is.

Look at the challenge there was to provide the tiniest 6" ereader ever, comparable or smaller than the few previous (non-Kindle) 5" ereaders, but with excellent battery life. If you put the full battery in the main unit, then it will be bigger and heavier and you will still need a cover which will add more to the size.

So, give the buyer a choice: a small main unit with a day or two of several hours of reading (6 or more depending on brightness, wifi etc.) and/or add a compact, but very protective cover with a larger charging battery. It is so easy to place the main unit in the cover -it just snaps in the right place without having to carefully find the right place. Very well designed! It is so easy to read it with the cover & even more-so without and both ways are very pocketable.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:53 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What most don’t realize is that with the smaller capacity battery in the KO1, it will die sooner then the battery of the PW3 or Voyage because it needs to be charged more often. That means you have to replace the battery if possible or buy a new Reader sooner than you should have to.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote