Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-04-2018, 02:35 AM   #16
ZedSahrif
ZedSahrif began at the beginning.

Device: onyx N96, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
I would go with n96ml+ as it has 1gb of ram (and frontlight). Though it doesn’t have capacitive touch.

Also I think the + model is the one to get as apparently its carta screen has a faster response.

Yup, me too, I can’t wait to stop using my iPad.
I dont mind the not having the front light, I have used kindle 3 for an year now and i am satisfied without the option. also for me the screen quality of N96 compared with K3 is a lot. I dont know if Carta will seem much of a jump for me.
ZedSahrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:39 AM   #17
gimble
Connoisseur
gimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle, Boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedSahrif View Post
is Carta+ worth a buy just because of Carta screen and 1G ram?
If both devices are available at the same price AND in similar condition, then the carta model is the better option. Can't you ask the seller in Shanghai to send some high res pics before you decide to travel?

The most important factor is for you to decide based on your primary usage scenario. If you have the opportunity, take a representative sample of your pdf documents and check them out on the device(s). Try opening multiple files, make notes/annotations in each, switch between them... basically replicate how you intend to use and evaluate accordingly.

If you don't really care too much about using other android apps & browsing, the hardware differences between N96 and N96 carta will come into play only if you deal with very large pdf files.

If the primary use experience works out well, then the specific differences between these models are less relevant.

Last edited by gimble; 04-04-2018 at 07:43 AM.
gimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2018, 01:24 PM   #18
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
I read that the carta screen responds faster in terms of latency, which seems important, given the familiar slowness of eink screens. Also 512mb of ram for android?

As noted above, the n96+ also has a carta screen.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:47 PM   #19
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Is the N96+ also called Chronos? Here is the description of the Chronos which has 512mb of ram, Android 4.2 and font light. The screen is 150 dpi. The SNOW field means partial screen update which is said to eliminate the need for full refresh.

ONYX BOOX Chronos is a device with the 9,7" E Ink Carta screen with the MOON Light system, touch control and the SNOW Field function. The given model can be the perfect choice for those who often have to read academic or technical literature. Its large and comfortable for the eyes display with lighting, a powerful processor in combination with 512 MB of RAM and 8 GB of internal memory, and touch control are optimal tools for reading PDF and DjVu files. A built-in Wi-Fi module allows one to use the device for full Internet browsing and pre-installed Google Play greatly expands its functionality. Its casing is made of magnesium aluminum alloy which protects the device when using.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:33 PM   #20
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Is the N96+ also called Chronos?
It does look like a rebranding. It costs £349 from a uk site.

It says it has a dual core cpu.
Advert
Old 04-06-2018, 08:02 AM   #21
Waiting4somethin
Addict

Quote:
It says it has a dual core cpu.
So after some reading, I think this makes it an upgraded cpu from n96 series, stuck as it is with the same clock rate, and it also has a disappointing 512mb of ram.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:25 AM   #22
gimble
Connoisseur
gimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
So after some reading, I think this makes it an upgraded cpu from n96 series, stuck as it is with the same clock rate, and it also has a disappointing 512mb of ram.
Afaik, none of the eink devices except Note and Max2 have particularly impressive specs. Still, the N series is significantly better than the older models.

I believe the hardware situation is partly due to the monopoly eink has in this space with no competitive equivalent technologies in production.

For example, eink (the company) charges $250 for just the 9.7 inch display unit -> https://shopkits.eink.com/product/9-...play-ed097tc2/

The wholesale cost is likely to be cheaper, but there isn't much negotiation power for companies like Onyx unless there is an alternative supplier they can go to. So, the rest of the hardware gets squeezed down to maintain some margin, given the sale price.

Last edited by gimble; 04-06-2018 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 04-09-2018, 03:43 AM   #23
ZedSahrif

Finally bought N96 Carta+

thanks for the support people. I finally have the device .
Its N96 Carta+ with capacitive touch, 16 gigs storage and Android 4.0.4.
I settled for this version because of the price I was getting for a used piece.

I would like to know how can I know the remaining warranty period left on this device. Can I check back with Onyx official customer services here in China? Do we need the piece serial number thats imprinted on the back?
Old 04-09-2018, 04:36 AM   #24
Waiting4somethin
Addict

Quote:

thanks for the support people. I finally have the device .
Its N96 Carta+ with capacitive touch, 16 gigs storage and Android 4.0.4.
I settled for this version because of the price I was getting for a used piece.

I would like to know how can I know the remaining warranty period left on this device. Can I check back with Onyx official customer services here in China? Do we need the piece serial number thats imprinted on the back?
I just got the n96ml+. Mine came with a warranty card so I don't know. In genereal, I think there is one year warranty, then 2 years warranty with a fee.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:06 PM   #25
ZedSahrif

Quote:
I just got the n96ml+. Mine came with a warranty card so I don't know. In genereal, I think there is one year warranty, then 2 years warranty with a fee.
whats the difference between these 2 models?
Old 04-10-2018, 09:07 PM   #26
ZedSahrif

The battery seems to run out on standby even when the WiFi is off, does anyone else have that issue?
Old 04-11-2018, 10:13 AM   #27
gimble
Connoisseur

Quote:
ml+ has front light but no touchscreen, while carta+ has touchscreen but no front light.

Quote:
The battery seems to run out on standby even when the WiFi is off, does anyone else have that issue?
That shouldn't happen. Do you have bluetooth on? Try diagnostics using a battery monitor app.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:58 AM   #28
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
See Boox N96 on our wiki for a full description.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:14 PM   #29
ZedSahrif

Upgrading to 4.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
See Boox N96 on our wiki for a full description.

Dale
so from the wiki my model is simple N96. So which version should I download from this website?
https://ereader.store/en/content/6-software-updates
the N96 DT?
Anyone has upgraded to 4.4 and whats the word on it?
Thanks
Old 04-14-2018, 01:09 PM   #30
gimble
Connoisseur

Quote:
so from the wiki my model is simple N96. So which version should I download from this website?
https://ereader.store/en/content/6-software-updates
the N96 DT?
Anyone has upgraded to 4.4 and whats the word on it?
Thanks
What does it say on the back of your device? The N96 DT being referred to on the site is , I suspect "dual touch", which is the version that has capacitive touch as well as stylus input but no frontlight.

Last edited by gimble; 04-14-2018 at 01:22 PM. Reason: typos