Old 02-09-2018, 09:43 PM   #121
johnz
johnz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi N289
Image for N289 please. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2018, 12:54 AM   #122
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
PM sent.
Advert
Old 02-11-2018, 05:37 PM   #123
johnz

Thanks! So, I got the Kobo Wifi open and removed the SD card. But when I go to write the image (using Disk Image Writer on Ubuntu), it says the image is 10 MB bigger than the card. Any ideas? I guess I could go get a bigger mini-SD card.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:26 PM   #124
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnz View Post
Thanks! So, I got the Kobo Wifi open and removed the SD card. But when I go to write the image (using Disk Image Writer on Ubuntu), it says the image is 10 MB bigger than the card. Any ideas? I guess I could go get a bigger mini-SD card.
Sorry, I don't know. It might be something in the options when writing the image as other people have had the same issues but managed to get it working.

You should be able to use a 4GB card, but I'm not sure about larger than that. The WiFi is old enough it might not support anything bigger.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:17 PM   #125
johnz

dd complained about out of space, but did copy everything. For anyone interested, I used this command:
sudo dd if=Kobo_N289.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M

Booted up fine. Copied some PDFs onto it, powered off, then back on, and they're still showing up. Put it all back together. Looks like I'm back in business.

Thanks again!
Advert
Old 03-02-2018, 11:31 AM   #126
Maik
Maik began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO N289
Hello! Could you please PM me image for N289? Thanks a lot.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:36 PM   #127
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:46 AM   #128
Maik

Hello.

Thank you very much. However I couldn't get to fix it yet, sorry.
I followed the matching steps on your Glo memory update guide with no success. I don't intend to upgrade the internal sd tough, just flash the original image to get the device working correctly again.

Any further help would be really appreciated. Here's what happened:

1. The error: empty books lists on Kobo. eReader recognized by Windows (writing files working too). Frequent "updating the software of your eReader" message. Calibre doesn't recognize it.

2. The Kobo storage was accidentally formatted, so not even .kobo folder on it.

3. Used as per your instructions USB Duplicator Image Writer to install the image you kindly provided. The image is 2gb and my N289 is just 1gb. When writing image It says "The source image is larger than size of the removable device. If you continue, the image will be truncated".

4. This process leaves the Kobo N289 as follows

Notice the KoboeReader partition is just empty. I'd swear that before it started failing, it had some system files and this .kobo folder. And it was a full single 1.09 gb partition instead of a smaller due to the other two root/recovery parts that creates your image.

Just for trying, I wrote the 2gb image provided to a 2gb SD too to see what happened, so no image larger than size message appeared. The KoboeReader partition was left empty too after the proccess. USB Duplicator Image Writer gave no errors on the process.

5. After these steps, the Kobo eReader behaves as it did when started failing: empty book list on device and no files on the KoboeReader partition. If I add an ebook manually, it writes it on the partition, but doesn't show on the book list of the device. And Calibre just can't see the device.

Thanks for your help

Last edited by Maik; 03-04-2018 at 07:27 AM. Reason: current state
Old 03-04-2018, 09:29 AM   #129
johnz

The symptoms you describe of constantly "updating the software" and no books recognized, even after writing them, and not recognized by Calibre, are exactly what I went through. This seems to be caused by a problem in the Kobo software.

I believe you have to take the SD card out to reload it. There are multiple partitions on the SD card (as you also see in the image), and when it's in the Kobo and connected to a computer, the Kobo only shows the data partition to the computer. I don't recall if the data partition is empty after reloading, but on first restart after re-inserting the SD card, the Kobo goes through some process to initialize things, and the .kobo folder is definitely there on the data partition after it completes. After I checked that, and wrote a book, restarted Kobo (without the "updating" message), reconnecting and still seeing the book, I re-assembled.

It's very easy to open up the N289. Just need to slip something between the top and bottom shells to gently pop the plastic tabs that hold them together. Here's a video of a guy doing it completely by hand (no tools), but that didn't work for me, as the bezel was a little "sticky" against the screen, so I slid a thin piece of metal between the pieces (I also heard of someone describing same process, using a plastic card as the pry tool).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nduY8RT1kVQ

Good luck!
Old 03-04-2018, 01:13 PM   #130
Maik

Hi again!

Another resurrected Kobo Wifi
Removing the miniSD on the board and working directly on it did the trick.

Thank you guys
Old 04-17-2018, 02:49 PM   #131
oxabos
oxabos began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi
Hello dear davidfor ! Could you please PM me image for N289?
Thanks you a lot.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:41 PM   #132
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent in response to another post.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:22 PM   #133
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Thread locked. Please go here.
Closed Thread

Tags
n647 firmware requested