Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-23-2018, 02:55 PM   #1
purplegreendave
purplegreendave began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
New Kindle Paperwhite/Calibre user, few questions

Hi, I just got a new Kindle Paperwhite. I set Calibre up with this guide, but it's too old for me to post some follow up questions.

If I want to download a book, stick it in calibre and then sync it to my kindle, is it better to download epub or mobi? I've done some reading, here and here have me leaning towards epub being the better format, however I'm wary of converting everything. Would it be better to have original/native mobi files or is converting epub to azw3 not that big a deal?

Can I force a match on Goodreads? I just added an epub book to Calibre. Once I hit Download metadata and covers I guess it changed the edition because the cover changed, and the title went from Colour to Color. I prefer the original cover and UK English title (which Goodreads has under Other Editions).

Lastly, when I try to click Email to ___@kindle.com I get a popup asking me if I want to convert it to MOBI, even if I pre-convert it to AZW3 manually. If I connect the kindle to my computer by cable and hit Send to Device it converts to AZW3 on the fly (I had to move azw3 to the top of available formats for this to happen). Am I better off just syncing it by cable all the time if email can't support azw3? Alternatively, if I decide I'm going to email the mobi files would I be better off just downloading them as mobi files in the first place and skipping the conversion process?
purplegreendave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:20 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
There are a lot of threads on MobileRead dealing with the various Kindle formats and the pros and cons of using them. Here is a brief summary:

MOBI - Old Kindle format with limited text formatting. MOBI may also refer to a file that combines the old MOBI format with the newer KF8 in a single file. Either variant can be emailed to a Kindle via your Amazon account. Emailing the combined format will result in AZW3 (KF8) being delivered to your Kindle.

AZW3 (KF8) - Format with features equivalent to EPUB 2. Must be sideloaded via USB, not emailed.

KFX - The format delivered to your Kindle for most books purchased from Amazon. Supports "Enhanced Typesetting" for better readability.

There are other issues, such as whether a book is marked as a Book (EBOK) or Personal Document (PDOC), whether or not a cover image thumbnail is available, and syncing reading position and notes between multiple reading devices/apps.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:23 AM   #3
Lizj1
Enthusiast
Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, Kindle 3, Kobo H20, Oasis 2
On the metadata thing, I hit Configure Metadata, and deselected author and title. That way those fields get left alone when metadata downloads.

If you download metadata for one book at a time (from within the edit metadata window), you can choose which edition and/or source to use. You can also choose which of the available covers to use.

Hope this helps,

Liz
Lizj1 is offline   Reply With Quote