Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-25-2020, 10:57 AM   #1771
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelo86 View Post
Greetings to all the Forum! Clara HD owner here..
This is my first post here..
Months ago, I used the automatic store on connection of Kobo Utilities plugin with my Clara HD with no problems.
Then it happened to me that the device database got corrupted (wouldn't boot, needed to hard reset). I didn't have a backup so I had to lose all bookmarks and annotations made so far. Also I lost the entire Calibre data, with all saved columns (infos)..
Those were independent weren't they? I can't think of a way that corrupting the database on the device would affect your calibre data.
Quote:
Today, after some time without reconfiguring all Calibre plugins, I decided to set up all again.
Kobo Utilities works as intended, the automatic device backup works fine, but I'm not able to find a way to do the automatic bookmarks save. I can only save the bookmarks manually, only for the selected books, and only if I set the work to be done not in background.
The configuration dialog has the options to automatically do the reading status fetch. And the help should explain what to do.

The manual method does only work on the selected books. But, there is no reason it shouldn't run in the background. Are you getting an error when you try that?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 11:29 AM   #1772
zelo86
zelo86 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Libra H2o
Thanks davidfor for the quick reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Those were independent weren't they?
Yesss.... It was my fault! I deleted accidentally the exported data of my Calibre library and the library itself.. I should cut my fingers..
And I'm not a computer noob, it was really a shock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Are you getting an error when you try that?
Nope. No errors, I see that when the dialog result box appears, the plugin seem to get the infos correctly. It displays the correct percentage and last read date of the ebook from the e-reader. But in the current percentage and read date of Calibre's library there's no data, it's blank. It seems to me that the plugin in my PC can't get that info to read/write.
zelo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 11:53 AM   #1773
zelo86

I found the culprit: in the settings, device tab of the plugin there was a duplicated Kobo Clara HD entry. After deleting the unwanted one all works normally.
Again, thanks for the support and time. :-)
Old 04-26-2020, 02:28 AM   #1774
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelo86 View Post
I found the culprit: in the settings, device tab of the plugin there was a duplicated Kobo Clara HD entry. After deleting the unwanted one all works normally.
Again, thanks for the support and time. :-)
That's something I always forget about. The plugin uses an id that is in the "driveinfo.calibre" file that calibre creates the first time it sees the device. If you remove it or do a factory reset of the device, it will be seen as a different device. It isn't ideal, but, I haven't found a satisfactory alternative.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:47 AM   #1775
zelo86

Thanks for the explanation and help.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:46 AM   #1776
JDesat
Connoisseur
JDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD
I'm sure this question has been asked and answered before, but I can't find it with the search and I don't want to slog through over 100 forum pages hoping it's here...

I recently added Kobo Utilities (my Glo HD micro-usb port wasn't working well, so I bought a Clara HD) I made the columns 'current reading location' and 'percent read' and saved the info into my calibre library (though I don't see anything in the 'current reading location' column for some reason). I added the books that were on my Glo to my new Clara and then updated the bookmarks/read info. Now the books show on my Clara as x% read, but when I open them they are all at the title page, not where they should be...

What did I do wrong, and how can I fix it?

EDIT: Ok... I don't know what happened the first time. I added the 'date' column and suddenly the 'reading location' column filled in when I next plugged my Glo in, so now I've transferred that to the Clara and it's working... even if all the books are out of order in general from the order I put them on the Glo, but I don't think there's a fix for that.

Last edited by JDesat; 04-27-2020 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Solved the problem.
JDesat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 04:07 AM   #1777
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDesat View Post
I'm sure this question has been asked and answered before, but I can't find it with the search and I don't want to slog through over 100 forum pages hoping it's here...

I recently added Kobo Utilities (my Glo HD micro-usb port wasn't working well, so I bought a Clara HD)
That's a much better excuse than any I have used to upgrade my ereaders
Quote:
I made the columns 'current reading location' and 'percent read' and saved the info into my calibre library (though I don't see anything in the 'current reading location' column for some reason). I added the books that were on my Glo to my new Clara and then updated the bookmarks/read info. Now the books show on my Clara as x% read, but when I open them they are all at the title page, not where they should be...

What did I do wrong, and how can I fix it?

EDIT: Ok... I don't know what happened the first time. I added the 'date' column and suddenly the 'reading location' column filled in when I next plugged my Glo in,
Did you mean that you only configure the reading location reading location configure and it didn't work? They should be independent. But, I won't be that surprised if there is a dependency. I'll check the code.
Quote:
so now I've transferred that to the Clara and it's working... even if all the books are out of order in general from the order I put them on the Glo, but I don't think there's a fix for that.
There isn't an exact fix. The plugin also has a function to update metadata in the database on the device. One of the things it can update is the "Date added" field. This is used for sorting on the device. The plugin can set this to one of the standard dates in calibre (Date, modified or published). That might get it close to the sorting you want. And, by a coincidence, I was working on the function on the weekend to allow sorting by any date custom columns and the file timestamp of the book on the device. Neither of those are probably going to help, but, they increase the options. '
Old 04-27-2020, 11:19 AM   #1778
JDesat
Connoisseur
JDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beauty

I'm not sure what you mean with 'configure reading location reading location configure', but I think I had it set up right since I didn't change anything when I added the Last Read/Date column. The only thing I can think of is that I had the Reading Location column hidden before then (the directions/FAQ epub said to hide it so I did, but it doesn't bother me where it is now so I'm leaving it unhidden for now).

As for the Date Added, I'm not quite sure what you mean... I've got the 'Last Read' column now but as far as I can tell the dates there didn't seem to do much when transferring to the Clara. Is this a function of a column, or a separate thing the plugin can do? And would changing them to 'Date modified' work then?
Old 04-27-2020, 11:46 AM   #1779
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDesat View Post
As for the Date Added, I'm not quite sure what you mean... I've got the 'Last Read' column now but as far as I can tell the dates there didn't seem to do much when transferring to the Clara. Is this a function of a column, or a separate thing the plugin can do? And would changing them to 'Date modified' work then?
You said the books weren't in the same order as on the old device. By that, you were probably referring to the "Recent" or "Date added" sort. The latter is basically when the books were added to the device and then imported. If you have sent all the books to the device at the same time they will all have the same "Date added". And if you sort by "Date added", they will be in reverse title order (roughly).

The "Recent" sort is a combination of the last read date and the date added. If there is a last read date, it will use the latter of this and the date added. Again the books won't be in the same order as on the old device.

If you want to change the "Date added" sort, and hence the "Recent" sort, the plugin can directly set the date in the database for the books. Using the "Date" column from calibre generally gives me a good order. That is the order I added the books to calibre and hence roughly the order that I would have sent them to the device.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:51 AM   #1780
JDesat
Connoisseur

Ok... I think I understand what you mean. The only thing I'm having a problem with is finding where the plugin can change the date from when I originally added them to Calibre's 'date' column... putting them in that order WOULD be a lot better, I just don't know how to do it. I've looked through the options, but I can't see how.

EDIT: I think I found it... there's a drop down in the 'update metadata on device' options! I'll try that.

EDIT the Second: I tried that, sent the metadata to the device, but it didn't change the order they showed up in under Sort: Recent.

Last edited by JDesat; 04-27-2020 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Found an option.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:33 AM   #1781
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
problem after updating Kobo Utilities and Touch extended

I have this error message after connecting the Forma:
Spoiler:
calibre, version 4.15.0
ERREUR : Erreur: Erreur pendant la communication avec le périphérique

'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0x92 in position 42: invalid start byte

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 90, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 513, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1599, in books
File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.device.driver" , line 113, in settings
File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.common", line 90, in print_formatted_log
File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.common", line 79, in _tag_args
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0x92 in position 42: invalid start byte

I tried disconnecting the device and closing Calibre, but it repeated after trying again. Same thing with the Libra.

Same thing too when I clicked on the Kobo touch extended link in Calibre:
Spoiler:
calibre, version 4.15.0
ERREUR : Exception non gérée: <b>UnicodeDecodeError</b>:'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0x92 in position 42: invalid start byte

calibre 4.15 Portable embedded-python: True is64bit: False
Windows-10-10.0.18362-SP0 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '10', '10.0.18362')
Python 2.7.16+
Windows: ('10', '10.0.18362', 'SP0', u'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: fr
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (6, 5, 5) && Kindle and Mobipocket DeDRM (0, 4, 5) && EpubMerge (2, 9, 0) && Obok DeDRM (6, 5, 4) && EpubSplit (2, 9, 0) && KindleUnpack - The Plugin (0, 82, 1) && Reading List (1, 6, 7) && Quality Check (1, 9, 11) && Generate Cover (1, 5, 22) && KePub Output (3, 2, 2) && Fichier de sortie KePub (2, 3, 3) && Count Pages (1, 9, 0) && Kobo Utilities (2, 11, 0) && Open With (1, 5, 12) && Modify ePub (1, 4, 1) && KoboTouchExtended (3, 2, 2)
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\preferences\plugins.py", line 292, in double_clicked
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\preferences\plugins.py", line 373, in modify_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\__init__.py", line 157, in do_user_config
File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.device.driver" , line 128, in config_widget
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 3251, in config_widget
File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.common", line 90, in print_formatted_log
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0x92 in position 42: invalid start byte

Edit: by the way, it would be very useful to be able to return to a previous version of a plugin when there is a problem with the most recent one.

Last edited by anacreon; 05-11-2020 at 05:37 AM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:12 AM   #1782
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I have this error message after connecting the Forma:
Spoiler:
calibre, version 4.15.0
ERREUR : Erreur: Erreur pendant la communication avec le périphérique

'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0x92 in position 42: invalid start byte

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 90, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 513, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1599, in books

I tried disconnecting the device and closing Calibre, but it repeated after trying again. Same thing with the Libra.

Same thing too when I clicked on the Kobo touch extended link in Calibre:
Spoiler:
calibre, version 4.15.0
ERREUR : Exception non gérée: <b>UnicodeDecodeError</b>:'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0x92 in position 42: invalid start byte

calibre 4.15 Portable embedded-python: True is64bit: False
Windows-10-10.0.18362-SP0 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '10', '10.0.18362')
Python 2.7.16+
Windows: ('10', '10.0.18362', 'SP0', u'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: fr
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (6, 5, 5) && Kindle and Mobipocket DeDRM (0, 4, 5) && EpubMerge (2, 9, 0) && Obok DeDRM (6, 5, 4) && EpubSplit (2, 9, 0) && KindleUnpack - The Plugin (0, 82, 1) && Reading List (1, 6, 7) && Quality Check (1, 9, 11) && Generate Cover (1, 5, 22) && KePub Output (3, 2, 2) && Fichier de sortie KePub (2, 3, 3) && Count Pages (1, 9, 0) && Kobo Utilities (2, 11, 0) && Open With (1, 5, 12) && Modify ePub (1, 4, 1) && KoboTouchExtended (3, 2, 2)
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\preferences\plugins.py", line 292, in double_clicked
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\preferences\plugins.py", line 373, in modify_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\__init__.py", line 157, in do_user_config
File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.device.driver" , line 128, in config_widget
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 3251, in config_widget

Edit: by the way, it would be very useful to be able to return to a previous version of a plugin when there is a problem with the most recent one.
You first post for this was in the correct place. That is the KoboTouchExtended drvier.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:42 AM   #1783
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Working on a fix for that now, but I may need a bit just because of life. Your original post was in the right place, I'll post an updated package there for testing before publishing an update. I forgot all about Python 2 being dumb with non-ASCII characters in Windows…

Quote:
it would be very useful to be able to return to a previous version of a plugin when there is a problem with the most recent one
It would be. That's a separate feature request for calibre itself though.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:39 PM   #1784
junior76
junior76 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ClaraHD 2x and Kobo Glo Hd 2x
Question Authors with comma, unexpected behavior

Dear,

I use 4 devices (2 Kobo Glo HD v4.15.12920 and 2 Kobo Clara HD v4.20.14622) with the same unexpected behavior.

When I fill-in the "Authors" field in Calibre like this :
  • Name, FirstName (same that the field "AuthorSort", see below the picture with the example in Calibre)
in the Readers (Clara or Glo) one author become 2 authors.

I don't know how resolve this issue. It's perhaps a "bug" during the transfer or in the Kobo Firmware. Could you help me ?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture du 2020-05-19 23-12-32.png
Views:	635
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	179364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture du 2020-05-19 23-31-18.png
Views:	522
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	179365  

Last edited by junior76; 05-19-2020 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Changing image size (reduce from 918 px to 600px)
junior76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:44 PM   #1785
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior76 View Post
Dear,

I use 4 devices (2 Kobo Glo HD v4.15.12920 and 2 Kobo Clara HD v4.20.14622) with the same unexpected behavior.

When I fill-in the "Authors" field in Calibre like this :
  • Name, FirstName (same that the field "AuthorSort", see below the picture with the example in Calibre)
in the Readers (Clara or Glo) one author become 2 authors.

I don't know how resolve this issue. It's perhaps a "bug" during the transfer or in the Kobo Firmware. Could you help me ?

Thanks in advance.
The problem is the comma in the author field. It's taken as two authors. You want to put in the author as Christophe Mauri.

You can can select Authors and sort by last name or first name.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, kobo utilities