Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #481
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieEatsYou View Post
the full-cast version?
It was narrated by a cast, but funnily enough, a completely different list apart from the author, Max Brooks.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #482
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Charles Stross just put up a short story on his blog called "Bit Rot" set in his Saturns Children universe.

In his own words, it's
Spoiler:
"a hard SF story about CANNIBAL ROBOT ZOMBIES IN SPAAAACE!"
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #483
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Anybody has read Manuel Loureiro's zombie trilogy? Any good?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:32 AM   #484
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Quote:
And here I thought I would ignite a firestorm of intense discussion of World War Z. What's the matter everyone? Shambler got your tongue?

;-)
I have finished it now, and have to admit I was wrong. I did enjoy it. It was just not what I like to read, so took a while for me to warm to it. I still have no idea how they can make a movie along the lines of what I have seen for the trailers. I think a lot of people will wonder just what happened.

I think my only annoyance at the book is that the zombie war happened in a world that had never heard of zombies.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:17 AM   #485
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
I have finished it now, and have to admit I was wrong. I did enjoy it. It was just not what I like to read, so took a while for me to warm to it. I still have no idea how they can make a movie along the lines of what I have seen for the trailers. I think a lot of people will wonder just what happened.

I think my only annoyance at the book is that the zombie war happened in a world that had never heard of zombies.

applesauce
Apparently the movie has very little to do with the book. A character name and the title is about it. Or so I hear anyways.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #486
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie
ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7" & 8.9"/Sony PRS 950/Entourage eDGe/Acer A500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
Apparently the movie has very little to do with the book. A character name and the title is about it. Or so I hear anyways.
Applesauce. What he said.

The book would have to be a series or mini-series at least. The movie could be considered an "unrecorded" chapter in Brooks's book I suppose.
ZombieEatsYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:21 AM   #487
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie
ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Anybody has read Manuel Loureiro's zombie trilogy? Any good?
I read the first one and enjoyed it greatly. Definately not an "American" zombie tale which made it interesting.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #488
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
I read the first one and enjoyed it greatly. Definately not an "American" zombie tale which made it interesting.
Thanks, I'll put those on my TBR.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #489
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I am currently reading Wold War Z and I am enjoying it. It's different in style to the average book and I think that's what sets it apart.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-18-2013 at 01:38 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #490
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
the full-cast version?
The audio edition you've linked to is an abridged edition. I've found a fuller cast Director's Cut at the library on CD. I've put a reserve on it. I'll probably finish the book before listening to it.

Quote:
WORLD WAR Z: THE COMPLETE EDITION is a new recording of Max Brooks bestselling novel, "World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War, " featuring 21 additional Hollywood A-list actors and sci-fi fan favorites performing stories not included in the original edition. New narrators include Academy Award(R)-winning director, Martin Scorsese, "Spiderman "star Alfred Molina, "The""Walking Dead" creator Frank Darabont, rapper Common, "Firefly "star Nathan Fillion, "Shaun of the Dead"s Simon Pegg, and members of the casts of "Star Trek," "Battlestar Galactica," "Heroes" and more Max Brooks will be reprising his role as The Interviewer. The original abridged edition, released in 2006, won an Audie Award for Best Multi-Voiced Performance. Original cast members include Alan Alda, Mark Hamill, Carl & Rob Reiner, and John Turturro. In this new classic of apocalyptic fiction that feels all too real, the Zombie War came unthinkably close to eradicating humanity. The documentary-style oral history records the testimony of men, women, and sometimes children who came face-to-face with the living, or at least the undead, hell of that dreadful time. Featuring five more hours of previously unrecorded content, this full-cast recording is read by F. Murray Abraham, Alan Alda, Rene Auberjonois, Becky Ann Baker, Dennis Boutsikaris, Bruce Boxleitner, Max Brooks, Mel Brooks, Nicki Clyne, Common, Denise Crosby, Frank Darabont, Dean Edwards, Mark Hamill, Nathan Fillion, Maz Jobrani, Frank Kamai, Michelle Kholos, John McElroy, Ade MCormack, Alfred Molina, Parminder Nagra, Ajay Naidu, Masi Oka, Steve Park, Kal Penn, Simon Pegg, Jurgen Prochnow, Carl Reiner, Rob Reiner, Henry Rollins, Jeri Ryan, Jay O. Sanders, Martin Scorsese, Paul Sorvino, David Ogden Stiers, Brian Tee, John Turturro, Eamonn Walker, Ric Young, Waleed Zuaiter.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-18-2013 at 01:39 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:27 AM   #491
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Just finished The First Days (As the World Dies, #1) Rhiannon Frater. I loved it, very odd thinking here but it reminded me of The Walking dead. I also love adore the fact that in this reality zombie books and movies existed.
She is a really good story teller, and again it surprised me so much that I enjoyed a book written from a womans point of view for the most part. I also have to admit I was hooked on it last night and read until 1am. Horrible sleep after LOL I had not felt the book bothered me while reading it, I love horror, but it must have played on my mind while I slept.
Well worth a read and the other 5 books are now on my must read next month list.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #492
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie

Agreed. Frater's zombie trilogy is excellent. Her vampire series, Pretty as she dies, is also very good.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #493
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie

C. Dulaney's third book, Roads Less Traveled: Shades of Grey, was just released.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #494
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie

Quote:
C. Dulaney's third book, Roads Less Traveled: Shades of Grey, was just released.
And done. I liked the series; female protagonists are rare in the zombie world. All of the good guys are likeable and I hope I have people like that by my side when the dead rise.

On the other hand, the series lacked a good antagonist (excepting the zombies). Dulaney had a good candidate in a prison warden, but made little use of him in the last of the trilogy.

Another minor beef was that while character and group dynamics were interesting and emotionally investing, it was mainly due to characters a). Keeping secrets. b). Being profound dullards.

I kept mentally screaming at them: "you've fought together for a year and you're afraid to tell them about this or that minor weakness?" Or, "It's freaking obvious! Quit writing your characters as idiots."

Still, the fact that I was screaming at them demonstrates how much I liked Kasey, Mia, Jake, Mike, and John.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #495
zybernav
zybernav began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook mini
If you like different interpretations or ideas

I suggest 2 books
1. Star Wars: Death Trooper - An idea of mashing up between classic space opera and zombies genre
2. I, Zombie by Hugh Howey - telling stories of zombies from the opposite points of view, inside the infected ones.
zybernav is offline   Reply With Quote