Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-29-2017, 09:35 AM   #31
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Amazon
Mobileread

To go anywhere else is simply.....INSANE!

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:06 AM   #32
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Oh I download and de-DRM them all, just don't see the need for the extra hassle of having Amazon software installed as well as Adobe.
I buy ebooks from amazon and don't have software from amazon. adobe, microsoft, or apple installed on my computer.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2017, 12:17 PM   #33
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Kobo & Gutenberg, mostly. I've bought a couple of Kindle books from Amazon, but mostly graphic novels that I wouldn't read on my Kobo anyways.

I need to get K4PC running on my Linux partition so I can Alf a couple of novels though. (An author I like is Amazon exclusive. Annoying.)
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:30 PM   #34
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
I buy primarily from Amazon and Kobo.

I do my browsing on the Amazon site because it’s easier to navigate. Once I’ve found a book I want I search for it on the Kobo site. If the prices are close I buy from Kobo. I have no worries about Amazon going out of business but I want to do my bit to keep Kobo alive in the US – partly because I prefer Kobo ereaders and partly because I think competition is a good thing.

Kobo’s VIP program works well for me, even though the annual free book selection hasn’t had much that appeals to me lately. The points add up to a few free books every year and the discounts on the non-agency books often make them a bit cheaper at Kobo than at Amazon.

I strip DRM, keep everything in my Calibre library (with multiple backups), and sideload everything. I don’t care about the features of the various ecosystems.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:31 PM   #35
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I picked Amazon as likely to be around the longest, but I'm going to change that to Kobo. Kobo will be around long enough for my purposes and its much handier to have the option of downloading directly to my devices.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2017, 12:40 PM   #36
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Lately, it's been Google and Kobo. Google for the promotions. Kobo for price matching and direct downloads.

I've reached the point I just want to buy and read and not use Calibre.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:53 PM   #37
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
I do my browsing on the Amazon site because it’s easier to navigate. Once I’ve found a book I want I search for it on the Kobo site.
How funny. The company that is primarily responsible for showrooming is not being showroomed.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:55 PM   #38
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
The Sony store I used to buy from when I first got an ereader no longer exists. However, the main reason I got the ereader was for library books and I get still books from the Overdrive library as well as Google Play and Booksamillion.com.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:39 AM   #39
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I buy ebooks from amazon and don't have software from amazon. adobe, microsoft, or apple installed on my computer.
I'm guessing you don't read on a Kobo then
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:54 AM   #40
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
A lot has changed in the world of eBooks the past fifteen years. I'm curious... If you were to start your eBook collection all over again, what store(s) and/or legitimate source(s) (Project Gutenberg, et al.), would you primarily obtain them from?
In a way, I kind of have. When I first got my ereader I went for freebies and tons of freebies. My e-reader was stuffed with books I really didn't have much of a curiosity about except for the fact they were free.

A while ago I reviewed my library, and looked at what I am actually interested in keeping, and deleted a bunch of books I knew I would never read. Several hundred, actually. Most of what I kept were from MR, Gutenberg and books that had actually cost me some money.

I now mostly buy from Amazon and Google play, I focus less on the cost, (although I still have a limit) and more on the "do I want the book?" aspect.

Being more judicious in my choices has helped me maintain more of an interest in my reading.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:12 AM   #41
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
In a way, I kind of have. When I first got my ereader I went for freebies and tons of freebies. My e-reader was stuffed with books I really didn't have much of a curiosity about except for the fact they were free.
I suspect many if not most went through a freebie phase. I was lucky, I suppose, in that most of the freebies were from Amazon and I've never had a Kindle, so the freebies languished since it wasn't worth the bother of doing anything with them. I also didn't grab everything and I came to my senses relatively early on at that, decided to make my Amazon library more muscular and did the big purge. Then you could only delete books from your Amazon account one. book. at. a. time. and it was an excruciatingly slow process. (Even now it's pretty slow, but at least you can do ten books at a time.) It was a salutary lesson and I was lucky at that, since I know for many their Amazon libraries are irretrievable in any useful sense.

Even now, I'll take a quick look at my Amazon library occasionally and see what can go. I wish it were smaller still. The two major areas remaining for the chopper are the public domain books I "bought" to get Whispersynced priced classics and the Open Road Media books from a year ago. The first, of course, should go because they'll always be free somewhere, and with the second, while I restricted myself to authors I've liked and books of interest, the reality is that most will never be read. I've done some purging, but I need to be more aggressive. As for the PD books, which I do expect to read (listen to) at some point, I figure they do no harm and are an easy way to access the content since they're already in my library.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:55 AM   #42
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, and if (as I do) you have K4PC set up as your "Default Device" at Amazon, books get sent there automatically on purchase, so it's just a case of buying the book, running K4PC (which causes any bought books to download) and copying from there into Calibre.
I am sure Harry knows this but others might not. Calibre can be set to automatically import the books from K4PC

Last edited by Gardenman; 11-30-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:17 AM   #43
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
I'm guessing you don't read on a Kobo then
Actually, I do, but not very often.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:43 AM   #44
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
I am sure Harry knows this but others might not. Calibre can be set to automatically import the books from K4PC
Thank you.
I for one did not know that. Are you using settings Add Books -> Automatic Adding
to accomplish that?
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:28 AM   #45
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
Thank you.
I for one did not know that. Are you using settings Add Books -> Automatic Adding
to accomplish that?
To answer my own question:

Go to Preferences -> Adding Books -> Automatic Adding

Here you can specify the folder that K4PC uses to place the books.
I have only checked Check for duplicates when adding files

Please note that Calibre deletes all files that are imported from the specified directory.

I started with deleting all files in the specified directory.

It will not be practical to use K4PC as an ebook reader, but that is of no concern for me.

It works very well. Buy a book from Amazon and let K4PC be your Amazon standard reader. The book appear auromatically in Calibre and the apprentice has done his magic.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote