Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-07-2017, 02:38 PM   #1
catonroof
catonroof began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900, iPad Mini, Kobo Aura One
Kobo A1 sync doesn't download newer firmware

My device is Kobo A1 and is on firmware 4.2.8283.
I run a sync everyday since the new firmware was announced but my device doesn't get it. Ideas anyone?

Last edited by catonroof; 02-07-2017 at 02:42 PM. Reason: better title
catonroof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:45 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Whenever Kobo has a new firmware release it can be weeks (months) before all devices get it on a sync as they stagger the release.

In the past folks have gotten it earlier in two ways I know of. 1) by downloading and installing manually or 2) by changing the affiliate.conf file in the .kobo folder to one that's known to already have gotten the firmware (for my Aura HD it used to be bestbuyca that always seemed to get it first).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #3
catonroof

My affiliate is KoboIndigo. The current firmware I got a day after announcement.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:18 AM   #4
catonroof

I changed the affiliate to 'bestbuyca' and even restarted the device. It didn't find any updates. Reverted to the original. I'll have to wait patiently for my turn.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:33 AM   #5
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
With every Kobo I've had (I'm on my third now), I know the new firmware is waiting for me when my device starts to behave a little oddly. Sometimes its a wrong sleep cover, sometimes its sluggishness on waking. That is usually the precursor to new firmware being ready for me. I leave all my devices off wireless, but sure enough, when I turn them on, there is the update.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:45 AM   #6
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by catonroof View Post
My device is Kobo A1 and is on firmware 4.2.8283.
I run a sync everyday since the new firmware was announced but my device doesn't get it. Ideas anyone?
I'm waiting patiently, no new firmware here either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:18 AM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I'm waiting patiently, no new firmware here either.
You can always download the new firmware using the links scattered around this forum and then sideload it. Just make sure you get the right hardware version for your device. For the completist, I seem to remember the original Kobo is Mark 1 and the Kobo Wifi is Mark 2.

Code:
Mark 3
    Touch (N905/N905B Model) 

Mark 4
    TouchLC (Low Cost N905C Model)
    Mini
    Glo
    Aura HD 

Mark 5
    Aura
    Aura H2O 

Mark 6
    Glo HD
    Touch 2.0
    Aura Edition 2
    Aura ONE
When manually downloading the firmware, the hardware version is part of the URL -- in the sample below, the kobo5 indicates you are downloading firmware for Mark 5 hardware (original Aura, Aura H2O).

Code:
http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwares/kobo5/Jan2017/kobo-update-4.2.8432.zip
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, kobo a1, sync