Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-26-2017, 02:19 AM   #1
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
What's up with Kobo Tsukushi Mincho?

This is a very nice-looking font. IMO, it's the best-looking of the defaults, and superior to, say, Bookerly and Literata. Or ... it would be, if not for some oddities. Ellipses are weird, and hyphens have a large space before them (bigger issue than the ellipses; it breaks up reading flow)—and it uses fake italics! Yet despite those issues, it actually has ligatures in the ePub reader, unlike several of the other builtins.

Is this font not meant for general reading?
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 03:41 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
It is mainly for reading Japanese language books I think. Most Chinese/Japanese/Korean fonts have latin glyphs included, but they are not necessarily well proportioned or fully functional for reading in latin languages, they are just there more to allow latin text to be displayed alongside Chinese/Japanese/Korean.

Last edited by GeoffR; 11-26-2017 at 04:00 AM. Reason: ... not necessarily well proportioned or fully functional ...
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Funny thing is, I like this font best of the builtins too.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:05 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Funny thing is, I like this font best of the builtins too.
Yeah, it was my go-to font before I installed Noto Serif and Literata.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:55 PM   #5
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
It is really nice, too bad there is no italics. This is designed by Shigenobu Fujita, he is a genius.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:50 AM   #6
Vanguard3000
Groupie
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Since the latest (4.8.x) update, this has been made the default font when set to use the publisher font (when such font is not present), and I'm finding it awful to read with. As tiltowait mentioned, the ellipses are vertically centred, and italics don't show up on my Aura H2O. I've had to switch it back to Georgia, but this means that ePub onboard fonts won't show.

I feel like the device reading setting should have a checkbox to enable ePub fonts, as well as a dropdown to set a default font.
Vanguard3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:40 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard3000 View Post
Since the latest (4.8.x) update, this has been made the default font when set to use the publisher font (when such font is not present), and I'm finding it awful to read with. As tiltowait mentioned, the ellipses are vertically centred, and italics don't show up on my Aura H2O. I've had to switch it back to Georgia, but this means that ePub onboard fonts won't show.

I feel like the device reading setting should have a checkbox to enable ePub fonts, as well as a dropdown to set a default font.
Have a look at the thread for the 4.8.10956 firmware. This change has been extensively discussed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:56 PM   #8
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
It’s definitely bizarre that it’s become the default font, given the deficiencies. When I first read that bit of news, I was excited because it surely must mean they updated the font. Nope.
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:50 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltowait View Post
It’s definitely bizarre that it’s become the default font, given the deficiencies. When I first read that bit of news, I was excited because it surely must mean they updated the font. Nope.
The reason they changed it to the default font is because of the deficiencies of the other fonts. This has the most complete set of glyphs of any of the fonts on the device. Using this as the default or fallback font means that characters missing from the selected font will be displayed, even if they look a bit different to the other characters.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote