Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

View Poll Results: One a scale of One to Five, How technologically oriented are you?
One 3 3.53%
Two 5 5.88%
Three 6 7.06%
Four 18 21.18%
Five 53 62.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2007, 09:18 AM   #16
mocelet
Connoisseur
mocelet began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad / Palm Vx / Nokia E65
Thinking about ease of use - I have not tried the Companion software, but if it helps novice users get the basic functions working on the iLiad, then why don't iRex put the installer on the internal filesystem with an autorun file that starts the installer when you first connect the iLiad to your PC by USB?

That would probably go a long way to making it easier for most users to get useful stuff done, and it wouldn't add any CDs to the packaging.
mocelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:33 AM   #17
MarkRPenn
Connoisseur
MarkRPenn began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocelet View Post
Thinking about ease of use - I have not tried the Companion software, but if it helps novice users get the basic functions working on the iLiad, then why don't iRex put the installer on the internal filesystem with an autorun file that starts the installer when you first connect the iLiad to your PC by USB?

That would probably go a long way to making it easier for most users to get useful stuff done, and it wouldn't add any CDs to the packaging.
Do you mean the installer for the companion software? If you do, then I don't think that'd help, because the companion software is part of the problem!

I find the Iliad easy enough to use, but even so IDS and the companion software are poorly explained and seem to make you go through hoops just to do basic stuff. Even the name IDS doesn't help! I guess they'll eventually offer other content via it, but for now at least why isn't it just called the "update service"?

If Irex want the Iliad to be widely adopted, they have to make it behave the way people think it will. For that they should add:

- An easy to use file manager to allow files to be moved arround on the device.

- Transparent merging of scribbles with the original doc on the device; we should be able to simply connect to a computer (without the silly companion software), and copy a fully merged doc over to our PC/Mac/Linux box.

- Easy networking, so I can connect to any computer on my network and cpy files over.

- Some much more useable notes options, such as cancelling a note without saving, easy naming, and easy template creation/filing.

- Proper third party software support, so I can BUY an app and install it simply using a one click installer, and without affecting my warranty.

Last edited by MarkRPenn; 10-13-2007 at 09:36 AM.
MarkRPenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2007, 12:27 PM   #18
DeGodefroi
Zealot
DeGodefroi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite (had Illiad)
Actually, there is no reason to void the warranty. Since you have the re flash tool to 2.10 also!
So, the void warranty is ONLY for the time that it was bricked thanks to your own tinkering. You had then to send the Iliad to Irex to unbrick it..at your own costs. Even in warranty time.
DeGodefroi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 11:49 AM   #19
MarkRPenn
Connoisseur
MarkRPenn began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeGodefroi View Post
Actually, there is no reason to void the warranty. Since you have the re flash tool to 2.10 also!
So, the void warranty is ONLY for the time that it was bricked thanks to your own tinkering. You had then to send the Iliad to Irex to unbrick it..at your own costs. Even in warranty time.
No I know it doesn't void the warranty, but it does affect it, in that I can't get support from Irex to help sort out any problems.

If I choose to develop for the Iliad, and hence mess it up while experimenting, that's understandable, but I look forward to the day when there is a selection of apps I can buy and install without worrying about who'll help me out if it goes wrong.

That's all part of being friendly to "ordinary users" IMHO.

Mark
MarkRPenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:31 PM   #20
Almagne
Enthusiast
Almagne began at the beginning.

I voted for a three.

Back in the DOS days (and Win3.11) I would have been a 4 or 5, but times change (and programs change) and it just takes too much time to become really proficient. It seems by the time I get good at something...the rules change and a new package comes out. The last time I actually wrote a full fledged program was back in 1994-95 during graduate school when teaching Freshman Engineering students Pascal! I just never needed to learn C++ and Object Oriented Programming. Java is what I drink in the morning; Python, a snake in the zoo.

That is why I have not gotten shell access. The time it would take to get proficient and everything running would be wiped away when the next version of the iLiad software comes out. I am happy to follow the development of the community and will be happy to use the fruit of your efforts - when it can be installed without shell access.

I do build myself a new computer about every 2 years and update it often. It seems that hardware changes but the changes are different from the software changes. I can keep up without expending tremendous effort. I probably rate a 4 in regards to computer hardware (5 in the months when updating my system). Consequently, it seems that Adam's thesis that we are a technical bunch is fundamentally correct for me also - but not in reference to the current software packages.

So although it is a 3, if I really wanted to I could be a 4 or 5.
Almagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2007, 09:18 PM   #21
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I picked 5, but only according to Adam's definitions. I'm not a developer, but I'm pretty comfortable with most available OSs and I had the shell access before the CF flash option was available (though I'm much more adventurous in trying new apps now that I can re-flash!)

I really think the ability to install apps needs to be improved, though. We need a community IDS equivalent that can be used on the iLiad itself to install new packages. Something like Synaptic on Ubuntu.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:26 PM   #22
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
When interpreting the results of the poll, bear in mind that there's a built in bias. By having the poll in this forum, you're self-selecting for people who
  1. have an iLiad,
  2. use a computer,
  3. are on the internet fairly often, and
  4. are SO interested in the iLiad that they found their way to this forum and registered.
That pretty much rules out most people who would vote for 1 and 2.

I voted for 5.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:35 AM   #23
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Very good points, jharker. We often forget about self-selection when we create internet polls, but it's a real and pervasive problem. (Well, it's a problem if you forget and assume you have a good sample of both internet and non-internet users....)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:07 AM   #24
Goshzilla
Zealot
Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket Ebook 1150
Although I am not an iRex owner, I am a prospective one, I have my hopes pinning for v2.0 and if by the time I save up the money for one they come out with a larger screen I'd easily choose the larger screen version.

I'd rate myself a five, although my programming skills thus far have been limited to writing only scripts that get the job done, I think the way you defined it doesn't take into account programming.

Regardless I am comfortable with using a computer, I pieced my own together so I pretty much know when a piece of hardware on it will fail and why. I took apart my Ebookwise 1150 the first week I got it just so I could see the insides. and if I get a iRex I'd be tempted to do the same with it.
Goshzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:55 PM   #25
brianfcox
brianfcox began at the beginning.

Device: iRex
I gave myself a 5, but I'd like to answer another poll upon who has time to do all the extra work on iLiad to use additional functionality.
I'm suffering buyers remorse on my iLiad. It seems like every feature beyond plain ol vanilla book reading requires me accessing the shell. Not the type of usability I'd expected what is meant to be a portable device
brianfcox is offline   Reply With Quote