Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-03-2006, 07:40 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
iLiad < > eFlyBook - software differences

I had a quick look at the Arinc eFlyBook and I noticed that by 99.9% it uses the same software as the iLiad. In fact, the only difference is in /etc/er_registry.txt.

---

iRex iLiad:
[USER_APPLICATIONS]
uaIDList=BROWSER;XPDF;APABIMOBI;IMAGEVIEWER;SETUP; PROFILES;EBA

Arinc eFlyBook:
[USER_APPLICATIONS]
uaIDList=BROWSER;XPDF;APABIMOBI;IMAGEVIEWER;SETUP; PROFILES;ARINC;EBA

[ARINC]
category=viewer
arguments=
exec=/media/card/arinc/bin/ereader_mapviewer
xResourceName=arinc
channel=13
extensions=ari;ARI

---

The eFlyBook adds an extra menu item to start the Arinc Mapviewer application. What's interesting: the viewer is started from an external media location...
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:51 AM   #2
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW

The eFlyBook adds an extra menu item to start the Arinc Mapviewer application. What's interesting: the viewer is started from an external media location...
Funny, you are telling that Arinc users are able to start any script they wish by just putting bash instead of the arincviewer in the external media and naming xxx.ari to the script. It is not fair!!! I hope at least they will be overcharged

Last edited by arivero; 09-03-2006 at 08:54 AM.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2006, 09:54 AM   #3
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
well, the eFlyBook is another market.

But you're right, this isn't fair
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:12 AM   #4
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unless you fake the MAC of your iLiad to one that's internally listed as a FlyBook on iDS; then you would download the FlyBook firmware and the rest should be easy ;-)

I can throw in a list of valid FlyBook MAC addresses... faking it would be another issue though. Perhaps through injection with Ettercap.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:03 AM   #5
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
I believe we would need MAC adresses and logins.

Changing the MAC adress during a Man-in-the-middle-attack should be possible - but i have no experience with ettercap.
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2006, 02:17 PM   #6
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Note that arinc users will receive the updates of Arinc coming from/for the external media. So perhaps even a different update application could be called.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:21 PM   #7
TadW
Uebermensch

I thought so too first. But it appears only the map software is being supplied by Arinc; eFlyBook users still use iDS to update their reader.

But I find it very encouraging that at least some of us can run virtually *any* app just by this extra little entry in the registry file.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:26 PM   #8
TadW
Uebermensch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHer
I believe we would need MAC adresses and logins.
I think the way iDS works is by locking the type of your reader to its MAC address. So your existing login should work; only the MAC address needs to be registered as one for the eFlyBook.

Quote:
Changing the MAC adress during a Man-in-the-middle-attack should be possible - but i have no experience with ettercap.
Yeah, but it's not trivial. When the reader connects with iDS, it transmits its MAC address through the headers as 64-bit extended identifier ("eserver-eui64"). So basically you would have to intercept the headers and replace the EUI64.