Notices

Old 03-21-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
Student1
Groupie
Student1 doesn't litterStudent1 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Restoring collection if it gets erased by reader

Hi folks,

just wondering if there is a way to restore a collection if the reader erases them. All books are there, but for some reason the reader randomly deletes the collection... so up until now i ve been uploading the books again and again.(prs 505).

Is there an easy way to do this? Is there a way to force the reader to get the collection info. I use calliber to manage my books btw. I hope the books hold the metadata information about their collection and its not the software the edit the xml to get it to show the collections...

thanks
Student1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
My 505 would do this from time to time (usually to stuff on a memory card) and I'd just clean it off and do a quick resync of everything I wanted on there. I don't think you can sync with Calibre though.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
Student1
Groupie

Same thing for me, all the stuff on the sd card looses its collections after a while! Thats a shame, its really a bad bug! Can't believe they haven t ironed out stuff like that already...

Thanks for the reply!
Old 03-22-2009, 12:12 AM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Someone asked on another thread how to delete an empty Collection (from Calibre) and Kovid posted all they had to do was send any new book with a tag or series. The implication was, the Reader updates the Collections every time. Did you try adding a new book which would be added to a collection to see if it would update the old list, too? Or, maybe you could try to add a book with a new collection name?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:15 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You just have to resend all books and bug SONY to fix their software
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:47 AM   #6
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student1
just wondering if there is a way to restore a collection if the reader erases them. All books are there, but for some reason the reader randomly deletes the collection... so up until now i ve been uploading the books again and again.(prs 505).
That's what I do.

Quote:
Is there an easy way to do this? Is there a way to force the reader to get the collection info.
Well, it's pretty easy for me - I use my file manager to copy all books, then call a single command line utility which regenerates all collection information.

Quote:
I hope the books hold the metadata information about their collection and its not the software the edit the xml to get it to show the collections...
Your hope is misplaced - collections are only stored in the XML. Which makes them easy to update using external tools.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:52 AM   #7
Student1
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
That's what I do.

Well, it's pretty easy for me - I use my file manager to copy all books, then call a single command line utility which regenerates all collection information.

Your hope is misplaced - collections are only stored in the XML. Which makes them easy to update using external tools.
Thanks for the help guys, guess i learned my lesson, i will backup that damm xml file! Boy does sony need to fix this very annoying bug!
Old 03-22-2009, 01:44 AM   #8
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student1 View Post
Thanks for the help guys, guess i learned my lesson, i will backup that damm xml file! Boy does sony need to fix this very annoying bug!
I wish! Couldn't really care about collections, I can regenerate them all in less than a minute with a single command, but what annoys me greatly is losing the bookmarks.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:59 AM   #9
Student1
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
I wish! Couldn't really care about collections, I can regenerate them all in less than a minute with a single command, but what annoys me greatly is losing the bookmarks.
I would too but the problem is i have 27000+ books in calibre. When i upload the books i hand pickk them... so re uploading them is really a horrible chore!
Old 03-22-2009, 08:03 AM   #10
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
I would too but the problem is i have 27000+ books in calibre. When i upload the books i hand pickk them... so re uploading them is really a horrible chore!
Give all the ones you want to read a tag, e.g. "Active", then you can select them easily?

On your intial point though, I've only had the reader loose collections/password when it's crashed & reset, which for me has only happened in 'normal' use with certain ePub conversions. By avoiding them, I've not had any problems - is there any common factor with the issues you're had?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:19 AM   #11
Student1
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Give all the ones you want to read a tag, e.g. "Active", then you can select them easily?

On your intial point though, I've only had the reader loose collections/password when it's crashed & reset, which for me has only happened in 'normal' use with certain ePub conversions. By avoiding them, I've not had any problems - is there any common factor with the issues you're had?
Thanks, i actually started using a rating system... so i know the ones i always upload to the reader... so if it happens i just reupload the rated ones.

I think the issue was more with sony software being loaded at the same time... hasn thappened since i stayed clear of it!
Old 03-27-2009, 08:54 AM   #12
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
I think the issue was more with sony software being loaded at the same time... hasn thappened since i stayed clear of it!
Ah, that would explain it if you tried to use them both to manage the device at the same time, as they'd both be writing the the same 'index' file. Only run one at a time & you should be fine!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #13
Student1
Groupie

Yes that was 100% the reason! No problems now! Thanks