Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-11-2008, 06:06 AM   #46
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Thanks, looking forward to it (and hoping the move away from the database may speed it up slightly
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:42 AM   #47
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty-horse View Post
Using unix tools, go to the directory where you unzipped the ePub and use these commands to re-create the ePub file.

zip -v0X perdido-fixed.epub mimetype
zip -vr perdido-fixed.epub * -x target.epub mimetype
The single command
Code:
zip -vur perdido-fixed.epub mimetype *
works too. See Explode and Implode an ePub?, which was provoked by your very informative post.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:24 AM   #48
stevew
stevew began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Still no response from Panmacmillan but the rebuild of the ebup file worked a treat, thank you.
For info I'm running my Reader on a MacBookAir with Parallels to authorise, but the drag and drop from ADE 1.5 for Mac works perfectly for transferring books so I don't have to use the nasty Sony software.
I also gleaned the following from Adobe about authorisation - may be interesting to someone:

To deauthorize/deactivate your portable reader, please connect this to
the PC and do the following:
Deactivate a PC with Digital Editions 1.5:
Launch Digital Editions 1.5
Enter the unpublished key-combination of Cmd-Shift-D (Mac OS X) or
Ctrl-Shift-D (Windows)
At the dialog, confirm that you wish to de-activate the machine
Quit Digital Editions
To reactivate and authorize the machine using the same or a new AdobeID,
just relaunch Digital Editions. You will be prompted to activate.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:33 PM   #49
salty-horse
Wizard
salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
stevew, I'm glad the rebuilding worked!

I have been contacted by Macmillan, but I don't have any news yet.
salty-horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:57 AM   #50
finex
finex began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
For the record, I just tried to order Stealing Light and Ghost Brigades in Microsoft Reader format, and the server is still FUBAR:

"We're sorry, but the action you have just taken has caused an error on the website."

Perdido Street Station in MobiPocket format worked fine though.

I've called their customer service number, and currently nobody has a clue who deals with it! Has anyone who got a fixed version sent to them got a contact name/ number/ address that I could throw at them?!
finex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:00 PM   #51
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I just contacted their web support and pretty quickly got a reply back from Michael Bhasker (will message you his email address if you want, but I'd rather not subject him to too much unless the normal route doesn't work!)

Last edited by simond; 09-23-2008 at 12:12 PM.
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:04 AM   #52
finex
finex began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Smile

Hi Simon,
I have just spoken to Michael myself, and what a helpful guy he is! Got my books emailed in ePub format and they are fine.

He said that they are selling a lot of the DRM free books, and I told him it was a definite selling point for a lot of people. However, for the time being he has this advice for you all:

Don't buy the books in Microsoft Reader format!

They are having problems with the format at their end, but whilst they are working on it, you will get a more reliable experience using the other formats.
finex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:18 PM   #53
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I'm finding the Pan MacMillan web site hard to use.

Clicking on "All Ebooks", I'm offered 13 books on 2 pages, two of which have not yet been released. Gibson's Stealing Light is not one of the 13 books in the list, but the book is still available if I follow the link from an earlier post in this thread. I'd be much more likely to purchase books there if they were easy to find.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:46 PM   #54
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I'm finding the Pan MacMillan web site hard to use.
You are not alone.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:05 PM   #55
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Cultural Amnesia by Clive James is apparently still available but it isn't found in any form by Pan Macmillan's search.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drm-free epub, epub, publisher