Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 08-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #91
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Not correct. The latest Flash 11.1 plus Firefox BETA or the previous version of Dolphin (not current) work fine.
What did I say that was "not correct"? The Google Play store will not let you install flash on a Nexus 7. And I did mention a "hackish workaround" (side-loading). What I said was correct.

I side-loaded flash per xda-developers instructions shortly after I posted that message a couple of weeks ago. This works for some things, but others still say I need to install flash. At least it is better than it was. I can even play youtube videos inside chrome.

It will not let you install the latest flash though in any normal way. The flash installer reports "unsupported device". How did you accomplish it? You did, right? Or are you saying others are wrong without actually having done it yourself?

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-11-2012 at 09:17 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #92
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
What did I say that was "not correct"? The Google Play store will not let you install flash on a Nexus 7. And I did mention a "hackish workaround" (side-loading). What I said was correct.

I side-loaded flash per xda-developers instructions shortly after I posted that message a couple of weeks ago. This works for some things, but others still say I need to install flash. At least it is better than it was. I can even play youtube videos inside chrome.

It will not let you install the latest flash though in any normal way. The flash installer reports "unsupported device". How did you accomplish it? You did, right? Or are you saying others are wrong without actually having done it yourself?
Yes, I have done this. There is nothing "hackish" about side-loading an app. Using this method to install Flash 11.1 and Dolphin Browser HD v8.5.1 work. I can access all my Flash sites including streaming Amazon VOD.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:40 PM   #93
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Yes, I have done this. There is nothing "hackish" about side-loading an app. Using this method to install Flash 11.1 and Dolphin Browser HD v8.5.1 work. I can access all my Flash sites including streaming Amazon VOD.
It is "hackish" for those who like to impress their technophobe friends and family.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:38 AM   #94
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
This is the guide I followed:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1774336

It provides download links for mediafire.com and other UNOFFICIAL download sites. These are NOT guaranteed to be unhacked versions. Downloading files from sites OTHER THAN the author site IS "hackish".

Because side loading requires changing a security setting to allow installing "non-appMarket apps", AND because you get a big warning about this being a security risk, for many people, bypassing security and the big scary warning message ARE "hackish".

It is adobe flash 11.1.102.59 and dolphin browser HD 8.5.1. I have been using these for two weeks now. This is not the latest version of flash (Version 11.1.115.12) which was released 2012 Aug 5. In fact, it is 7 versions old.

It does work at many sites (even in the chrome browser), but not all. Some sites still say I need to install the latest flash browser.

You said 2012 Aug 10 that you are running the "latest 11.1", but exactly which of the 8 released versions of 11.1 are you running? When I tried a newer one, it refused to install, so I had to go back to an older version as shown at xda-developers.

So, how can relaxing security settings AND bypassing warning messages AND downloading from unofficial sites NOT be considered "hackish"?

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-12-2012 at 08:39 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:40 AM   #95
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
It provides download links for mediafire.com and other UNOFFICIAL download sites. These are NOT guaranteed to be unhacked versions. Downloading files from sites OTHER THAN the author site IS "hackish".
That seems to rule out the whole concept of central app stores.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:04 AM   #96
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
That seems to rule out the whole concept of central app stores.
Not if app creators place them there.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote