Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 04-03-2021, 08:45 PM   #16
morty92222
Enthusiast
morty92222 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Okay, so after hours upon hours of investigation I concluded the following:
The default setup for EPUBs in Sigil is not compatible with Apple's OS, whether iOS or macOS. Noticed that I am talking about fonts embedding. I checked the files you guys sent and I could see Calibre in there. Calibre probably -for the lake of a better term- "made the file compatible" before exporting it as EPUB.

I was able to avoid this problem by either 1. creating the EPUB first with Apple's Pages, or with 2. Jutoh. Then, I'd edit the EPUB in Sigil.

Note: I just noticed that this question was posted in Calibre section! LOL. I am very sorry. But it does strengthen my conclusion. Sigil defaults do not set up a compatible EPUB for Apple's OSs.

Last edited by morty92222; 04-03-2021 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Added the note.
morty92222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 05:22 AM   #17
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by morty92222 View Post
Okay, so after hours upon hours of investigation I concluded the following:
The default setup for EPUBs in Sigil is not compatible with Apple's OS, whether iOS or macOS. Noticed that I am talking about fonts embedding.
What? The problem is that Apple requires a specially designed file:

com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml

+ some other minor tweaks depending on EPUB2 vs. EPUB3 (as others have explained).

Once you do those tweaks, iBooks will display embedded fonts.

Sigil supports everything just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty92222 View Post
Calibre probably -for the lake of a better term- "made the file compatible" before exporting it as EPUB.
Calibre's Editor easily lets you embed the font + subset it too, so many people use that since it's easy:

Tools > Embed referenced fonts
Tools > Subset embedded fonts

Many years ago, you had to use a handful of different plugins to do it, and now it's built right in as long as you design your CSS properly!

In Sigil, you're still able to manually add the OTF files and subset using plugins/tools.

For example, Toxaris created the Sigil Plugin:

"ePUB Optimizer"

Or Toxaris still has his older standalone tool:

"FontShrinker - tool to subset a font"

And to make sure your CSS is referencing fonts correctly, there's Doitsu's "CSSFromFonts" plugin.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 04-04-2021 at 05:29 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2021, 06:27 AM   #18
morty92222
Enthusiast
morty92222 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
What? The problem is that Apple requires a specially designed file:

com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml

+ some other minor tweaks depending on EPUB2 vs. EPUB3 (as others have explained).

Once you do those tweaks, iBooks will display embedded fonts.

Sigil supports everything just fine.

Calibre's Editor easily lets you embed the font + subset it too, so many people use that since it's easy:

Tools > Embed referenced fonts
Tools > Subset embedded fonts

Many years ago, you had to use a handful of different plugins to do it, and now it's built right in as long as you design your CSS properly!

In Sigil, you're still able to manually add the OTF files and subset using plugins/tools.

For example, Toxaris created the Sigil Plugin:

"ePUB Optimizer"

Or Toxaris still has his older standalone tool:

"FontShrinker - tool to subset a font"

And to make sure your CSS is referencing fonts correctly, there's Doitsu's "CSSFromFonts" plugin.
I’m pretty sure the font is embedded. I don’t think that’s entirely true since that extra file was included but it didn’t make a difference. If I create a EPUB from scratch in Sigil, it won’t automatically fully support Apples OS. Anyways, I was able to avoid this problem by using other software to create the EPUB.

If you could create an EPUB using only Sigil and embed a font and write one line and share it, I’d appreciate that.
morty92222 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, epub, font