Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 04-01-2021, 03:44 AM   #1
morty92222
Enthusiast
morty92222 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Why is this font working with h1 but not with p?

So I've been trying to figure out why the font is not working. It shows fine on Calibre but on iPhone or macOS (iBook) it is not working. Only the h1 seems to be working.

The book is 3 lines only. Could someone please take a look and advise. I am going crazy here.

I tried to delete all epubs on my Books app but it didn't help.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Notworking.epub (102.0 KB, 196 views)
morty92222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:22 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Are you really using iBooks or Books? iBooks is one of a number of old versions and Books newer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2021, 01:44 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
At a quick look at the epub, since it is an epub3 file, you need to add the metadata entry: <meta property="ibooks:specified-fonts">true</meta> to the content.opf file in the metadata section. I've done that in your sample epub and attached the modified version to this message. Let me know if if works.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Notworking.epub (102.0 KB, 169 views)
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:23 PM   #4
morty92222
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
At a quick look at the epub, since it is an epub3 file, you need to add the metadata entry: <meta property="ibooks:specified-fonts">true</meta> to the content.opf file in the metadata section. I've done that in your sample epub and attached the modified version to this message. Let me know if if works.
I tried it but it did not work. Also the attached file is having the same problem. As someone mentioned above, I am not using iBooks, I am using Books app that comes with macOS Big Sur and iOS 14.

Everything seems to be working in Sigil. However, viewing them on those 2 apps does not reflect that. I attached a pic from Sigil along with what I see in Books. As you can see, for some reason, the h1 is correct and the font is used. However, for p, this is not the case.

Thank you for trying to help me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	correct.png
Views:	180
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	186309   Click image for larger version

Name:	not correct.png
Views:	169
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	186310  
Old 04-01-2021, 03:44 PM   #5
morty92222
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are you really using iBooks or Books? iBooks is one of a number of old versions and Books newer.
I am using Books.
Advert
Old 04-01-2021, 03:47 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Attach your modified version so the OP can see exactly what it is you did.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:54 PM   #7
morty92222
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Attach your modified version so the OP can see exactly what it is you did.
He attached it. But it does not work. I can see the modification he did.
Old 04-01-2021, 05:12 PM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Your font declaration appears to contain some redundant entries. Also since this is an epub2 book, you might want to embed a com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml file. The version that I attached appears to display the correct font in Apple Books on my phone.
Attached Files
File Type: epub _Notworking.epub (102.3 KB, 211 views)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:54 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by morty92222 View Post
He attached it. But it does not work. I can see the modification he did.
Sorry, my screwup. I did the modification for an epub3 for Books/iBooks while doitsu did the correct modification with the com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml file for an epub2. All I had to do was to look at the top of the screen where Sigil happily said epub2.0.

Last edited by DNSB; 04-01-2021 at 05:57 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:59 PM   #10
morty92222
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Your font declaration appears to contain some redundant entries. Also since this is an epub2 book, you might want to embed a com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml file. The version that I attached appears to display the correct font in Apple Books on my phone.
Thank you. It seems to be working on macOS Books but not on iOS Books. I attached a picture. I also noticed that some of my files which are not working has that file. However, my file is editable on Sigil. Yours is not. I have to open it with VS Code to look into it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	880467CB-821A-4396-B7B8-513572DE308D_1_102_o.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	186315  

Last edited by morty92222; 04-01-2021 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:18 PM   #11
morty92222
Enthusiast

Quote:
Sorry, my screwup. I did the modification for an epub3 for Books/iBooks while doitsu did the correct modification with the com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml file for an epub2. All I had to do was to look at the top of the screen where Sigil happily said epub2.0.
Thank you. However, even after the modification it seems to be working only on macOS Books. iOS Books is still not working and not showing the embedded font.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:46 PM   #12
morty92222
Enthusiast

I was reading documentation for how to make epub for Books and Apple is saying that its apps can handle both epub 2 and 3.

Last edited by morty92222; 04-01-2021 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:51 AM   #13
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you. It seems to be working on macOS Books but not on iOS Books.
It works with the Apple Books app on my iPhone. You must have a rather old iOS device.

Quote:
However, my file is editable on Sigil. Yours is not.
I'm assuming that you're referring to com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml. That file can't be edited in Sigil, but it never needs to be edited anyway.

Quote:
I was reading documentation for how to make epub for Books and Apple is saying that its apps can handle both epub 2 and 3.
That's true, however, Apple seems to prefer epub3 books. BTW, you can convert epub2 books to epub3 books both with Calibre and Sigil.
If you convert your book to an epub3 book, you'll need to add <meta property="ibooks:specified-fonts">true</meta> to the content.opf file. You'll also need to add the ibooks namespace to the <package> tag.
For more information, see the Apple Books Asset Guide.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	iOS.png
Views:	156
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	186321  
Old 04-02-2021, 02:04 AM   #14
morty92222
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
It works with the Apple Books app on my iPhone. You must have a rather old iOS device.

I'm assuming that you're referring to com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml. That file can't be edited in Sigil, but it never needs to be edited anyway.

That's true, however, Apple seems to prefer epub3 books. BTW, you can convert epub2 books to epub3 books both with Calibre and Sigil.
If you convert your book to an epub3 book, you'll need to add <meta property="ibooks:specified-fonts">true</meta> to the content.opf file. You'll also need to add the ibooks namespace to the <package> tag.
For more information, see the Apple Books Asset Guide.
I have iPhone 11 Pro with iOS 14. I have no clue how you got that to work! You just download the attached file? I did that and as the screenshot shows, it did not work!

It does not even show "Original" in font selection on iOS. Also, in Sigil it does not use the font!

Are you sure you did not install the font on your machine?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 1.02.29 AM.png
Views:	151
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	186323   Click image for larger version

Name:	4CD948B5-362A-48F5-A775-74B6C82B088F_1_102_o.jpeg
Views:	152
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	186324  
Old 04-02-2021, 03:37 AM   #15
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You just download the attached file? I did that and as the screenshot shows, it did not work!.
No, the screenshot was taken when I added my version of your file to Apple Books.

Quote:
I have iPhone 11 Pro with iOS 14.
I have an older model, and my font menu shows an Original option, which was checked.
Spoiler:

Quote:
Also, in Sigil it does not use the font!
It does show the font embedded in my version on my Windows 10 machine. What version do you use?

Quote:
Are you sure you did not install the font on your machine?
Yes.

Tags
calibre, epub, font