Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-01-2017, 10:31 PM   #1
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
e-ink reader with Calibre Companion

Does either the Aura One or Kindle Voyage have the capability for Calibre Companion to be installed without "gyrations"?

I several tablets & have installed CC as my library management of choice on the tablets in epub format. The Fire 8.9 also has CC installed.

Have not found any info regarding using CC in either Aura One or Voyage.

If no e-ink reader can have CC installed, will just continue using the tablets. The eyes have gone too blurry when trying to find info.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:54 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
CC is an Android (or iOS) app. Neither Kindle's nor Kobo's run on Android.

To run something like CC on an eInk device you'd need to look into devices from companies like Onyx Boox that run Android (albeit an old version of Android).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:21 AM   #3
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
+1 to what AnemicOak said.

I have a Boyue T63 and an Onyx Book C67ML Carta 2. Both are e-Ink e-readers. Both run Android 4.2.2. Both run CC very well. If you want CC and e-Ink, you'll need to go the Onyx or Boyue route. Note that Google Play Store is pre-installed in the Onyx but not so in the Boyue, so the Boyue would require a few "gyrations"!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:50 PM   #4
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you. Ordered the Onyx Book C67ML Carta 2.

Thought about the Aura One but did not find good detailed info regarding the Kobo utility plugin for Calibre; did see CC on "Kindle" but only reference was for the Fire & do not know how much difference in the OS between the Fire & Kindle e-ink.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:33 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
Thought about the Aura One but did not find good detailed info regarding the Kobo utility plugin for Calibre; did see CC on "Kindle" but only reference was for the Fire & do not know how much difference in the OS between the Fire & Kindle e-ink.
As AnemicOak said, you need an Android device to run CC. The Kobos and Kindles do not run Android. The Kindle Fire does run Android and hence can run CC.

For the Kobo and Kindle devices, calibre has drivers built in to communicate to the devices over a USB connection. These are documented and are discussed in the calibre forum.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:35 PM   #6
crane3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As AnemicOak said, you need an Android device to run CC. The Kobos and Kindles do not run Android. The Kindle Fire does run Android and hence can run CC.

For the Kobo and Kindle devices, calibre has drivers built in to communicate to the devices over a USB connection. These are documented and are discussed in the calibre forum.
Guess I was looking in the wrong forum as in Kobo!

Will check the Calibre forum. My main interest is whether the Kobo plugin will "translate" the Calibre tags into the Kobo collection database as that will same alot of time. Other than my use of the Calibre tags for use as my collection types, I don't do any editing of the epubs other than a download of metadata.

The Voyage is tempting as there is a Prime users discount that places the Voyage at $149.99; don't know how long tho. The Aura One is a nice size!
Old 04-03-2017, 10:12 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
Guess I was looking in the wrong forum as in Kobo!

Will check the Calibre forum. My main interest is whether the Kobo plugin will "translate" the Calibre tags into the Kobo collection database as that will same alot of time. Other than my use of the Calibre tags for use as my collection types, I don't do any editing of the epubs other than a download of metadata.
Yes, you can create collections based on the tags. But, it's a lot more flexible than that. You can use any column and more than one column.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote