Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2022, 04:41 PM   #31
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Wouldn't be Saturday without another "Amazon is eve-ill pee-pill" thread.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 04:43 PM   #32
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Wouldn't be another Amazon thread without people simping for them.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2022, 05:15 PM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Wouldn't be another Amazon thread without people simping for them.
Yeah.
Old 11-19-2022, 08:07 PM   #34
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Amazon hasn't used "two-day shipping" in their Prime ads in a while. It's "Fast & Free" or "Free delivery on millions of items as fast as today."
OK, but the dishonesty is still there. It's fast and $140 per year, not fast and free.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 09:06 PM   #35
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
OK, but the dishonesty is still there. It's fast and $140 per year, not fast and free.
The quotes are tied specifically to adverts for joining Prime, so the fact that you have to join and pay is clear. Nothing dishonest about it. People need to read what they are clicking OK for.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2022, 12:09 AM   #36
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I disagree. I see it as paying to read a book. I don't really care about subscription vs own. Readers and authors can decide for themselves which benefits them.
Somehow I feel like you and I are talking about two different things.

To simplify, if Amazon allowed a small-time author to list his books for sale on Kobo and Apple Book, it would cause fewer people to subscribe to Kindle Unlimited? I do not think so.

Many movies available to stream on HBO Max are also available to rent or purchase on Amazon. I have not yet said "I would rather pay to watch this movie rather than watch it for 'free' on a streaming service I am already signed up for."

Furthermore, Amazon doesn't mind allowing the majors to sell everywhere and list their wares on Kindle Unlimited. The only difference is the Big Five have more power than little indie authors.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 12:10 AM   #37
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Wouldn't be Saturday without another "Amazon is eve-ill pee-pill" thread.
Not every Amazon discussion is claiming they are evil.
Old 11-20-2022, 04:12 AM   #38
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The Kindle Select "benefit" to authors/publishers is a lie. They'll make more and serve readers better with ordinary KDP, then they can be also on Apple, Barnes & Noble, Kobo etc (All via Smashwords) and on Google Playbooks at no cost. If you publish via KDP adding "Select" only helps Amazon to dominate. It benefits Amazon the most and boosts DRM. That's why Amazon promotes KU so dishonestly to readers and KDP Select (rather than KDP) so hard to small content providers. The KU exclusivity doesn't apply yet to the big publishers.
Not all authors agree with this statement. One example: Jeremy Robinson. I have read some of his books. Here is a post on his website talking about his choice to move all his books over to KU. He found that KU earned more revenue than all the other platforms combined.

https://bewareofmonsters.com/page/5/

Quote:
Just a quick note to let all you Kindle Unlimited readers know that nearly my entire catalog of books is now available on KU.
Amazon requires exclusivity to have a book listed in Kindle Unlimited. That means we’ve had to pull all the books (but not the collections) from B&N, Kobo, Google Play, and iBooks. That sounds like a big sacrifice, but after doing a 6 month experiment where nearly all the books were pulled from KU, we learned that sales on all those other platforms combined did not come close to the revenue earned via KU.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 05:30 AM   #39
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Somehow I feel like you and I are talking about two different things.

To simplify, if Amazon allowed a small-time author to list his books for sale on Kobo and Apple Book, it would cause fewer people to subscribe to Kindle Unlimited? I do not think so.

Many movies available to stream on HBO Max are also available to rent or purchase on Amazon. I have not yet said "I would rather pay to watch this movie rather than watch it for 'free' on a streaming service I am already signed up for."

Furthermore, Amazon doesn't mind allowing the majors to sell everywhere and list their wares on Kindle Unlimited. The only difference is the Big Five have more power than little indie authors.
Sorry, I wasn't paying attention to that argument. I don't really care about it.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 05:59 AM   #40
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Also, authors on Amazon who don't enroll in the program seem at a... disadvantage on the Amazon platform. Readers who use KU may skip over books that they have to pay for, giving those ones an immediate strike against it.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 09:08 AM   #41
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Not every Amazon discussion is claiming they are evil.
Not everyone in every Amazon discussion is, but someone (or several someones) in every Amazon discussion almost invariably is.
Old 11-20-2022, 10:51 AM   #42
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I find KU to be a good value. I'm enjoying the books I'm reading.
I recently read a comment by a KU member stating that he finds KU authors to have some really great books, but also some really lousy books ...... just like his experience with "mainstream" authors. He believes, however, that the ratio of great to lousy is higher on KU than in the mainstream.

Has that been your experience?
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 11:47 AM   #43
monophoto
Connoisseur
monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Amazon Fire HD8 (2020)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm3 View Post
I recently read a comment by a KU member stating that he finds KU authors to have some really great books, but also some really lousy books ...... just like his experience with "mainstream" authors. He believes, however, that the ratio of great to lousy is higher on KU than in the mainstream.

Has that been your experience?
I was given a trial membership, but quickly found that the books that Amazon made available from KU were not in the genre that I enjoy reading, so I cancelled my membership. That's purely a matter of what interests me - I'm sure that many people find that the KU offering is very good.

I find that the selection available in my public library's e-book collection more closely matches my tastes.

Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by monophoto; 11-20-2022 at 11:49 AM.
monophoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 01:14 PM   #44
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Also, authors on Amazon who don't enroll in the program seem at a... disadvantage on the Amazon platform. Readers who use KU may skip over books that they have to pay for, giving those ones an immediate strike against it.
Well, that you can't really blame on Amazon.

I don't like Amazon forcing exclusivity on small time authors with no power. But people deciding they already pay for a subscription service and therefor don't want to buy other books... Hey, you can't have everything.
Old 11-20-2022, 01:17 PM   #45
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Not everyone in every Amazon discussion is, but someone (or several someones) in every Amazon discussion almost invariably is.